AFL Grand Final Grand Final 2021 - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I second 76's CSA. Don't try this sh*t. Ever.

It’s been a while since I’ve hung out there. Do people still freely kayak through there, or have they blocked it off altogether?

In my current ‘hood there used to be an outflow channel from the cooling water of the nearby power station. Back in the day many of the local kids happily swam there against the heavy current for fitness, grateful to have access to warm water in the wintertime. Incredibly dangerous. Amazing that nobody died. But many of our country’s best swimmers came out of that era. The honour boards of the local pools are a who’s who of Australian swimming of the 50’s and 60’s.

I quite like that they don't harp on about controversial decisions like they used to.

I thought it was umpired well. I was barracking for the Dees and only yelled at the telly twice. Once when May wasn't paid a mark that was probably about a 70/30 decision and once when they paid a high contact free when Viney was standing stationary and some bloke headbutted his legs to get a free. There was one other Ginnivan style high contact, but they usually pay them, so it didn't bring out my wrath.

Umpiring was excellent with only a few minor question marks with players ducking into tackles and the resulting inconsistent calls. The rough play on Gawn getting his head smashed into the concrete ( poorly disguised as carpet) and the shoulder high tackle on Pickett were the only two obvious mistakes I saw.

It’s been a while since I’ve hung out there. Do people still freely kayak through there, or have they blocked it off altogether?

In my current ‘hood there used to be an outflow channel from the cooling water of the nearby power station. Back in the day many of the local kids happily swam there against the heavy current for fitness, grateful to have access to warm water in the wintertime. Incredibly dangerous. Amazing that nobody died. But many of our country’s best swimmers came out of that era. The honour boards of the local pools are a who’s who of Australian swimming of the 50’s and 60’s.

Yes, people still kayak but there's been a whole lot of "safety education" about swimming there, especially after heavy rain.

It's a magnificent natural resource.

I thought it split the middle. Must be old age (or the wine). :)
Haha. It was my first impression also. Still not convinced either but they slowed it down and seemed to think at best it was over post.

Umpiring was excellent with only a few minor question marks with players ducking into tackles and the resulting inconsistent calls. The rough play on Gawn getting his head smashed into the concrete ( poorly disguised as carpet) and the shoulder high tackle on Pickett were the only two obvious mistakes I saw.
I think Gawn put mayo on that and caused himself to spin into the ground with an embarrassing mark on his head. Daniel barely had him to spin him to that extent.

Would have been silly if he KO'd himself.

This afternoon I’m going to rewatch Buckley’s coaching farewell game. After that grand final I’m curious how the hell we managed to beat the dees.

We didn't let them kick goals by running out the front of the centre bounce! Dogs mids should hang their heads for that second half.

Surely it's time for all listed players to get a medal? It was great to watch all the Melbourne squad swarming on the ground wearing their footy jumpers. It's a long season and they all contributed.

Surely it's time for all listed players to get a medal? It was great to watch all the Melbourne squad swarming on the ground wearing their footy jumpers. It's a long season and they all contributed.
Agree, for all that played a game during the season would be my stipulation

Agree, for all that played a game during the season would be my stipulation
You can be named as medical sub, not get on the ground, but get the game credited to your total games played total.
Does that qualify for a medallion?
I think it doesn’t even qualify as a game played.
Totally against medallions for non participants on the day.

You can be named as medical sub, not get on the ground, but get the game credited to your total games played total.
I nearly addressed that by highlighting the played bit, (done now).

I wonder how our recently-retired Board member, you know......whats-her-name, the chick who barracks for the Doggies.....is going? Must have been upsetting seeing her beloved woofers lose so badly. Heart goes out to her ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn't let them kick goals by running out the front of the centre bounce! Dogs mids should hang their heads for that second half.

Before the game, I thought the biggest risk for the Dees was that their mids are so good that may be too cocky and not pay enough respect to Libba and co. It didn't dawn on me that the Dogs mids would be so stupid to not pay enough respect to the Dees mids.

It's not about class, it's their value to their team. Presti had been our best stopper for years. He could have put his hand up and got through. He has enormous integrity and selflessness.

The fact that May did the same hammy shows it was in no way 100%. He got away with it.

If the sub rule existed in 2010, Presti might have decided to play.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

A brilliant part of Oliver's goal late in third was Luke Jackson. He was streaming out of the middle with Viney next to him and Oliver further away. As he got pressured, Jackson bypassed the closest teammate Viney, for Oliver who is a much better kick who then nailed the goal. Brilliant, smart and well-summed up in a split second which indicates high footy IQ.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final Grand Final 2021 - Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs - Sat, Sept 25 - 5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back