Grand Final Seating WRONG WRONG WRONG !!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Re: Re: Grand Final Seating WRONG WRONG WRONG !!!!!!!

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
Yes, but does a person have to be a club support member of 1 of the competing clubs to get a GF ticket?

In the first instance YES.
Whats left over goes to the remaining AFL members who are not a club support member of the competing teams

I think a few are missing the point re AFL members. There shouldn't be any. It's just another area where the AFL competes with its clubs for money and then makes them subservaint in order to give it back to them. Meanwhile at big game after big game AFL member's seats remain empty while people are turned off attending because of the difficulty in getting a seat and the need to pre book when in fact there isn't really a need. When the G is finished it will hold 100k. Finals aside there will be no need to pre book except that gams will be made pre booking games. Remove AFL memberships and the need to provide seats and make the AFL members join clubs or turn up on the day.

Why get rid of afl members, i know plenty of people who prefer their afl membership to a club membership so they can attend a footy game while their team is interstate, or are just huge fans of the game without supporting a particular club. In terms of the club allocations of tickets to the game, these are absolutely vital to the clubs in terms of bringing sponsors on board to support the clubs. Would you rather your team suffer financially and threaten their long term viability? And guess what ,there are a lot of corporate supporters who tip millions of dollars into clubs ,because they love their club too. I agree, tickets should be more accessable to the average supporter but the answers ain't that simple

Originally posted by MarkT
I think a few are missing the point re AFL members. There shouldn't be any.

Its a hangover from the "old days" when Waverley was first built. Because no club had a home ground at Waverley, the VFL needed to set up its own Membership to fund the ground's construction. They were called "VFL Park" Members.

When the VFL was blueing with the MCC in the early-mid 80's (and considered increasing Waverley's capacity to 120,000 and holding GF's there) part of the compromise was to allow AFL Members access to the Grand Final.

Now the AFL is stuck with the deal. Like the MCC Members they have three times as many Members as seats. So even when a seat is empty, its already been paid for three times over.

Ideally the AFL Members should be redirected back to their clubs of choice. But the AFL cant afford the lost income. Maybe they should take no future Members and gradually cut back the size of the AFL Members by attrition.

Re: Re: Grand Final Seating WRONG WRONG WRONG !!!!!!!

Number 4 should only be allowed to attend if their AFL membership is tied to a club support package of one of the competing clubs.

I pay inflated prices to start with so i have the right to attend ALL finals, regardless of who's playing.

who cares what you pay, i bet its less than what i pay,

The point being, put down which club you support, they get in you should get a chance of getting a ticket, they dont get in then bad luck.

Originally posted by droche 2004
who cares what you pay, i bet its less than what i pay,

The point being, put down which club you support, they get in you should get a chance of getting a ticket, they dont get in then bad luck.

You say "who cares what you pay" but feel the need to add that you bet it's more than me. :rolleyes:

The point being is, i follow my club, and i follow football. So why can't i have my cake and eat it to?

I go to my teams games, and i go to a lot of games that my team's not involved in, so why don't i have the right to go to a higher profile game, regardless if my team's in it or not?

If you want it to be club members only, and the MCG holds, say 100,000 (when complete) and the largest two sides are playing (say Collingwood and Adelaide) that's close to 80,000 people. Where do the other 20,000 come from?

The issue shouldn't be with AFL Members, it should be with the amount of corporates that get tickets.

The arguement is moot in any case. The AFL aren't going to drop their AFL Membership packages, and nor should they.

I think a few are missing the point re AFL members. There shouldn't be any. It's just another area where the AFL competes with its clubs for money and then makes them subservaint in order to give it back to them. Meanwhile at big game after big game AFL member's seats remain empty while people are turned off attending because of the difficulty in getting a seat and the need to pre book when in fact there isn't really a need. When the G is finished it will hold 100k. Finals aside there will be no need to pre book except that gams will be made pre booking games. Remove AFL memberships and the need to provide seats and make the AFL members join clubs or turn up on the day.

As an Adelaide Club Support AFL Member I only get to see Adelaide for around 5 to 7 games per year in Melbourne. AFL Membership gives me the luxury of going to other games as I enjoy the footy so much. I have been an AFL Member since 1995. I go to 45 games or so a year. I think i deserve the right to go to the Grand Final. As I have done for the last 6 years. No matter who plays in it. The more games you go to the better chance you should have of going to the Grand Final.

Originally posted by hotpie
Ideally the AFL Members should be redirected back to their clubs of choice. But the AFL cant afford the lost income.
This is the whole issue – money which equates to control.

I would contend that they can afford to eliminate memberships today. If most of the members filtered through to clubs and the rest just paid at the gate when they attended would there actually be much money lost overall? I think none of us can answer without the figures in front of us but a whole lot more seats would be available every week. The GF would get more of the right supporters in as well.

In terms of eliminating the AFL membership it's dead easy. Once current memberships expire they can't be renewed. It's that simple. Instead of renewal forms the AFL just sends out club membership forms or for unaligned members they ring them up and ask who they support. If they don't support anyone then those few can be left to pay at the gate. If you really want you can give a bulk ticket multiple team discount. I think the TV rights can handle that small cost as the full price is paid to the competing clubs.

If you ask me a club member has far more right to see their team play in a Grand Final than someone who just happens to attend a lot of football during the year.

I agree
point 2 where will the 100,000 come from? MCC members and yes some ticket will go to other clubs, but I repeat,(1000) to each club?

I am not saying that AFL members shouldnt get in,
What I am saying is, the supporter who pays there money to follow that club, if that club makes it then he/she should get first choice over a AFL member who follows Adelaide when Adelaide isn't in.
That is wrong, we would all like to go to the GF but don’t take it away from the people who bleed for there clubs over someone who just wants to see the game for games sake.

I used to go to the Footy with my wife to watch her team play every week, had they made the GF would I expect a ticket? No because I wasn’t a member and I would rather someone that really follows that team to get there chance. It might only happen once in 50 years. Don’t deny there right because you just want to see the game!!!!! That greed. No matter how many games you go to.

I watch nearly every game on TV repays etc, should I get a ticket because I watch more games? No of course I shouldn’t.

All I am trying to say is the allocation is wrong, no matter which way you look at it.

Look after the people and supporters that follow the club week in week out.

Originally posted by MRobbo
The more games you go to the better chance you should have of going to the Grand Final.
I wouldn't have much objection to some sort of loyalty scheme being used to allocate some tickets to real footy supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't have much objection to some sort of loyalty scheme being used to allocate some tickets to real footy supporters.

you can use my ticket i will use yours and just keep repeating the process, wouldn't work.

What about county people who follow there club, interstate supporters, there is only one game on in there state.

I dont think you can take all the tickets away from the clubs that make the competition what it is, but i would agree that they should probably only get around 500 each, and less now that the capacity is smaller.

Sponsers n competition winners and others like that are always going to get a spot but the ammount of tickets for this group should be very small. They should be limited ONLY to the corporate boxes / areas of the ground - nothing else.

MCC members can get lost. Elitest bunch of tossers have had it too good for too long. Grand final crowd numbers always rely on how many of these idiots turn up. They will always get a spot tho coz the AFL doesnt have any balls - but they should get severly limited on how many can get in. Every MCC member should have to state the team they follow and are only allowed to PURCHASE a ticket to the game if there team is playing.

AFL members the same as MCC members.

The way i see it too many people are getting in just because they live in Melbourne. Its A now not V.

Tickets set aside for only Victorian people =

10,000 AFL Club tickets - 10 Melbourne teams
20,000 MCC Members - 99% of MCC Members would live in Vic
15,000 AFL Members - AFL membership gets u into 3 grounds afaik - MCG, Dome, Optus - therefor only Vics would have this type of membership

That gives around 45,000 Vics a free ride into the grand final each and every year, and undoubtably will rise once the ground is finished. That is total and utter crap. At least half these tickets should be offered to the 2 competing clubs members. If they dont all get sold (highly unlikely) then these groups can take whatever is left over.

Im a firm believer that the GF should always be at the MCG, but because it is shouldnt give these groups exclusive entry rights to the GF.

Re: Re: Re: Grand Final Seating WRONG WRONG WRONG !!!!!!!

Originally posted by Sporty Spice
I pay inflated prices to start with so i have the right to attend ALL finals, regardless of who's playing.

How much exactly do you pay for this so called right to attend every final plus most regular season games?

Originally posted by droche 2004
you can use my ticket i will use yours and just keep repeating the process, wouldn't work.

What about county people who follow there club, interstate supporters, there is only one game on in there state.
I didn't say only allow in frequent fliers. Competing club members should all get in if they want to go as a first priority and anyone who attends a truck load of games should have more chance than someone who doesn't. The fact is country and 1 team town people don't attend enough to get in via a frequent flier program. It doesn't make them worse people but so what! Fact is they don’t contribute as much week in week out as someone who attends 40 games. They can always buy a club membership and get in if their club makes it. It’s all marginal though in terms of the real issues.

Originally posted by W.C. Fry
Every MCC member should have to state the team they follow and are only allowed to PURCHASE a ticket to the game if there team is playing.
As an MCC Member I know they are now collecting this data. Maybe the allocation system should include this criteria one day?

Having said that, simplistic solutions like tossing out all the MCC and AFL Member entitlements are not going to work. Essentially the reason the great majority of MCC Members shell out their $300-400 each year is for the luxury of having a guaranteed GF ticket. People will desrt in hoardes if they tool this selling point away. In any case I don't think the AFL can dictate in this way to the MCC if they want to continue to use the ground.

The two things they can begin to change immediately are the allocation to 16 clubs and the AFL Member allocation. They are both about $$. Ie the AFL will have to subsidise clubs for the lost sponsorship revenue (potentially a significant sum) for the first group and the second will mean less $$ direct to the AFL (although many of these people will arguably become club members anyway).

How do the FA Cup and Superbowl tickets get allocated? Seems to always be majority fans at the FA Cup and the atmosphere is beginning to show signs of majority theatre goers at the GF.

I guess the difference with the Superbowl is that they rotate it around the country so they don't have half the crowd there thinking that it's their god given right to be there. Having said that, I'm sure that not too many "grassroots" supporters would make it either, probably have an even bigger problem with trying to fit the A to Z-List celebs and corporates.

Originally posted by ThePope
I guess the difference with the Superbowl is that they rotate it around the country so they don't have half the crowd there thinking that it's their god given right to be there. Having said that, I'm sure that not too many "grassroots" supporters would make it either, probably have an even bigger problem with trying to fit the A to Z-List celebs and corporates.

It is a fact that no "grass roots" NFL fan ever goes to a Superbowl. Only a limited number of season ticket holders of the 2 competing teams even have access.

As for AFL Membership you have 2 choices...

1. Have a whinge every year about not getting a GF ticket

or

2. Become an AFL member.

And here I thought the MCC etc were all just lovers of football who turn up to anything regardless of cost.

Nothing more than a old boys club with people who can most afford it paying as little as possible, similar to AFL members.

It is always about how much the game should give you for your pittance a year, and how much you all deserve.

Everyone wants a good deal, but you don't have a right to attend things over a 50 year club supporter because your old man signed you up to an elitist club.

And with the tickets being barcoded and scanned at the turnstyles, it shouldn't be too hard to work it out.
So of the categories of membership, with each one being allocated a number of seats according to the AFL's formula, priority for each would go to the number of games attended. For example, of the MCC members allocation, the MCC members who attended the most games during the home & away season would get first priority to get grand final tickets; similarly, a member of a competing club who attended all 11 home games would get priority over a member who attended 7 home games.

I would contend that they can afford to eliminate memberships today. If most of the members filtered through to clubs and the rest just paid at the gate when they attended would there actually be much money lost overall?

Not much to the game as a whole, but a shyteload to the AFL corporate body itself. 18 million give or take. They want control over that money as they use it as general revenue. If it went to the clubs they'd have no control. The smaller clubs would also lose out as AFL membership ratios tend to reflect the current size of the victorian clubs.

I think none of us can answer without the figures in front of us but a whole lot more seats would be available every week.

Are these needed? How often is the 'G FULL week to week?

The GF would get more of the right supporters in as well.

That could be done now in a number of ways.

In terms of eliminating the AFL membership it's dead easy. Once current memberships expire they can't be renewed. It's that simple. Instead of renewal forms the AFL just sends out club membership forms or for unaligned members they ring them up and ask who they support. If they don't support anyone then those few can be left to pay at the gate. If you really want you can give a bulk ticket multiple team discount. I think the TV rights can handle that small cost as the full price is paid to the competing clubs.

What do the clubs who's membership categories guaranteeing a GF ticket are full do? Do you think people who are essentially in one of these now via an AFL club support package would be happy missing out on that?

Originally posted by Pres
In any case I don't think the AFL can dictate in this way to the MCC if they want to continue to use the ground.

They could if they wanted to. The MCC then has a choice, do we let our biggest customer walk away or not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final Seating WRONG WRONG WRONG !!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back