Discussion Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the point of duplicate nominations?

If the committee is basing their approval or rejection on a public vote, what's the point of the committee?

Where has a public vote been proposed?

Where has a public vote been proposed?
That's the only argument I can see for duplicate nominations.

boncer34 suggested multiple nominations for the same nominee would give more weight. I don't think that should be the case, given those nominating aren't the same as those voting, and those voting are in that position ostensibly due to their understanding of the league and nominees. If the HOF committee is taking into account the number of nominations for the same nominee, then perhaps they shouldn't be voting.

That's the only argument I can see for duplicate nominations.

boncer34 suggested multiple nominations for the same nominee would give more weight. I don't think that should be the case, given those nominating aren't the same as those voting, and those voting are in that position ostensibly due to their understanding of the league and nominees. If the HOF committee is taking into account the number of nominations for the same nominee, then perhaps they shouldn't be voting.

I would be stunned if any HoF'er would be be swayed by one person having more than one nominee. That said I could see the one nom being signed off by two Clubs if the person had made substantial contributions to both.

The FitzroyBowieDog nom posted earlier ishows the level of quality nomination required.. iirc there was universal acclaim for the HoF,s decision on FWB, a much admired poster.

I think for public interests sake the nominations should be published in full however I'm fairly confident the Hall of Fame nomination process (still) doesn't go through the committee (and really shouldn't IMO though all clubs should have representation as they have done in the past) so publishing them for the committee's sake is redundant.
I don’t think there’s any need for the committee to see them. I do think it should be a committee rep-led nomination process though.

Lighten up buddy I have non idea if you have or are doing anything, just a funny thing to post.
My post was lighter than a feather.

This isn't my understanding of the process, though to be fair it's unsurprising that confusion exists.

Surely those voting are voting because they have been deemed to be capable of making a judgement call based on a) the nomination, and b) their understanding of the league. The nomination itself should be sound and comprehensive. It shouldn't matter if one or five or ten regular members have also put their name to it - the actual details of the nomination, which is then presented to the committee, is what counts.

And as it stands, there's no way of seeing how comprehensive those nominations are.
Just taking the piss mate

I don’t think there’s any need for the committee to see them. I do think it should be a committee rep-led nomination process though.

Or Skipper or joint from a Club's LG. I note some Clubs are led by relative noobs.Tis may be a disadvantage for a person on their list who happens to have a strong case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club reps (who have traditionally been the ones submitting these noms in my time in the committee) need to take this on as a responsibility and do the recognition justice.
Didn't we move away from having club reps because those already in the HOF didn't want public nominations?

They made it pretty clear at the time they wanted to take the whole process to their own sub board without club/league input?

Bizarre backflip to whatever this is.

Didn't we move away from having club reps because those already in the HOF wanted to take the whole process to their own sub board without club/league input?
I want league input, hence asking the whole league for nominations.

You do raise a point that it would be difficult for a non-HoF member to run it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

Back