Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

From the Geelong Board just after their Prelim loss -
“They did but they will lose by 100 (and darcy fort will be a losing player in a GF i never thought Id say that) so theres not much consolation. We at least could have troubled sydney a bit whereas they have a walkover now.”
Some posts don’t age well.
“Walkover?”

If you go back to the GDT on the main board for our round 6 loss v Geelong, there's some great calls in there.

One of my enduring memories of Froggy and granted it is one of the most recent and there are a few but that kick in the GF to McCluggage in the opening quarter was ridiculously good and not many players would have attempted it yet Frog nailed it.

Wasn't it McCluggage to Lester?

Edit: Seems like it was covered earlier. Carry on!

Yes. It was probably the turning point of the Grand Final. We'd started quite well but were still 11 points down, and up to that point we'd arguably lacked a bit of dare coming out of our back half. That kick changed everything and the floodgates opened not long after.
Feels weird to call a first quarter kick a turning point, but it represented our dare to win.

It felt to me from my birds eye view that the Swans didn’t take any aggressive kicks, simply chipping away with no dare. It only worked for that Rowbottom goal.

Maybe we need to post the speculation about next year in a best team 2025 thread rather than denigrate any of our 2024 premiership heroes who helped deliver a drought breaking premiership with a near perfect performance in the big dance.

Hoping we do have a 5 man bench next year, it will advantage us as we will bat so deep if all our acls come back well.

I think there’s other threads to discuss what you want. Your points may be all valid, but this isn’t the thread.

I have skipped a lot in the last couple of pages as it is the usual back and forth, just enjoy a premiership win for goodness sake.

But I am quoting this post because, I mean, are you going to change your name from 44 to 24.

giphy.gif

How goods offseason

Draft history of 2024 premiership team in draft order:

Ryan Lester
2010 pick 28 drafted by Brisbane

Dayne Zorko
2011 Qld Zone Selection drafted by Brisbane

Lachie Neale
2011 pick 58 drafted by Fremantle

Joe Daniher
2012 pick 10 drafted by Essendon

Charlie Cameron
2013 rookie draft pick 7 drafted by Adelaide

Harris Andrews
2014 pick 61 drafted by Brisbane

Conor McKenna
2014 rookie draft pick 62 drafted by Essendon

Callum Ah Chee
2015 pick 8 drafted by Gold Coast

Eric Hipwood
2015 pick 14 drafted by Brisbane

Josh Dunkley
2015 pick 25 drafted by Bulldogs

Hugh McCluggage
2016 pick 3 drafted by Brisbane

Jarrod Berry
2016 pick 17 drafted by Brisbane

Cameron Rayner
2017 pick 1 drafted by Brisbane

Zac Bailey
2017 pick 15 drafted by Brisbane

Brandon Starcevich
2017 pick 18 drafted by Brisbane

Jack Payne
2017 pick 54 drafted by Brisbane

Noah Answerth
2018 pick 55 drafted by Brisbane

Darcy Fort
2018 pick 65 drafted by Geelong

Darcy Wilmot
2021 pick 16 drafted by Brisbane

Kai Lohmann
2021 pick 20 drafted by Brisbane

Will Ashcroft
2022 pick 2 drafted by Brisbane

Jaspa Fletcher
2022 pick 12 drafted by Brisbane

Logan Morris
2023 pick 31 drafted by Brisbane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know about anyone else but I am still on a bit of a high following our flag.

A day hasn't gone by since that I haven't watched/listened to all or a part of the GF, stories and ensuing celebrations, still get goosebumps listening and watching it.

For me it feels like 2025 is a free hit, this Premiership could sustain me through all of next season.

That mindset may change when games start in 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back