Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Excellent film. :thumbsu:

2 or 3 years old now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385002/

Not to different from Football Factory (another very good such movie) and I'd categorise it as a film conveying a very similar message to Basketball Diaries.

The acting?

I can watch anything involving the incredibly beautiful Claire Forlani.
Brilliant actress as well. This film is no exception.

Elijah Wood is the best young actor going around with great range and his performance in this provides more evidence as to why.

All-round excellent acting to be fair. The guy who played the younger brother was probably the best of the lot.
A bit of candy for the ladies to look at as well! :thumbsu:

Hard to fault 'Hooligans'.
Movie doesn't stagnate, powerful ending, lasting impression.

Thoughts?

Not a massive fan to be honest.

Elijah Wood just cannot play a 'hooligan', especially with his American accent - just doesn't come across as convincing.

GSH has some decent match footage but I like Football Factory much better, as it really focuses on how it can **** with your mind/is a more realistic storyline.

Not a massive fan to be honest.

Elijah Wood just cannot play a 'hooligan', especially with his American accent - just doesn't come across as convincing.

GSH has some decent match footage but I like Football Factory much better, as it really focuses on how it can **** with your mind/is a more realistic storyline.
Each to their own I guess.

Elijah Wood cannot play a 'hooligan' because he was never meant to be one.

That was the purpose.

I read somewhere that all the actors playing the British hooligans were put through all this serious physical stuff in preperation while Wood was left out from these exercises. To further emphasise how much of an outsider he was with the group.

Football Factory is very good too. Haven't seen it for a while though.

I'm with ya Nip/Tuck

Watched it last weekend and was intrigued throughout. The blokes playing the hooligans were very believable which helped the movie immensely.

I enjoyed it:thumbsu:

Watched it last week and loved it - great movie and reminded me of Football Factory which I haven't seen for a while.

Correct me if I'm wrong was FF a Chelsea v Millwall theme?

^yeah, had this movie on dvd for a while now too.. good film...

tommy hatcher is a c*nt... the GSE shoulda killed him at the end instead of just taking him off pete

and doesnt the west ham united theme song just get into ur head... "im forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air... UNITED!... UNITED!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^yeah, had this movie on dvd for a while now too.. good film...

tommy hatcher is a c*nt... the GSE shoulda killed him at the end instead of just taking him off pete

and doesnt the west ham united theme song just get into ur head... "im forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air... UNITED!... UNITED!"
Yeah i know ay, He was killing there best mate and they just pushed him away. Thought they would all go crazy.

Agree on the best theme song:D:thumbsu:

If I remember right it bombed in the box office which is surprising because I think its a top flick. One you would think people would be interested in given the fight scenes. Alot of people did complain there wasnt enough concentration put into the football aspect of things but really one of the main messages of the film was that hooliganism and football are pretty much very seperate issues. Alot of people said Elijah Wood did a crap job. Yet again I think thats crap. My favorite part has to be the ending. It just all came together well at the end and as Nip said leaved a lasting impression.

P.S ****en Millwall

Each to their own I guess.

Elijah Wood cannot play a 'hooligan' because he was never meant to be one.

That was the purpose.
Yeah, but it still wasn't convincing. I too, thought Wood was hopelessly miscast. I agree that Charlie Hunnam (the brother) was terrific. The best thing about the movie IMO.

I thought the extreme violence in the movie was overdone and was undoubtedly put in for shock value. Still, soccer hooliganism is always a fascinating subject and overall, I thought the movie was very good. The theme of an American getting caught up in it all was a good idea that gave Green Street Hooligans some originality.

I agree that it wasn't as good as I.D.

Yeah, but it still wasn't convincing. I too, thought Wood was hopelessly miscast. I agree that Charlie Hunnam (the brother) was terrific. The best thing about the movie IMO.

I thought the extreme violence in the movie was overdone and was undoubtedly put in for shock value. Still, soccer hooliganism is always a fascinating subject and overall, I thought the movie was very good. The theme of an American getting caught up in it all was a good idea that gave Green Street Hooligans some originality.

I agree that it wasn't as good as I.D.

That was the whole bloody point. Wood was supposed to be unconvincing. If they wanted someone who looks and portrays a thug they would of hired Robert Downey jnr.

That was the whole bloody point. Wood was supposed to be unconvincing. If they wanted someone who looks and portrays a thug they would of hired Robert Downey jnr.
Who said it was the whole point? I interpreted it differently. I will suggest Wood's character was intended to be convincing as someone who could have gotten caught up in that culture. Otherwise what's the point in making a movie if your characters aren't convincing?

Who said it was the whole point? I interpreted it differently. I will suggest Wood's character was intended to be convincing as someone who could have gotten caught up in that culture. Otherwise what's the point in making a movie if your characters aren't convincing?

He didnt get caught up in it in the end. He ends up back in USA away from it all. Its probably why the movie was never a box office smash. Everyone who watched it seems to interpret it differently.

The fact the character is from USA suggests to me a big point of the movie was to suggest ANYONE could get caught up in that type of mob mentality

Remove this Banner Ad

Green Street Hooligans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back