Griffin dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Griffin did play pretty bad on the weekend, I think its a good move giving Maric a go. Although I think Griffin should return within the next few matches.
Griff did alright for what was to be expected against a pretty formidable ruck combination. The rest will do him good though, I mean look at him hes a stick figure, I probably weigh more than him! Needs to give his body a break, added that Maric in the AFL is definitely a good thing, get him amongst it.

Not really suprised Mattner was dropped. It's a bit harsh though. He's playing in the wrong position. He hasn't really set the world on fire for a while. Dougie is very unlucky. If he puts in another blinder he would have to be a shoe-in next week. Burton and Goody are big big ins. Birdman is a very important player to us. When it and firing he is one hard bugger to stop. Park him HFF and he will kill. Players bigger than his size, brilliant hands, massive engine and adds flair and unpredicatable-ness to our side. He sometimes does the most unco things and makes himself look like an idiot but the best far outweigh his worst.

Good selections IMO.

Maric would have been brought in earlier, but he needed to show himself at SANFL beforehand. He has a lot to offer to this game. Its no comment on Griff by any stretch of the imagination. He was stellar against Cox, but we can't expect him to be competitive all year round.

Mattner is unlucky, but he'll learn from it. There's still so much talent wrapped up in him that needed to be unleashed. Hopefully a week out can give him a good learning. I have a feeling that he or Dougie could be back for Goodwin or Birdman though. I'm not convinced they are ready.

There is a lack of height, but we should be OK in the conditions.

I'm a lot more confident now. I might even expect a win haha. Go Crows!

Good selections IMO.

Mattner is unlucky, but he'll learn from it. There's still so much talent wrapped up in him that needed to be unleashed. Hopefully a week out can give him a good learning. I have a feeling that he or Dougie could be back for Goodwin or Birdman though. I'm not convinced they are ready.

Interesting to note that Dougie hasn't been named for Glenelg in Sunday's game!...read into that what you will....

Good selections IMO.

Maric would have been brought in earlier, but he needed to show himself at SANFL beforehand. He has a lot to offer to this game. Its no comment on Griff by any stretch of the imagination. He was stellar against Cox, but we can't expect him to be competitive all year round.

I agree.

I suggested Mattner should be dropped in the selections thread. Sure he played a good game 2 games ago, but he has been inconsistent. Massie is in better form & actually better playing on talls than Marty (for those worried with Bassett dropping out), so this selection makes sense.

As Stiffy mentioned, Maric was always going to come in for Griffin at some stage. If anything, it probably should have happened a few weeks back when John was struggling with his ankle. As for why Meesen hasn't been picked - because he isn't playing league!

Will Bock play CHB with a small forward line, or will we go with Massie as the 3rd "tall" backman.

Roo must either player FF or on-ball. He is not fit/mobile enough for a HFF. Leave that to Porps, etc

I would prefer Douglas to be playing ahead of an injured Edwards, but otherwise I think the selectors have done well with their selections.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's trying to say that there are some players who aren't playing that well yet they're still in the team, ahead of guys who are carving it up in the SANFL.

There is more than just ''carving it up in the SANFL'' that goes into making a change...as Luke Jericho said its also about training and applying yourself to what the coach wants.

Having said that I also think SANFL form is important in selection criteria.

Maybe Douglas has been told to be more consistent at SANFL level ie not have 1 brilliant game but to put together 3 solid games etc. Its all well and good rookies having 1 game bursts because thats not going to cut it in the big league ( Scott Welsh aside :cool: )

Griffin did play pretty bad on the weekend, I think its a good move giving Maric a go. Although I think Griffin should return within the next few matches.

Don't some of you watch the game.

Griff won more than his fair share of hit outs in the first half in which we won the clearances by plenty.

But he couldn't keep up with or read or follow instructions regarding Cox.

Whether it's his inexperience, his body is feeling the pressure or just forgot to follow him up, it's to be expected.

But he didn't have a bad game as you put it.

Don't some of you watch the game.

Griff won more than his fair share of hit outs in the first half in which we won the clearances by plenty.

But he couldn't keep up with or read or follow instructions regarding Cox.

Whether it's his inexperience, his body is feeling the pressure or just forgot to follow him up, it's to be expected.

But he didn't have a bad game as you put it.

Agreed - I think Griff has well and truly achieved above expectations this year so far and is very unlucky to be dropped. I know we need to see what Maric can do and I guess if the weather conditions were going to be kinder, they could have slotted the big Griff into the forward lines and played Maric as the second ruck.

There is more than just ''carving it up in the SANFL'' that goes into making a change...as Luke Jericho said its also about training and applying yourself to what the coach wants.

Having said that I also think SANFL form is important in selection criteria.

Maybe Douglas has been told to be more consistent at SANFL level ie not have 1 brilliant game but to put together 3 solid games etc. Its all well and good rookies having 1 game bursts because thats not going to cut it in the big league ( Scott Welsh aside :cool: )

Douglas b.o.g two weeks in a row.
Would have thought this to be enough to get a game in an underperforming and over rated side.

2 things.

1: Douglas isn't named. The Crows play Saturday night and Glenelg play Sunday, so he should be named, and if need be they can still pull him out. I think there's something there.

2: Griffin gets put straight into the Central's 1's...while Giles just gets boned into the ressies straight off. :)

It's interesting - Craigy constantly talks about competition for positions, yet it seems like it's harder to get out of the team than into it.

Agree with this statement King and it's getting extremely frustrating as we are losing soft games.

Agree with this statement King and it's getting extremely frustrating as we are losing soft games.

It sounds like frustration that everyone's favourite hate-me players (Massie, Doughty, Shirley, etc) are being picked ahead of some much-fantasised-about youngsters (Vince, Douglas). :p

But seriously, I'm not sure who we'd drop at the moment. Shirley is doing his job, Doughty and Massie are in good form. All are performing at a level well beyond what Douglas and Vince did when they had their chance earlier.

If we weren't chasing a premiership it would be a different story of course.

Griff needs a rest.

Douglas - while having a couple of good games at SANFL, is not the be all to end all. Still young with some things to learn.

As for the Competition for places and people Carving it up at SANFL - What about Maric?

I believe in the coach for this game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Griffin dropped

Remove this Banner Ad

Back