Remove this Banner Ad

SmokingGun

Team Captain
May 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
G'day guys and gals,

Just letting any Melbourne based Freo fans know about the 4th annual "Grudgematch" that's being played this Saturday (25 July) in Melbourne.

Yesterday we had a photo shoot with a photographer from The Age and there should be an article on the match in today or tomorrow's West Australian and possibly The Age. (I'll send through a link when I can).

For those that don't know about this most religious of days for West Aussies based in Melbourne, every year on the day of the second Derby, we play a game of footy. It began quite haphazardly with a bunch of people who barely knew eachother to a full on contest with banners, trophies etc.

A swag of Sandgroper ex-pats whose collective skill falls short of Josh Head's is a sight to be seen.

The venue this year is the delightful little Ramsden Oval down in Clifton Hill - Melways reference 44 G2, and gates are open at 12pm for a 1pm bouncedown.

This year Damien Drumn will be coming down and we've also got the brother of a former Dockers captain playing. We usually have the original Grinder playing for us but not this year.

Fitzroy Dockers won its first Grudgematch last year -- the Eagles won the previous two. Should be a great contest and the boys are pumped for the game.

Anyway if you can't come down to support the Fitzroy Dockers -- we'll be having the mother of all Western Derby shin digs at the Royal Derby on the corner of Brunswick St and Alexandra Pde, Fitzroy, afterwards to watch the real Derby.

And here's the video of Grudgematch 1: http://vimeo.com/5491780 and of course facebook (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=219802435617).

Anyhow, go Freo (and Fitzroy Dockers).

SG.

G'day guys and gals,

Just letting any Melbourne based Freo fans know about the 4th annual "Grudgematch" that's being played this Saturday (25 July) in Melbourne.

Yesterday we had a photo shoot with a photographer from The Age and there should be an article on the match in today or tomorrow's West Australian and possibly The Age. (I'll send through a link when I can).

For those that don't know about this most religious of days for West Aussies based in Melbourne, every year on the day of the second Derby, we play a game of footy. It began quite haphazardly with a bunch of people who barely knew eachother to a full on contest with banners, trophies etc.

A swag of Sandgroper ex-pats whose collective skill falls short of Josh Head's is a sight to be seen.

The venue this year is the delightful little Ramsden Oval down in Clifton Hill - Melways reference 44 G2, and gates are open at 12pm for a 1pm bouncedown.

This year Damien Drumn will be coming down and we've also got the brother of a former Dockers captain playing. We usually have the original Grinder playing for us but not this year.

Fitzroy Dockers won its first Grudgematch last year -- the Eagles won the previous two. Should be a great contest and the boys are pumped for the game.

Anyway if you can't come down to support the Fitzroy Dockers -- we'll be having the mother of all Western Derby shin digs at the Royal Derby on the corner of Brunswick St and Alexandra Pde, Fitzroy, afterwards to watch the real Derby.

And here's the video of Grudgematch 1: http://vimeo.com/5491780 and of course facebook (http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=219802435617).

Anyhow, go Freo (and Fitzroy Dockers).

SG.

Heave Ho!... should be a great day!

The roster is pretty full but please come down and support

Good afternoon wonderful Fremantle people,

Thought you guys might be interested in reading this: http://blogs.crikey.com.au/chappell...es-at-its-purest-poorest-and-most-passionate/

We played a footy game on Saturday in Melbourne with expats from WA -- its the 5th year we have done this.

Ben Allan gave us an inspirational text message (his brother played for us) and Damien Drum came down to lend his support.

Just thought thsi might put a smile on your faces and I wish everyone all the best for Season 2009.

Leigh
(Vice Captain Fitzroy Dockers).

Love it:

freobanner.jpg

Great to see. We needed to find some more ways of belting the yellowbacks. These derbies are getting downright predictable. Well done Leigh and the gang on another solid win.

PS- I believe Dale Kickett floats around Melbourne occasionally if you need a hand with any East Coast Eagles disiplinary matters.;)

I'm acquiring the footage this morning. Will be sending Channel Nine an email asking why Crikey didn't get atrributed. They obviously pinched the image from BigFooty or some such, not from the article I wrote.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah it was a classic! cacked myself when i saw vic and chris on tv! it is a pity they didn't mention the grudgematch at all, that would've been cooler...

I agree, whilst i was impressed with the laugh it got it was a bit bittersweet that intended irony was completely ignored

i was reminiscing with smoking gun yesterday and we still think our finest Grudge match banner was from #1;

'YOU BIRDS ARE GONNA BE COVERED IN SEAMEN'

Remove this Banner Ad

Grudgematch IV: Fitzroy Dockers vs. East Coast Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back