Grand Final 2004 = Carefactor 0%!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan26 said:
I thought last year was the same (in fact, the last two years), where I didn't particularly want either side to win, but I always go in the hope that I'll see a good game. Grand Final day is my favourite day of the year, regardless of who is in it, but Gee I'll tell you what, the AFL needs a fairytale Grand Final. Badly.

Having the two best teams in it is all well and good (and fair!), but we really need a game like the 1997 match-up to really capture the imagination of the neutral public.

Why? Figures would indicate the game is as popular as it has ever been with new markets growing. This may be my biased thinking, but I found 2000 the most boring year ever and I truly barely watched the GF. There was never any doubt Essendon would flog everyone that year because they were so good and nobody came out of the pack to challenge.

The intriguing thing about Brisbane, as great as they have been in September the last few years, is that they have an air of vulnerability. Every year they seem to have a hiccup, cop the odd touch up, suffer a bad run of injuries (at least the last 2 years anyway) etc. The only year they went into the GF as favourite, oddly enough, is the year they nearly got beaten. They've never even won the minor premiership yet everyone acknowledges them as the best.

Forgetting Brisbane, I find Port’s attempt to scale the mountain, after everything they’ve been through the last few years, intriguing as well. A famous club struggling to prove themselves in the big league and the only thing that stands between them and glory is the undisputed heavyweight champion.

One man’s meat is another man’s potatoes I know but it’s hard to see how this game doesn’t really interest the true footy fan. Generally speaking I think its disdain/disrespect for the infidels from interstate. Not saying that is the reason for your apathy but I think it’s the reason for most people’s….

Lions43 said:
Why? Figures would indicate the game is as popular as it has ever been with new markets growing. This may be my biased thinking, but I found 2000 the most boring year ever and I truly barely watched the GF. There was never any doubt Essendon would flog everyone that year because they were so good and nobody came out of the pack to challenge.

The intriguing thing about Brisbane, as great as they have been in September the last few years, is that they have an air of vulnerability. Every year they seem to have a hiccup, cop the odd touch up, suffer a bad run of injuries (at least the last 2 years anyway) etc. The only year they went into the GF as favourite, oddly enough, is the year they nearly got beaten. They've never even won the minor premiership yet everyone acknowledges them as the best.

Forgetting Brisbane, I find Port’s attempt to scale the mountain, after everything they’ve been through the last few years, intriguing as well. A famous club struggling to prove themselves in the big league and the only thing that stands between them and glory is the undisputed heavyweight champion.

One man’s meat is another man’s potatoes I know but it’s hard to see how this game doesn’t really interest the true footy fan. Generally speaking I think its disdain/disrespect for the infidels from interstate. Not saying that is the reason for your apathy but I think it’s the reason for most people’s….

Not the reason for my apathy at all. Like I said, I didn't really want either side in LAST years Grand Final to win either. And its not disrespect. We have 1v2 in the Grand Final, and that can only be fair. Sometimes, you just hope as a neutral fan, that a fairytale can present itself. Sometimes that might mean not having the best two teams in the GF, but as the 2002 Grand Final proved, that doesn't mean you can't have a great game.

Apart from my own club winning the flag, one thing I crave is a flag going to a team that hasn't won one for many years, be it a St.Kilda, Geelong, Melbourne or Sydney. We seem to be denied this fairytale year after year and just once I'd like to see us get it.

I do think Saturdays game will be a top shelf contest, and I'll be looking forward to that apsect of it, but the contest is only one part of the equation. The other part is the club match up. Who vs Who, irrespective of where they finished on the ladder. Talent wise we have the two best teams (that's the good part), but club wise, there is no one to support for the neutrals (which is the bad part.)

One thing that fascinated me for Port's first final at the MCG in 1999 was the noise generated by the Power fans. I look forward to the colour and noise they will provide. No doubt they will drown the Brisbane fans with their passion, and that type of atmosphere is something I am really looking forward too.

Until last night, the Prelim had been becoming more nad more popular. The theory is that it is the last big game open to the public at large. Last night’s crowd was disappointing for a Prelim. I wonder whether the comparatively small crowd is an indication the the Grand Final crowd will also be down.

W.C. Fry said:
i really cant understand this attitude from you vics

if YOUR team isnt the grand final why should you give a flying ******** as to where the other two teams come from?

best 2 sides in the last few years are meeting in the GF finally - hopefully will be a great game.

Actually I do understand the attitude. Its called passion for ones own club BUT it would be silly if the attitude was misguided towards ANY Victorian club still left and not a ho hum because their team isnt involved. My team is not involved so I wont be walking over broken glass to get to a TV . I am interested in the result and if I get time I will try and watch it. But I am working that day and hopefully I can sneak out early to watch it somewhere.

But I do think the trend of this thread is more towards the NON Victorian GF participation rather than say a NON Essendon GF particiaption :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final 2004 = Carefactor 0%!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back