Anthony Carter 29.0%

Me? I voted for Hart.

Heal.
13 minutes.
0-3 FG.
0-3 3pt.
1 steal.
1 board

Jason Hart's impact may not be seen on the statsheet, but he's putting in a damn gusty performance after coming in a few days ago. I am a big fan of his and I think he should be on a roster, the Spurs or otherwise.

The problem is, Hart isn't a shooter. Heal is. Heal was brought in to shoot and nail balls like ala Steve Kerr.
Really needs to put in some impressive outings again soon.

Heal isn't assertive enough. Robert Horry won't pass up a half-good look, why should he...

If he could just nail a 3 or two every game he'd be right, he played alright against Miami and done some real nice things, but his shooting was too poor to over look.

Hammer

I think he's gone.

Didn't look "with it" (shooting wise) today from watching the game.....even the steal he made was pure luck but he did start a nice play off from it.

His ball handling was great though,no turnovers but didn't penetrate at all.

He really looks small out there and at times lost,which is understandable considering how much time he is getting,and if his shots don't drop he wont provide much else in that company.

Would love to see him make it,but i dont think he will.

But at the end of the day you have to look at what the Spurs need. Once Parker gets back obviously he is your number 1 PG, he can do it all, penetrate, shoot, even the 3 ball, not hugely consistent but still enough to keep the defence honest. Not too shabby on the defensive end either.

After that though you should have Carter who is a veteran, can make big plays and can distribute the ball well. He is a good back up. So obviously it comes down to Heal and Hart.

Now neither player will be getting that much time behind Parker and Carter so when they get there time the player would need an instant impact. Hart is a good player who can run the offence well but he isnt a shooter and he isnt an impact player. Heal is, he can come on and rattle off a few 3's just like Kerr did last season and many seasons before that.

If I was the coach, I would defintiely prefer Heal on the end of the bench just in case you need a shooter or an impact player. Hart couldnt provide this....

Maybe Im being patriotic but it also makes sense.

Originally posted by jod23
But at the end of the day you have to look at what the Spurs need. Once Parker gets back obviously he is your number 1 PG, he can do it all, penetrate, shoot, even the 3 ball, not hugely consistent but still enough to keep the defence honest. Not too shabby on the defensive end either.

After that though you should have Carter who is a veteran, can make big plays and can distribute the ball well. He is a good back up. So obviously it comes down to Heal and Hart.

Now neither player will be getting that much time behind Parker and Carter so when they get there time the player would need an instant impact. Hart is a good player who can run the offence well but he isnt a shooter and he isnt an impact player. Heal is, he can come on and rattle off a few 3's just like Kerr did last season and many seasons before that.

If I was the coach, I would defintiely prefer Heal on the end of the bench just in case you need a shooter or an impact player. Hart couldnt provide this....

Maybe Im being patriotic but it also makes sense.

I think that is the exactly the reason that Heal got invited to SA. It's not for his ballhandling etc so much as his game busting 3's a la Steve Kerr. Like Kerr showed last season if you can do it twice a year and WHEN IT COUNTS then you've a got a part to play. And I think Shane can do that.

Hammer

Of course fella's....both good points,he's a great shooter "when on" but in NBA company I wonder if he can do it,especially with his age...and apparent bad back.

I hope he does....we havn't had any Aussies in the league for a while.....I love listening to the commentator's allways bring the "Auuuuuustralian Shane Heal/Andrew Gaze/Luc Longley" call on...they allways have a story bout them aswell :p

Another poorish game from the Hammer, 1-4 from the field, all beyond the arc to go with 1 assist and 2 turnovers. In related news, the Spurs placed Ron Mercer on the IL and activated Devin Brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been following Shane Heal closely for a while now, since he got the try-out. But his numbers just don't add up. He is always shooting 1-3 or something and not really by numbers sake having an impact.

I wish him well though.

Originally posted by mattyc2422
He's shooting 27.3% from the floor.

Eep.
He's usually open too, so he does need to be shooting at a better clip to help the team. Heal starts hitting and it opens up the inside more. That's why he'd be more valuable than Hart. Just isn't getting it done though.

Shane has become a little bitch over there, unfortunately. What ever happened to the guy who got in Sir Charles' faced or gave the dual middle-finger salute to a Clipsal Powerhouse crowd, back in the day?

He has what it takes to be a top bench player in this league. I know most people will laugh at the names of Derek Fisher, Tony Delk, Tyronn Lue... but Shane can easily provide what these guys do for their respective ball clubs. He just has to believe he can... BE THE BALL, SHANE!

Originally posted by Dingster
He's usually open too, so he does need to be shooting at a better clip to help the team. Heal starts hitting and it opens up the inside more. That's why he'd be more valuable than Hart. Just isn't getting it done though.
Exactly. Heal has the ability to spread the floor that is bloody useful when you've got a guy named Tim Duncan that is constantly double teamed.

Sadly, he's not doing as he is capable.

Absolutely. Deservedly so, and to be honest, Hart is also a favourite of mine. As much as I love Shane as an Australian, I think Hart deserves a spot on the SA roster, without a doubt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hammer Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back