Discussion Grand Final Matchups 2024 - What will your team wear?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if the Giants would consider wearing the Never Surrender jumper in a Grand Final against a team other than Sydney. Obviously it would be conditional on finishing higher than their opponent, and 4th being the highest seed in a Grand Final is incredibly unlikely, but it wouldn’t shock me if they had an openness to wearing it in a situation that makes it less clashy (mainly vs Hawthorn).

I wonder if the Giants would consider wearing the Never Surrender jumper in a Grand Final against a team other than Sydney. Obviously it would be conditional on finishing higher than their opponent, and 4th being the highest seed in a Grand Final is incredibly unlikely, but it wouldn’t shock me if they had an openness to wearing it in a situation that makes it less clashy (mainly vs Hawthorn).
GWS v Hawks GF as it stands would be terrible matchup

Either needs GWS in full charcoal, or Hawks in their white jumper

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't stress, they won't make it - but if they were against Port, surely they'd have no choice.
Pretty sure one of their board members is on record saying if they were ever directed to wear their clash strip in a GF they'd ignore it and just pay the fine.

I definitely read it somewhere not that long ago, trying to find it now. Can't remember if it was on this board or elsewhere.

Last edited:
Pretty sure one of their board members is on record saying if they were ever directed to wear their clash strip in a GF they'd ignore it and just pay the fine.

I definitely read it somewhere not that long ago, trying to find it now. Can't remember if it was on this board or elsewhere.
A Carlton v Adelaide, Freo, Melbourne, Port, or any other of the melbourne teams they 'don't' clash with would look so great with Carlton in white shorts... I kinda wanna see it happen now

It probably won’t happen, but in the event of a Swans-Lions GF, I’d like to see Sydney wear the South jumper with red shorts, and Brisbane wear their away (the Fitzroy one) with white shorts, for three reasons:
1. They’re the uniforms both teams have usually worn when playing in Melbourne this season
2. It would give off old-school vibes for the traditionalists and retro enthusiasts (imagine a photo of Bob Skilton and Kevin Murray holding up the cup while wearing said jumpers)
3. It’d be more practical than having both teams wear their home (might be too much of a clash) or having Brisbane wear their third guernsey (the Bears one) which I think they’ve only worn once all year, in a Grand Final

Regarding Swans vs Lions, which I think has gotta be one of the most likely matchups, and one of the less obvious ones from a jumper pov:

Perhaps the obvious option is Swans full home vs Brisbane home jumper/white shorts. Although this has not actually occurred in recent years (not since 2012 as pictured).

IMG_3121.jpeg

The most recent regular season match (Syd home game, 2022) saw both teams in full home kits. This would be my preference - Lions wearing white causes more of a clash with Sydney’s white block, and the shade of maroon is completely distinguishable from Syd’s red.

IMG_3122.jpeg

The most recent match w/ Syd in full home kit (pre-season, 2023) saw the Lions in the more ‘Bears-inspired’ clash jumper. I like this matchup visually, but I wonder if the Fitzroy diehards would complain? I do think this is less likely than Home + White. (This was also seen in the second-most-recent Swans vs Bris game at the SCG in 2017).

IMG_3119.jpeg

The Swans theoretically could opt to wear the South jumper. Love this matchup visually, but there’s no need for the home team to wear an alternate strip, and on the biggest day of the year I think the club would prefer to show off the proper Sydney Opera House design. This has only been seen in Lions’ home games, but at least shows a willingness to have Red vs Maroon as a shorts matchup.

IMG_3120.jpeg

The Lions certainly should not be wearing the red ‘Fitzroy’ jumper. Bringing more red into the equation would be messy.

Last edited:

I'd love to see the AFL turn around and disqualify them

Regarding Swans vs Lions, which I think has gotta be one of the most likely matchups, and one of the less obvious ones from a jumper pov:

Perhaps the obvious option is Swans full home vs Brisbane home jumper/white shorts. Although this has not actually occurred in recent years (not since 2012 as pictured).

View attachment 2093573

The most recent regular season match (Syd home game, 2022) saw both teams in full home kits. This would be my preference - Lions wearing white causes more of a clash with Sydney’s white block, and the shade of maroon is completely distinguishable from Syd’s red.

View attachment 2093574

I know this would aggrieve Sydney, but Sydney in white shorts is the real answer.

Swans Lions both in all home is so fine, theres never been a need to throw around clash jumpers.
Sth jumper away looks great but only for away games

The most pleasing to the eye is Carlton vs GWS (if the Giants wear their orange jumper and Carlton wear their navy blue).
GWS would be the higher side.

Carlton in full white is what it should be - and would be just as good.

The idea of forcing the non-vic team into clash doesn't sit well.

Edit: most likely would be GWS in home + white shorts, Carlton full navy. Which is OKish. Both teams get their home jumper.

Edit: most likely would be GWS in home + white shorts, Carlton full navy. Which is OKish. Both teams get their home jumper.
I know

I just meant the best combo is Blues vs Giants. Dark blue vs orange

it seems gws don't like wearing their current home jumper w/white shorts. they've only ever done it twice (both in 2021), so i doubt they'd want to wear that combo especially being the higher ranked team

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Grand Final Matchups 2024 - What will your team wear?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back