Other Gridiron DVDs, Books, Documentaries

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: DVDs or Books

You can't go past, or go wrong with any of these three. And all three can be had for just over $100 total.

1. NFL Super Bowl I-XL Collectors Set - This is classic NFL Films. The inspiring classical music, deep toned narration, great camera angles and microphone work. Its not the actual super bowl game. Each episode is around 40 mins with 20 minutes being road to the super bowl, and 20 mins spent on the big game. A must have.

Amazon product ASIN B000EU1Q18

Anyone know if they still make these? From what I can tell they stopped making them a couple of years back (maybe Seattle was the last one in 2014?)

Wasnt one of the best 30 for 30's. but top would have it in the 20-30.

Jets fans will hate it since it goes into how they hired BB as HC twice and f**ked it up. and to a lesser extent the same for Browns/Ravens.

Wasnt one of the best 30 for 30's. but top would have it in the 20-30.

Jets fans will hate it since it goes into how they hired BB as HC twice and f**ked it up. and to a lesser extent the same for Browns/Ravens.
Not to mention the ending

Good directing. I’ll give it that.
Would rather a full belicheck story myself tbh.
He did a 2 part thing for NFLn's "A Football Life" a few years ago. but i think this was better

For the story being told this was great
I’d just rather a belicheck only story.

This was more a belicheck isn’t belicheck without parcels and parcells isn’t parcells without belicheck story.
And I see the point.

For the story being told this was great
I’d just rather a belicheck only story.

This was more a belicheck isn’t belicheck without parcels and parcells isn’t parcells without belicheck story.
And I see the point.
A football life tried that, but Belicheck wasnt as open in that doco.

I dont think we will get one till a few years after he is retired.

Take Your Eye Off the Ball: How to Watch Football by Knowing Where to Look
51ObJ6UtyzL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Collision Low Crossers: A Year Inside the Turbulent World of NFL Football
9780316254991.jpg

Planning on buying that Take Your Eye Off The Ball (there's a v2 out btw) but have got sidetracked with some fiction recently (currently reading It) so it's gonna have to wait maybe til later in the year before next season.
6da082fbfafcf593d64799e9da4e11b4df2899b7459116a78e650d8b377a421f.jpg

Glad the movie didnt adapt the whole book.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not exactly NFL, but just saw Draft Day and it's kinda fired me up a bit for the upcoming season despite the best efforts of 20 years of Snyder.

And you dont have Cousins giving DB's 10hrs to break on a ball for a INT anymore.

League sees no big problems in Big Game
Posted by Mike Florio on September 8, 2018, 11:14 AM EDT

gettyimages-72827154-e1536419503370.jpg

Getty Images

Political journalist Mark Leibovich has authored a new book that looks at the NFL like few ever have, can, or will. Big Game: The NFL in Dangerous Times is definitely worth your time (and money), if you want to develop a better understanding as to how the most popular and successful sports league in America works, or as the case may be doesn’t.

But the NFL isn’t really sweating it. As one league source recently remarked, there are no “bombshells” or other major problems for the league lurking in the book. Sure, the portraits painted of several key league figures (including Cowboys owner Jerry Jones) aren’t flattering, but if anything the anecdotes tend to humanize the billionaires who run pro football, showing that amassing a giant pile of money doesn’t inoculate against pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, and/or sloth. (The answer to the age-old question of “what’s in the box?!?” apparently is, in relation to Jones, a brand new pair of shoes.)

That’s a fair assessment of the book. Remember the stir created by Mike Pereira’s memoir for its story about a certain future Commissioner shoving the author into a door? There’s no specific, jarring moment like that in Leibovich’s book.

This doesn’t make the book any less worthy of your time (and money). As far as the NFL is concerned, however, there’s no reason to knee-jerk in response to the book from a New York Times writer in the same way the league once cartoonishly reacted to the New York Times regarding an article linking the NFL and its concussion slow-play to the tobacco industry.

Here’s another reason for the league’s lack of concern: With the book coming out two days before the start of the regular season, the thinking is that the book will be lost in the shuffle. That raises a broader question as to why publishing houses feel compelled to publish football books at the outset of football season. With football season upon us, who is buying football books in order to get their football fix?

The better play would be to release a football book at or about the time of the draft, with the author making the pre-draft rounds on radio and TV to promote it and then having the book available on shelves as wives, kids, etc. are looking for quick and easy Father’s Day gifts. If/when I ever finish my own inside look at the NFL and how I ended up in the highly unlikely spot of covering it for a living on multiple platforms, that’s when you’ll be able to not buy it.

I'm hoping with the NFL celebrating 100 seasons next year that we get some nice publications about the history of the league. I recall there being some nice ones during the 75th anniversary.
They didnt do much for the AFL 50th anniversary other than have the original 8 have throwback unis when they played eachother.

I think HBO or Showtime had a 3 part series on the AFL that year called full color football, but nothing from the NFL network i can remember.

EA Sports did sell a DLC for Madden that year that was a AFL filter where it had a 1960s style TV broadcast and all washed out .They also sold Uniforms DLC

They didnt do much for the AFL 50th anniversary other than have the original 8 have throwback unis when they played eachother.

I think HBO or Showtime had a 3 part series on the AFL that year called full color football, but nothing from the NFL network i can remember.

EA Sports did sell a DLC for Madden that year that was a AFL filter where it had a 1960s style TV broadcast and all washed out .They also sold Uniforms DLC
They're likely to go to a lot more effort for the leagues anniversary I think.

They're likely to go to a lot more effort for the leagues anniversary I think.
Would like them to.

next year will also have the 200th game between the Bears and Packers. would like a 30 for 30 or some other NFL films co-production on the rivalry.

I just hope NFL network does something more than just a Football Life. Thats not saying that a football life isnt a good show, but 100th anniversary would deserve better. do a 90min/2hr doco on every decade and even then they would still have to cut a heap of content.

Would like them to.

next year will also have the 200th game between the Bears and Packers. would like a 30 for 30 or some other NFL films co-production on the rivalry.

I just hope NFL network does something more than just a Football Life. Thats not saying that a football life isnt a good show, but 100th anniversary would deserve better. do a 90min/2hr doco on every decade and even then they would still have to cut a heap of content.
They went full on for the 75th anniversary. Having a dedicated throwback round, an all-NFL team, a special league logo that was on everything and I remember books and DVDs being released about the history of the league. Looking forward to it.

They went full on for the 75th anniversary. Having a dedicated throwback round, an all-NFL team, a special league logo that was on everything and I remember books and DVDs being released about the history of the league. Looking forward to it.
They had the gold NFL logo on the field for the season leading to Superbowl 50. other than that and having teams who played in superbowls have throw back games and most were primetime games. i dont remember they doing much else for 50 years of the Superbowl.

The Packers are doing a celebration this season and next season for 100 years of the team. and upgraded the Packers Hall of Fame section and a few other things around Lambeau. I think they are doing a special coffee table book and stuff.

There was a list of everything the Packers are doing over the next 2 seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Other Gridiron DVDs, Books, Documentaries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back