Ollie Wines - Where Has It All Gone Wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

The pile on is unfair. He’s a good player. His numbers have been down this year but he’s still a quality player. Next year though will be telling as to whether a change of scenery is needed.

So no, we haven’t ever brought in any who would be similar to recruiting an over the hill Ollie Wines like he was Jaegar Omera on a 4 year deal?

Do go on though about the All-Australian/Premiership players we signed to long term deals in their prime + a couple of veterans we extended.
No but just like wines their falling off a cliff playing ability wise is a near identical situation … which I thought was the whole basis of this thread ?

No but just like wines their falling off a cliff playing ability wise is a near identical situation … which I thought was the whole basis of this thread ?

You were the one responding to my suggestion that Port should trade Wines now to a silly team, and didn’t like that I consider your mob a possibility to recruit someone like that (I was basing that on the iffy 4 year deal you gave to JOM, ya know, last season)..

You said the Eagles would be the prime candidate to do so….but we’ve never really done that kind of recruitment, ever.

So your suggestion didn’t really make sense did it? 😉

He is a midfield bull Brownlow medalist and Hinkley is playing him on a wing, he is not a wingman. Either play him in the middle or trade him. Simple as that

Ken is a funny one. What is the general opinion of Kenny by port supporters?
I’d imagine he’s very well liked and just needs to tweak a few things like swap some positions around and other tactics and surely a premiership is bound to happen sooner or later.

Ken is a funny one. What is the general opinion of Kenny by port supporters?
I’d imagine he’s very well liked and just needs to tweak a few things like swap some positions around and other tactics and surely a premiership is bound to happen sooner or later.
Hahahah oh boy. Don’t head over to the port board or you may see the 10th version of the Sack Hinkley thread. I’d say 95% of our supporters want him gone, 5% are just happy clappers “just supporter your team don’t be negative” want him to stay

Hahahah oh boy. Don’t head over to the port board or you may see the 10th version of the Sack Hinkley thread. I’d say 95% of our supporters want him gone, 5% are just happy clappers “just supporter your team don’t be negative” want him to stay
Happy clappers are the worst.

It’s surprising how so many hate Ken.

I mean, he just got you within 4 kicks of a preliminary final.

Happy clappers are the worst.

It’s surprising how so many hate Ken.

I mean, he just got you within 4 kicks of a preliminary final.
Don’t know if you’re trolling or not with the last comment but

He has won 2 finals in 9 years, he has been in the job for 11 years for 0 premierships, 0 GF appearances, and 7 finals loses. And we just re-signed for another 2 years to make it 13 years

The game plan doesn’t hold up in finals, doesn’t change every year, it’s forward pressure keep it in our half.

I think it’s understandable why port fans hate him. I find it hard to find a reason why media and the general footy public love him so much. Done absolutely nothing and is now a known loser

Don’t know if you’re trolling or not with the last comment but

He has won 2 finals in 9 years, he has been in the job for 11 years for 0 premierships, 0 GF appearances, and 7 finals loses. And we just re-signed for another 2 years to make it 13 years

The game plan doesn’t hold up in finals, doesn’t change every year, it’s forward pressure keep it in our half.

I think it’s understandable why port fans hate him. I find it hard to find a reason why media and the general footy public love him so much. Done absolutely nothing and is now a known loser
Yes ..I can feel your pain.

Very unfortunate.

You were the one responding to my suggestion that Port should trade Wines now to a silly team, and didn’t like that I consider your mob a possibility to recruit someone like that (I was basing that on the iffy 4 year deal you gave to JOM, ya know, last season)..

You said the Eagles would be the prime candidate to do so….but we’ve never really done that kind of recruitment, ever.

So your suggestion didn’t really make sense did it? 😉
Yes and the decision to ignore the draft for a few years to bring in Tim Kelly while backing in your veterans has really paid off. Literally the worst list of players under 22 in the league.
O’Meara cost next to nothing draft wise.
Our last significant use of draft capital was to bring in Jackson who would be close to the top of a list of exceptional talent under 22. We had 4 in that list this year.
So yeah not really our mob making stupid decisions lately.
Until your lot can unseat Nisbett & his cronies there ain’t much to look forward to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesnt help when a footballer with one key attribute gets moved from the middle and thrown into a pseudo forward role. Needs to increase his centre bounce attendance but unlikely given the current midfield line up

Tis the brilliance of Ken. Take a Brownlow mid and put him on the wing where he’s useless.

Genius that no one saw coming.

The year he won the Brownlow we had barely anyone stealing votes off him and he had an incredibly consistent, high class year. The Brownlow isn’t about being the best player in the comp, it’s about being the best player on your team consistently.

He had an outstanding season, there is no doubt about it, but I think your statement is spot on. I think very few people would have said that he was the best player in that 2021 season.

But if you win a lot of games and you get 30+ or 35+ touches most games, you're going to get a lot of votes. He and Boak got 61 between them that year because they were the only two getting bulk touches consistently and were sharing votes most wins.

Yes and the decision to ignore the draft for a few years to bring in Tim Kelly while backing in your veterans has really paid off. Literally the worst list of players under 22 in the league.
O’Meara cost next to nothing draft wise.
Our last significant use of draft capital was to bring in Jackson who would be close to the top of a list of exceptional talent under 22. We had 4 in that list this year.
So yeah not really our mob making stupid decisions lately.
Until your lot can unseat Nisbett & his cronies there ain’t much to look forward to.

I never said anything about using draft capital or your amazing youth - and yes, the Eagles are currently shit, that’s very true.

Freo literally gave an over the hill JOM a 4 year contract last year when Hawthorn were basically dumping him. I consider this a bit of a dud signing - silly if you like - and I know a few Freo folk do too. That is a decent parallel to a team choosing to recruit 28/29 year old potentially cooked Ollie Wines.

That’s all I was implying. ☺️

Unfatomable to think this guy is a brownlow medallist.

His name sits prominently next to Shane Woewodin as the worst of all time.

Would not get a game at Carlton.

Unfatomable to think this guy is a brownlow medallist.

His name sits prominently next to Shane Woewodin as the worst of all time.

Would not get a game at Carlton.
Think of it this way.

How would Patrick Cripps go if Vossy decided to play him on the wing.

Rather poorly I would think. Wines was/is a good player but only as your crash and bash big bodied midfielder. If Port don't want to play him there then he's in strife.

The year he won the Brownlow his season was good but nothing special.
The more surprising part was he equaled Martin's record with the most Brownlow votes.

Unfathomable that everyone in this thread is avoiding he has serious heart issues.

Extremely disingenuous to think that isnt the main cause of his drop off, ESPECIALLY when alot of his issues are his running abilities nowadays

Think of it this way.

How would Patrick Cripps go if Vossy decided to play him on the wing.

Rather poorly I would think. Wines was/is a good player but only as your crash and bash big bodied midfielder. If Port don't want to play him there then he's in strife.
Do you not think thats happening for a reason. Hinkley aint the greatest coach around but he is also isnt this stupid.

Wines has completely lost his ability to defend in close and so Hinkleys simply moved him out of that role.

wines finished equal second with bontempelli in the coaches votes the year he won the brownlow and generally had a great season. i think its a bit disengenuous to say he was never that good / was an undeserving brownlow winner. think the surgery he had on his knees is more likely to be the reason for his decline - has had no explosiveness since the issue arose and the surgery has failed to correct this.

He had an amazing year in 2021 anyone saying otherwise needs go back and look at the numbers.

Unfortunately since then he has been trash.

wines finished equal second with bontempelli in the coaches votes the year he won the brownlow and generally had a great season. i think its a bit disengenuous to say he was never that good / was an undeserving brownlow winner. think the surgery he had on his knees is more likely to be the reason for his decline - has had no explosiveness since the issue arose and the surgery has failed to correct this.
This is just odd to me.

In what way would his knee be the bigger issue as opposed to his heart? Like your heart being in A Grade shape is a little more important then a knee in any professional sport. I can take something to stop my knee being sore, I cant take anything to make my heart beat better

I think you look at his TOG over the last 12 months and you can see its his aerobic capacity thats a issue as opposed to a sore knee. Players run through a sore knee but you cant run through being absolutely aerobically spent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ollie Wines - Where Has It All Gone Wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back