Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk about putting words in someone's mouth

Lester had a couple of patches this year when he offered quite a lot on the rebound. Nobody expected that.

Also his lack of defensive ability cost us several times this season as well. And it's not putting words in people's mouth when it was clear most didn't see him as best 23 next year when it looked like we weren't winning the premiership this year

You find it very difficult to admit you are wrong don’t you. Have you actually ever been wrong? What did it feel like?

FFS how on earth this thread has degenerated into what the issue is with a couple of players barely 2 weeks after all the players have been totally awesome and delivered the impossible is mind numbing.

And that when you defend them you're asked to delve into the past as to what their real selves is and have an inquisition about it.

I mean seriously. I can't live this way any longer.

All our players are fantastic.

There's no reason why we can't go back to back provided the list stays reasonably healthy and the coaches and players are able to bring themselves up to the level of intensity they now know they can achieve.

I speak to supporters of other clubs who don't watch the Lions all that often. The feedback across the finals has been that they're a magnificent team to watch. Players whom they had no idea about who to a man get constant praise are Ah Chee who gives people Cyril vibes , Starcevich ( never realised how good he is ) , Lohman obviously because he's so flamboyant , Dunkley ,just does the hard stuff , Neale, Andrews , Ashcroft ( he's played what 30 games ? ) Morris (where has he come from ? ) , Lester ( ice in his veins), Berry (tough as nails) , McInerny ( oh but to have some team first spirit like this ) .. I could go on and on.

I was speaking to a guy from the St.Kilda inner circle and he said they could only dream of having 2 or 3 players like this.

We here all know that but for 2 minutes in the Geelong and GWS game the narrative would be totally different. This is what happens when you win a flag.

Burt my thinking is that with the confidence boost ,we now really know we're good enough , these guys have the potential to keep it going.

Sorry for the length of this diatribe but I'm not underselling any player who's done what these guys have.

The thing that I admire most about Lester is he has never been the most talented guy, but through sheer determination and hard work has become a generally reliable cog in our back 6.
One of my enduring memories of Froggy and granted it is one of the most recent and there are a few but that kick in the GF to McCluggage in the opening quarter was ridiculously good and not many players would have attempted it yet Frog nailed it.

FFS how on earth this thread has degenerated into what the issue is with a couple of players barely 2 weeks after all the players have been totally awesome and delivered the impossible is mind numbing.

Bigfooty always reverts to the mean, always.

And that when you defend them you're asked to delve into the past as to what their real selves is and have an inquisition about it.

I mean seriously. I can't live this way any longer.

All our players are fantastic.

There's no reason why we can't go back to back provided the list stays reasonably healthy and the coaches and players are able to bring themselves up to the level of intensity they now know they can achieve.

I speak to supporters of other clubs who don't watch the Lions all that often. The feedback across the finals has been that they're a magnificent team to watch. Players whom they had no idea about who to a man get constant praise are Ah Chee who gives people Cyril vibes , Starcevich ( never realised how good he is ) , Lohman obviously because he's so flamboyant , Dunkley ,just does the hard stuff , Neale, Andrews , Ashcroft ( he's played what 30 games ? ) Morris (where has he come from ? ) , Lester ( ice in his veins), Berry (tough as nails) , McInerny ( oh but to have some team first spirit like this ) .. I could go on and on.

I was speaking to a guy from the St.Kilda inner circle and he said they could only dream of having 2 or 3 players like this.

We here all know that but for 2 minutes in the Geelong and GWS game the narrative would be totally different. This is what happens when you win a flag.

Burt my thinking is that with the confidence boost ,we now really know we're good enough , these guys have the potential to keep it going.

Sorry for the length of this diatribe but I'm not underselling any player who's done what these guys have.

You realise you played a part in this because I posted Ah Chees finals form wouldn't continue forever?

From the Geelong Board just after their Prelim loss -
“They did but they will lose by 100 (and darcy fort will be a losing player in a GF i never thought Id say that) so theres not much consolation. We at least could have troubled sydney a bit whereas they have a walkover now.”
Some posts don’t age well.
“Walkover?”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While we are still basking in the glory, spoke to Logan McDonald today and saw the other side. Great kid and family and on crutches, couldn’t help his team win. He can’t wait for next season and if we don’t win, then I’m on the Swans. For all that, family re-viewing of the GF again tonight. Thai and a Grosset Polish Hill to celebrate (again).

Seems to me the first to go negative about Fagan, etc. Earlier in the year are now wanting to stay 100%, all out positive.

Need to listen to Lethal
Hmmm I seem to remember you and a few others who shall remain nameless sticking the boots into him all over it on board with the ABC , and oh yeah ,Zorko as well , as soon as any Fake news came out. You don't remember who wasn't buying any of it do you ?

I don't see you haven't said just as much stupid shit on a blog as anyone else.

That's not a criticism.

“They did but they will lose by 100 (and darcy fort will be a losing player in a GF i never thought Id say that) so theres not much consolation. We at least could have troubled sydney a bit whereas they have a walkover now.”
“Walkover?”

Some people got too much nerve and talk stupid shit that no one ever really likes. Would hate to be around a fan from any team who talks like that about a team that just beat them in a prelim.

Hmmm I seem to remember you and a few others who shall remain nameless sticking the boots into him all over it on board with the ABC , and oh yeah ,Zorko as well , as soon as any Fake news came out. You don't remember who wasn't buying any of it do you ?

I don't see you haven't said just as much stupid shit on a blog as anyone else.

That's not a criticism.

Dont be shy. Name the names and let the punishment of the heretics begin!

One of my enduring memories of Froggy and granted it is one of the most recent and there are a few but that kick in the GF to McCluggage in the opening quarter was ridiculously good and not many players would have attempted it yet Frog nailed it.
Frog was fantastic in the GF, but the kick you're referring to was by Hugh to Frog, not the other way round.

Some people got too much nerve and talk stupid shit that no one ever really likes. Would hate to be around a fan from any team who talks like that about a team that just beat them in a prelim.
Interesting facet that can be said now .Our guys were super confident in the GF. We didn't rate the Swans at all.

The team we most feared was Geelong. Once we won that game we were on. I think the Swans knew it as well.

Geelong supporters are generally pretty decent overall, I find. Even down at the Cattery. The night of the Zac Bailey incident enough of them admitted at the time we were the better team and deserved to win.

However every now and then you do have to put them in their place a bit. I have a Cats supporting mate who lives in Adelaide. On the Sunday after we beat the Giants I hit him up to see if he wanted to catch up in Melbourne and go to the prelim together.

His response? "Nah, saving my trip to Melbourne for the Grand Final".

Oh boy... Yes I did keep receipts 😁

Dont be shy. Name the names and let the punishment of the heretics begin!
Ha Ha.

Na. Too many skeletons in my own closet.

People say things on a blog off the top of their head ,in the heat of the moment ,just following the crowd that they might never say face to face or on reflection.

It's not to be taken too seriously. We're all on either side of the glass house and the stones from time to time.

Frog to Ah Chee ?
Yes. It was probably the turning point of the Grand Final. We'd started quite well but were still 11 points down, and up to that point we'd arguably lacked a bit of dare coming out of our back half. That kick changed everything and the floodgates opened not long after.

Geelong supporters are generally pretty decent overall, I find. Even down at the Cattery. The night of the Zac Bailey incident enough of them admitted at the time we were the better team and deserved to win.

However every now and then you do have to put them in their place a bit. I have a Cats supporting mate who lives in Adelaide. On the Sunday after we beat the Giants I hit him up to see if he wanted to catch up in Melbourne and go to the prelim together.

His response? "Nah, saving my trip to Melbourne for the Grand Final".

Oh boy... Yes I did keep receipts 😁
Got a couple of Geelong mates who get inside the cattery from time to time.

They genuinely thought they were a shoe in in the Prelim. From the Board down to the players.

It was a bit of a shock to them to get rolled because they knew the Swans were there for the taking.

“Walkover?”
that poster is generally ok but is a bit of a twit about brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back