Other Gridiron DVDs, Books, Documentaries

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL unveils 100th season logo
Posted by Mike Florio on October 19, 2018, 10:00 AM EDT
nfl-100.jpg

NFL

The NFL hit a home run in the year of the 50th Super Bowl with the simple but effective decision to transform the shield to all gold. For the league’s 100th season, the official logo is a swing and a miss.

The league unveiled the logo for the 2019 season on Thursday night. It looks like a quick and easy twist on the “Play Football” logo, with not nearly enough creativity or knowledge imagination to justify whatever someone was paid to design it.

It would be interesting to see the other options, and it would be interesting to know whether there was much of an internal debate on the final choice. The best logos are the ones that instantly resonate, that seem natural and obvious. But that also have a hint of fresh and new. This logo doesn’t resonate, it seems more sanitized than natural, and there’s nothing about it that it is any way obvious, fresh, or new.

In 1994, the NFL created a diamond-shaped logo with a 75 inside, which became a fixture on every team’s jersey. The 100th-season logo presumably will be plastered on the jerseys as well, and that may not be a good thing.

Such a milestone event and they trot out that tripe. Making it worse is I expect it will appear on grounds, uniforms and merchandise too :sick:
100783422019.gif

The ones they used for the 50th and 75th anniversaries were a lot more compact (and memorable).
4878.gif
4879.gif

Anyone read Take Your Eye Off The Ball?
Just a bit off topic given the title of the book

As a newcomer trying to understand the game, after a while I stopped watching the ball and started watching an individual player or a position for each play throughout a game, rather than the ball, in order to see what they did and their infuence on the play as trying to just watch the snap and the ball was too confusing. For example watching the centre, or a linbacker or just the running back.

Also have gone and watched some local games and found watching from behind the goals makes the game easier to understand than watching from the side of the ground.
A bit surprised they dont show this view more often on the tv.
HTH ☺

reading Jeff Benedicts The Dynasty about the Patriots been really good so far just up to when Kraft took over the team!

Finish it yet? Good?

I read Gridrion Genius but Lombardi does tend to have a little bit of a know it all attitude, not that I didnt learn a lot from it though!

Boys Will Be Boys was amazing. Just a great inside look at the 90s Cowboys Dynasty by a fantastic author in Jeff Pearlman.

Finish it yet? Good?

I read Gridrion Genius but Lombardi does tend to have a little bit of a know it all attitude, not that I didnt learn a lot from it though!

Boys Will Be Boys was amazing. Just a great inside look at the 90s Cowboys Dynasty by a fantastic author in Jeff Pearlman.

not yet sort of got distracted over Christmas with work and family! about half to go will get back into it soon! good read though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Upcoming 30 for 30 "Al Davis Vs the NFL" airing Superbowl week

Directed by Ken Rodgers who did the Bill Belichick/Bill Parcells, Elway to Marino, Four Falls of Buffalo and Deion Sanders 30 for 30s

the documentary presents an intimate look inside one of the great rivalries in the history of the National Football League – former Raiders owner Al Davis and former NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle, whose battle grew so intense that players, owners, franchises – even the League itself – became characters in a three-decade long Shakespearean feud that changed football forever.

The film traces the relationship from their early clashes in the AFL/NFL wars of the 1960s through their tacit reconciliation upon Rozelle’s retirement in 1989, with a special emphasis on the antitrust lawsuit Al Davis filed against the NFL in 1980. Davis wanted to relocate his legendary team from Oakland to Los Angeles, in pursuit of a state-of-the-art stadium, but the league would not approve. Today, with the Raiders recently completing their inaugural season in Las Vegas in a brand–new stadium, something Davis always dreamed of building himself, the film presents the adversarial relationship between the two visionaries.

Al Davis having a cry about the NFL poaching a FA kicker from the AFL. while ignoring the under the table deals the AFL made with draft prospects to get they away from the NFL.
that made me think of the 5 part NFL films doco they had on HBO years ago for the 50th anniversary of the AFL "Full color Football"

I stopped watching about 40 mins in.

It feels like a very superficial look at the story - just a bunch archival footage with fakes narrating over the top doesn't really add much to a story that is reasonably well known to fans of the game. And fake Al Davis complaining about something every 5 mins got old real quick

Yeah it wasnt one of the better ones. It might not of helped that it showed more than a few "Trump" like qualities Davis had.

They could of done something better by either focusing on Pete or Al and then incorporating the rivalry. the deepfakes and using them as narrators just felt like them trying to jump on a trend without thinking about it enough.

I think im going to go through my hard drives and try to find full color football and watch that again in the next few months.

I wonder when ESPN's Brady doco is going to air and if covid pushed it out of this year.

Finish it yet? Good?

I enjoyed Boys will be Boys more, but it was a good read all the same.
If you're a Pats fan you'll love the book. It's very Patriots skewed, skipping over some detail that you wish was included from the other side of the coin, but understable why it wasn't.
I found some of the earlier years (with Kraft manouvering to get Sullivan Stadium, his bid to buy the Pats and the Parcells dramas) more interesting than the later years as it seemed to either blow through them, or cover familiar ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Other Gridiron DVDs, Books, Documentaries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back