Griffin dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a two week break not long ago. I can understand being rested the week before or week after for a nice 3 week break but two weeks after the break seems odd. Will he be playing in the SANFL now or does the club he play for have a bye?

If he is playing in the SANFL it is not to have a rest.
His SANFL team takes on the mighty bays.

I hope he gets rested ;)

I would have understood Mattner being dropped weeks ago but the same week we lose Bassett??? Doesn't make sense to me to further unsettle what has been a very good defence.

Disappointed for Griffin, but do understand he needs a break - again though, why not LAST week when he would have benefited from the long break?

Disappointed also for Douglas - he's certainly done enough to deserve a call-up... and as Ive said the last week, Roo could have made way for him while he goes back to reserves to regain fitness. I hope Roo has a blinder this week or I will be calling for it again next week!

If we lose to Hawthorn this week we should bring in all the young fellas and give them a real good run for the remainder of the year.

Good that Maric is in. Griff is unlucky - but it HAD TO HAPPEN SOON.

Douglas is very unlucky not to be in.

Mattner needs some confidence.

Goodwin & Burton BIG BIG plusses.

[edit: big mistake said Bassett meant Burton]

Good to see Big Ivan back in. As much as I love Griff he hasn't been overly impressive the past couple of weeks.

As for Porps, he was our only forward who could take a mark out in front last week. No way does he deserves to be dropped.

Maybe they sent Mattner to relocate his right foot? He NEVER uses it, and always is caught trying the same move. Burton/Goody back are good ins though.

Would've like to seen Richie Douglas get a run this week, especially with the 7 goals in the SANFL, but that would mean 4 changes are made which is probably more than NC is willing to bring in.

Have to agree that he doesn't chase as hard as he could sometimes.

I think that IS as hard as he can.
Pace and endurance have always been his problems. Remember that Adam Goodes tackle? That looked like friggin slow motion, yet Porps was absolutely busting his gut to catch up. Goodes wasn't even going full pace, yet Porps only just caught him.
He just doesn't have much in the way of legspeed - and looks very very slow compared to most AFL players his size.

Good to see Big Ivan back in. As much as I love Griff he hasn't been overly impressive the past couple of weeks.

As for Porps, he was our only forward who could take a mark out in front last week. No way does he deserves to be dropped.

Porplysia 5 marks 7 kicks no score no tackles 2 frees against,
Bock 6 marks 11 kicks Goals 2.2,
McGregor 5 marks 1 free so 6 marks 10 kicks goals 2.1 plenty of unsighted in the backs as well as contesting and 1 effective tackle,
Scott Welsh 3 marks 6 kicks 1 point and one out on the full and 5 effective tackles.

Against the Roos Porps played a game on-par or lesser then Welsh against WC no better against Geelong perhaps worse and last score was 2 goals against Melbourne quite some time ago now.
Mattner is clearly expected a great deal more out of when played out of position to his disadvantage.
Porplysia is in terrible form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mattner is clearly expected a great deal more out of when played out of position to his disadvantage.
Porplysia is in terrible form.

To be fair, Porps was played in defence for a quarter, and you could argue that even as a forward he's being played out of position.
He's a midfielder who has the hands to be a leading forward.

Regardless, given that his best assett is his strong hands, he could prove more valuable in the wet than Mattner.

Great to see Goodwin and Burton named to come back in, some very important players back in the line-up. Hopefully they both come up.

No surprise with the ruck change, will be good to see what Maric can do, would not surprise me if he holds his place in the team for the rest of the season.

Mattner IMO unlucky. I think he should just be put back on the wing and told to run, carry and kick long. Maybe a week n the SANFL will be good for him though, but as long as he doesn't go straight back in as a KP defender.

I hope that when mattner comes back, he comes back as a winger, and not as a defender, most def not a defender, we need that raking left foot busting the lines, not trying to defend

Maric is in, which is cool.

but have we officially given up on meesen?

Wouldn't have thought so.

Maric has had a month of good form in the SANFL seniors, after having looked damn awful in the previous few weeks.

Meesens injury was a month longer and Norwood wouldn't pick him in the seniors. They better bloody pick him this week.

His regression from gun AFL Wingman to SANFL footballer continues.

He would have to be Craigies one big failure. Really disappointed he got dropped when other players such as Bock, Welsh etc have had such an inconsistent year. Seems to be rules for some and rules for others. As for Douglas, what more do you have to do to get a game.

On the plus side, great to see Big Iv in the 22.

Mattner dropped :eek:
havent seen many of the games lately being over here in england, but i saw the kangas game that my dad sent the video of and mattner wasnt that bad in that game.

does his form warrant being dropped??

Mattners form does warrent him being dropped IMO. He's been shocking frankly (and this is coming from a double blues supporter) and last week was somewhat of a low, add to the fact that he really does not defend (ie mark a player-WING PLEASE!!!), and despite some highlights like great tackling and breaking lines on occasions I think Marty having a break is not such a bad idea. Having said that there are others I would drop before him.

Wouldn't have thought so.

Maric has had a month of good form in the SANFL seniors, after having looked damn awful in the previous few weeks.

Meesens injury was a month longer and Norwood wouldn't pick him in the seniors. They better bloody pick him this week.
Spot on. Meese has to get some senior game time, then after a couple of strong performances he should be pushing for a spot. Have'nt given up yet!

As for Douglas - damn unlucky, however if his form does'nt scare the shit out of those other midfielders then nothing will. Step up fellas, or make way!

Spot on. Meese has to get some senior game time, then after a couple of strong performances he should be pushing for a spot. Have'nt given up yet!

As for Douglas - damn unlucky, however if his form does'nt scare the shit out of those other midfielders then nothing will. Step up fellas, or make way!
Attention Michael Doughty

Griffin did play pretty bad on the weekend, I think its a good move giving Maric a go. Although I think Griffin should return within the next few matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Griffin dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Back