Guernseys - time for a re-think?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need the afp to bug HJ's dinner table conversations. Such vitriol is an attack on the Australian way of life. Unaustralian I tell ya !

i agree, players who dont want to show off their arms should have an option.

oh wait...
AFL+1st+Semi+Final+Sydney+v+Carlton+S_TVu8vaac9l.jpg

As someone with outstanding guns but impeccable fashion sense, this OP leaves me conflicted

Been discussing this with my father recently about how the modern game has evolved and technology is always improving yet outdated relics of the past continue to be entrenched in the sport. In particular, guernseys.

I'm sure guernseys used to be stylish back in the 50's and 60's when football was starting out and as such were appropriate attire for the times. But today's world is about combining sexy and comfort with style and practicableness.

Today's society has people that aren't comfortable showing their arms off for the whole world to see, and as a result of that you have a whole segment of society that feel excluded from footy and never play the game because they don't their arms exposed like that.

I know we have the long sleeve variants, but to me that just feels like a lazy compromise and no ones bothered to put much thought in to it.

The uniform nature of team colours etc also feels a little bit like communism to me, players should be free to play in something that they feel comfortable with rather than being forced to wear only a certain colour or style as they go to their job.

Is it time we allowed players to wear whatever they want and feel comfortable with? Is the guernsey an outdated clothing piece?

WHat would be the point of getting those ugly arm tatts if you cant show them off? 95% of players would have wasted their time and money if they had to cover them up

This is unfair on the bay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been discussing this with my father recently about how the modern game has evolved and technology is always improving yet outdated relics of the past continue to be entrenched in the sport. In particular, guernseys.

I'm sure guernseys used to be stylish back in the 50's and 60's when football was starting out and as such were appropriate attire for the times. But today's world is about combining sexy and comfort with style and practicableness.

Today's society has people that aren't comfortable showing their arms off for the whole world to see, and as a result of that you have a whole segment of society that feel excluded from footy and never play the game because they don't their arms exposed like that.

I know we have the long sleeve variants, but to me that just feels like a lazy compromise and no ones bothered to put much thought in to it.

The uniform nature of team colours etc also feels a little bit like communism to me, players should be free to play in something that they feel comfortable with rather than being forced to wear only a certain colour or style as they go to their job.

Is it time we allowed players to wear whatever they want and feel comfortable with? Is the guernsey an outdated clothing piece?
hipstersport.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Guernseys - time for a re-think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back