Grand Final Day Weddings

Remove this Banner Ad

It is rude and ignorant. You can pretend that it is not important and try to apply your opinion to other people but out of 100 people at least 30 or 40 are going to want to watch the GF.

You are not going to ignore major cultural observances from other cultures are you? So why ignore an Australian one? And if you don't think it is a major cultural event... you are an idiot. What is more commonly observed than xmas, NYE and GFs?

I was a bridesmaid and was beyond distracted, ran to TV every chance I got while getting ready and felt stressed out during the service. Totally ignored hot groomsmen LOL. my team wasn't even playing but I was still fuming.

I know it's a Tuesday but no one would dream of getting married on Melbourne Cup...this is the same. these bad planners bring it on themselves.

Speaking of, about 10 years ago my mum's idiot friend had her wedding on Melbourne Cup Day... in inner city Melbourne. Mum and Dad found it almost impossible to get accommodation, and to this day still cannot fathom the levels of idiocy in that scheduling decision.

How is he the dick when she was the one who booked her wedding for the one Saturday of the year you shouldn't do it.
gta-the-joke.gif

had to work at a grand final wedding a few years ago, doing the music for it. Well i didnt 'have to' work it, but it was extra cash!

getting people up to dance can be tricky at the best of times, and as soon as the game started (during the reception) a small TV magically appeared and everyone was watching the game.

so i got paid to watch the grand final that year!:p

we had our wedding on a thursday this year in February. Nice and safe, plus it gave people the chance to get a extra long weekend.

It'd be a terrible wedding anyway.

The bride would insist on not wearing white, and most likely would wear a tuxedo.
She would not be "given away" by anyone, as a women can in no way be possessed by a man.
They'd insist the Celebrant says "This person has chosen to marry this person and vice versa" as opposed to "this man has chosen to marry this woman and vice versa"
The meals would be vegan
Alcohol would not be provided, but kale and quinoa mocktails would be readily available.
Suggesting checking a GF score would be met with "feel free to join the bogans and their celebration of misogynistic white supremacy"
Political debate between guests would be freely encouraged, provided all your opinions are slight variations on progressive ideology.

Better to skip a GF day wedding for mine.

You know what would be cool though.....

If you were rich enough, you could have the church stuff early in the morning, then buy all of the guests those $1500 corporate tickets with booze included and seat on level 2, then push on with the reception.

Rich enough? You don't need that. Just get a better job!

/JoeHockey

My cousin has booked his for 2pm this Grand Final Day.
I am not going and didn't bother to make up an excuse.

I'm in my 40's and like to think that I am a measured, mature, clear thinking type of bloke.

I'm the bloke who defended Goodes's actions when he called out the teenager for his racist remarks.

I'm also the bloke who has a high level of social conscience and am usually defending those who are less fortunate etc...

I very rarely criticise blokes on BF...or elsewhere. I'm the bloke who pulls people up in those kinds of situations.

Having said all that, what the heck is wrong with your cousin for pulling that stunt? I don't blame you for not going and I wouldn't either. You can catch up with them at the reception that evening.

I raised this topic at a work lunch (all part of my cunning plan to steer the conversation away from the Bachelorette). My Director said she went to a GF wedding where the ceremony was interrupted by the entire church cheering at a goal as they watched on phones. In a perfect world that cheer would have happened right as the priest asked if anyone had any objections, but then we don't live in a perfect world :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We booked our March wedding before the fixture came out and it clashed with a Hawthorn game. My wife's brother was MC and we (cough, perhaps the Royal we) actually instructed him to provide score updates. We won comfortably which was good.

You don't wanna piss off your guests. Not to mention they won't be paying attention when it's on...

Never been to a Grand Final day wedding, never will. I don't think I've ever been invited to one.

Several years ago (before the Giants came into being and I was supporting Essendon), I got an invite to a wedding; but on cross-referencing the dates realised it clashed with Essendon v Swans at the SCG. Essendon only came to Sydney once a year, and I wasn't going to miss it; so I declined the invite.
The bride had a bridezilla tantrum in front of me about how wrong it was that I should choose football over a wedding. But I stood my ground.

The day came, and the rain tumbled down. I went to the footy and the Bombers had a cracking win. The marriage lasted less than a year. I felt vindicated.

Last edited:
Anyone stupid enough to have their wedding on Grand Final day deserves to have no one turn up.

I've declined wedding invites that clashed with Crows home games. One gave me a 'ceremony only' invite the same day as a Crows match once. I declined the invite and their noses were out of joint for a good 2-3 years afterwards!

My aunt was stupid enough to have a wedding the same time as a Crows game (away game thankfully). It was such a pointless wedding (they were together for 15 years and already had 2 kids before they decided to get married). I have no clue what happened during the ceremony as Dad, my uncle and I were hovered around my phone following the football scores. It was a Sunday wedding too which just made it doubly annoying.

My sister had hers in 2012, made me wear a suit and everything. Happy for her, was a pretty good day (meal at the reception was a little so-so), but could only watch the first quarter and the last few minutes of the game because of it. That's the problem with being part of a family where members don't give a stuff about football, at least the proper code anyway. I tried to convince her to do a morning wedding and an evening reception without success.

That said, I'm missing my old man's THIRD wedding because I was committed to running in the Melbourne Marathon (for the THIRD time, only 7 more after that before I get the Spartan Singlet) well before I was told the date.

So the girl and I are eloping at end of October.
Two friends and their kids are our only guests.
We weren't stupid enough to do it GF week....but,
Our run thru with the celebrant is.....11am this sat.
No other time is do-able

I think I'll be recording the game from the moment i step out the door...just in case I don't get home for the first bounce and can then watch it on a delay.

If the wedding is in Perth, the GF starts at say Noon or 12:30ish. Many weddings start later in the day like 4:00PM so people could watch the footy then continue on with a wedding party after. That sounds pretty good actually.

I don't understand this

Brides want a wedding to be perfect... why organise a date when you'll annoy a huge number of people

Why on earth would you book the week after Grand Final Day. Historically there's a 3% chance of a draw and replay

If a bride booked a florist and said there was a 3% chance they'd provide crappy flowers you'd ring another florist surely

Why do people have weddings on the weekend anyway... Because it's actually convenient for most people who work during the week

I had this conversation with a couple of nuffer friends once who were thinking about organising a grand final wedding thinking it's only one year that people will miss out on the Grand Final - I suggested they'd get a bigger turn out at 2am on a Tuesday as that would be more convenient for people than Grand Final Day!

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final Day Weddings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back