Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We did not deserve to have someone like Joey at our club for the 4 years he was here and I'm so grateful for what he brought to the table throughout that time.

If he is reading this online somewhere, just wanted to say a massive thank-you :heart:

Proud Emma Stone GIF

I love you Joe

I love you Joe
Hopefully he decides to join BF on that little iPad someday now that he has all this free time on his hands ;)

Four weeks on an still smh over this we're the premiers bizzo
Me too , just enjoying every bit of the afterglow and still wondering how on earth they managed to do what they did .
Just incredible and hope they make a documentary about the year .

It’s my favourite premiership and I never thought anything would top our 3peat .
Just so very special .

Me too , just enjoying every bit of the afterglow and still wondering how on earth they managed to do what they did .

It’s my favourite premiership and I never thought anything would top our 3peat .
Just so very special .
With our last premiership being over 20 years ago it feels like the best, but that 3 peat was special.

However, there would be a large number of Lions members that the 2024 win was in fact their first/greatest/favourite premiership.

Just so very special .
I started following the Lions back when the merger happened so was a fan back when the three peat happened, but was no where near the nuffie that I am now.
So this years Premiership after all of those down years as a long term Member was just something else for me. And something that will have a place in my Heart for the rest of my days.

I know the team will go down the ladder again at some point and membership will dwindle.

I wonder if it will ever reach the 2010s low or if afl has grown so much in qld, and the women's contributes a lot to this, that there will always be more than 10k at games.

Did it feel like that after the 3peat?

I know the team will go down the ladder again at some point and membership will dwindle.

I wonder if it will ever reach the 2010s low or if afl has grown so much in qld, and the women's contributes a lot to this, that there will always be more than 10k at games.

What is the Bronco’s lowest attendance and when?

We played with a minimal group through that era and a lot of our players were a pretty battered by the end of their career . Leigh didn’t bring many younger players in . When the premiership boys started to retire there were big gaps to fill .
A lot of players brought in just didn’t quite cut it and then everything went to crap for a while with Leppa.
I was actually gutted when Vossy was sacked , but some of his recruiting was a bit dodgy .Fev being one of them .

Somehow Fages turned that around and with making finals , slowly things improved .Fixed the culture , recruiting well .
The rest is history .
Some will probably disagree , but that’s just how I saw it unfold .

Four weeks on and still smh over this we're the premiers bizzo
You picked it very early to be fair Rip...

Reckon we may have learnt what it takes to win a premiership tonight.

By all means play an attacking game that may result in you getting burned on turnover, but when it is your turn to defend you do it like your life depends on it. Think we saw that on numerous occasions in the last quarter.

I didn't think we did a heck of a lot wrong with our recruiting etc after 2004. Obviously a lot of players retired within a couple of years, and our list went from being one of the oldest to one of the youngest pretty quickly. This was justifiable and understandable given we'd tried to make the most of the window we had, which had arguably been open since 1995/6 across a couple of iterations.

To that end I seem to recall our crowd numbers remaining pretty healthy really right throughout the 2000s, even tho we didn't win as much from 2005 onwards.

The mistakes started when we got a bit ahead of ourselves at the end of 2009. Winning a home elimination final against an ok-to-middling 7th placed team should never have been a catalyst for pinning the ears back and going all guns blazing for another flag.

That's how recruiting decisions had a direct impact on our on-field performances, and ultimately our off-field performance (crowd numbers, bottom line, board/management chaos etc).

I just realised that mightn't directly answer your question, but I wasn't living in Queensland then so hard for me to comment on the overall "vibes" around town regarding the Lions and Aussie rules generally etc.

What is the Bronco’s lowest attendance and when?
Outside COVID, there's a couple of sub-10000 crowds at QEII in May/June 1999. That was that remarkable season where we won just 1 of our first 10 matches, before winning 12 of our last 14 to squeak into the top 8.

Both those sub-10000 crowds came at the start of the resurgence, and in both games the Broncos held their opposition scoreless 🤯

I didn't think we did a heck of a lot wrong with our recruiting etc after 2004. Obviously a lot of players retired within a couple of years, and our list went from being one of the oldest to one of the youngest pretty quickly. This was justifiable and understandable given we'd tried to make the most of the window we had, which had arguably been open since 1995/6 across a couple of iterations.

To that end I seem to recall our crowd numbers remaining pretty healthy really right throughout the 2000s, even tho we didn't win as much from 2005 onwards.

The mistakes started when we got a bit ahead of ourselves at the end of 2009. Winning a home elimination final against an ok-to-middling 7th placed team should never have been a catalyst for pinning the ears back and going all guns blazing for another flag.

That's how recruiting decisions had a direct impact on our on-field performances, and ultimately our off-field performance (crowd numbers, bottom line, board/management chaos etc).

I just realised that mightn't directly answer your question, but I wasn't living in Queensland then so hard for me to comment on the overall "vibes" around town regarding the Lions and Aussie rules generally etc.
You explained it better than me ,thank you ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our downfall began when Voss tried to offload Bradshaw and Rischatelli to Carlton. It basically destroyed our culture right then. The vision of the two of them being sent to Melbourne and having to do a tour of Carlton’s facility against their will was disgraceful. And then to turn around and recruit Fevola and a couple of broken down guys who barely played a game was the final nail in the coffin. How Fagan has managed to get this club and team back to the top is incredible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Grand Final, 2024 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back