Grand Final: More Standing Room - Less Seats

Remove this Banner Ad

TitanicRider

Debutant
Jun 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How would you all feel about the MCG Installing 4 bays at either end with seating that can be taken out for the Grand Final to let more members in??

So the 4 Bays behind each goals become standing room for members only. How many extra people would you fit ?? Is it feasible ??

The AFL Could still charge $160 per ticket and make heaps more money!

How would you all feel about the MCG Installing 4 bays at either end with seating that can be taken out for the Grand Final to let more members in??

So the 4 Bays behind each goals become standing room for members only. How many extra people would you fit ?? Is it feasible ??

The AFL Could still charge $160 per ticket and make heaps more money!

Safety would be the worry. Hillsborough and all that.

They could still cordon them off like bays. And only allocate a certain amount of tickets to each sub section ( like the current standing areas behind the bays )..

this would eliminate the mad crush forward.

ive been thinking about this all week, and you've stolen my idea :p
there wouldnt be too many saftey issues you would think? it wouldnt be much bigger then skilled stadiums standing room? Teh only difference i reakon it would make is that it would make the ques to the toilets n food places longer.

I guess its about trying to get more then 11,000 members per side in.

11,000 seats = how many standing room places. I would have thought an extra 10,000 per side.

There are about 5000 standing room places that the slimey Steven Gough/MCC wont let the AFL sell.The MCG is allowed to have over a 100,000 crowd so why not sell those tickets?.FFS it has had a crowd of 121,000 + in 1970 when it was a lot smaller.

I said this in a post a couple of Grand Finals ago.
Pull out all the seats in the Ponsford (maybe leave 2 or 3 rows in front of the fence) and have that as standing like it used to be.
Charge 75% of cheapest seat.
Tickets for competing club members only, unless some left sell them on match day.
Saftey issues? Pfffffft. I've stood in standing in Grand Finals in the 70's/80's when they got 115,000+ crowds. Health & saftey regulations are too over the top. The human race survived for over 50,000 years before these boffins took control.

<EDIT> I mean bottom deck of the Ponsford.

There are about 5000 standing room places that the slimey Steven Gough/MCC wont let the AFL sell.The MCG is allowed to have over a 100,000 crowd so why not sell those tickets?.FFS it has had a crowd of 121,000 + in 1970 when it was a lot smaller.

It wasn't really 'smaller' - In the southern stand, for example, where the are now 35 rows of seats there only used to be about 20 and so lots more standing room at the back.
Also, the old Northern stand where the Corporate boxes were built used to be standing room areas as well.

This is the problem with todays society.

"safety Issues"

What a load of nonsense. Never an issue 20 years ago, why an issue now?

Issues Could be :

1) Someone could stand on your foot
2) You could possibly have some chardoney spilt on you.
3) Someone in front of you may be taller than you.
4) If the stand collapes you could be in danger.
5) You may make to much noise for the people sitting close by. They have paid good money for a seat those people.
6) You may drop the record on the ground and someone could slip over.

blah blah blah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would prefer to stand anyway for a big game. Generally I'm too excited to sit.

Could you imagine if the entire bottom tier of the MCG was standing room only on grand final day??

The noise of the crowd would be amazing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final: More Standing Room - Less Seats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back