Hampden Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

I know that after round 1 it is easy to do predictions for the season, but it looks like Port Fairy and Koroit may struggle this year.Anybody want to make some predictions?:thumbsu:

White transfer appeal denied
By ELIZA SEWELL
April 13, 2006

SOUTH Warrnambool ruckman Tom White was stunned last night by an appeal board's decision not to allow his clearance to his favoured club Terang Mortlake.

The 21-year-old was readying to play for the Bloods but a South West Border Regional Appeal Board dismissed White's appeal after three clearances had already been rejected.

The board of Peter Burke, Robert Anderson and Ian Yewers agreed White should stay at South at the hearing held at the Hampden league headquarters on Lava Street in Warrnambool.

"I wasn't expecting it, I don't think anyone was, I was shocked," White said.

"I was assuming we'd win and I'd be playing for Terang Mortlake."

The Hampden league representative ruckman was bewildered last night and unsure about his playing future.

"It's doing my head in stressing about it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do," he said

"The last thing I want to do is take a year off footy but it might come to that.

"I'll have to think about it over the weekend."

South Warrnambool president Gary Walsh was pleased with the decision and said it was a win for junior football.

"It was a tribunal decision for junior football," he said.

"When you put so much time into junior players it's nice to think you're going to get 50 senior games out of them."

He said volunteer junior coaches should be encouraged by the decision, which supported player development.

"Tom White is a South Warrnambool player," he said.

"Obviously, South Warrnambool is very pleased to have Tom White as a player.

"He has played all his junior football with South Warrnambool and just 35 senior games.

"We're very pleased with the result. It encourages all sides to bring up and develop juniors."

Terang Mortlake coach Adam Dowie could not be reached for comment last night.

This story was found at: http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2006/04/13/1144521432738.html

Stone, Schrama in
By GREG GLIDDON
April 21, 2006

TERANG Mortlake last night welcomed back one of its premiership stars with Danny Stone returning to the Bloods line-up to face South Warrnambool.

The young midfield star and runner-up in last year's Maskell Medal is a welcome addition to the side which will face the Roosters without one of its leaders in Matthew Irving, who is unavailable for the clash with a wedding in Queensland.

Also back for the premier is Simon Schrama, who will slot nicely into the backline which lacked some experience in the 12-point loss to Camperdown two weeks ago.

Nathan Couch has been omitted from the side.

Coach Adam Dowie said last night that Stone would continue with VFL club Northern Bullants throughout the year, but with the VFL team up against Tasmania, which doesn't have a reserves team, it gave him a chance to return home this
week.

``He hasn't played for a few weeks with injury,'' Dowie said. ``But it's a great opportunity for him to come back.

``He bleeds red and blue and really wants to come back and we're really happy to have him back.''

Dowie said the Bloods lacked experience down back and he was glad to welcome back Schrama.

``We had Simon Densley on (Brian) Hinkey last time and he had three goals on him at quarter-time, through no fault of the young fella, not one was from a mark.

``Things just haven't been going for us so far but I'd rather have things go against us now than later in the season.''

Opponent South Warrnambool has been forced into making one change, with veteran Stephen Anderson out with a broken arm suffered early in the Roosters win against Warrnambool last start.

Into the side comes Shannon Carter, who has been named on the forward line.

The Saints made just the one forced change to the side that was too strong for North Warrnambool Eagles last start.

Into the side comes Ben Walsh at the expense of Karl Dwyer who is out with a niggling quad injury.

Cobden has made one change from the side that smashed Port Fairy for three quarters two weeks ago.

Forward Sam Dunbar comes back into the side after serving his one-match suspension while Brendan Hickey is the player to make way, named as the first emergency.

Warrnambool plays host to North Warrnambool Eagles.

The Blues have been able to regain Andrew McPherson from a hamstring injury but young gun Jason Rowan is set to miss an extended period again after he was injured at training on Tuesday night.

Rowan suffered a broken thumb when he got it wedged and is expected to miss between four and six weeks. It's the second serious break the youngster has suffered in two years after he missed the majority of last season with a broken jaw.

The Eagles have made two changes.

Adam McLeod and Ross Levett come into the side to add to add experience and dash.

The final clash sees Camperdown host Port Fairy.

Camperdown has made one change to its side with Jason Kerger coming in at the expense of Ben Finlay.

The struggling Seagulls will have to do without three players this week.

Dean Hilton will miss with an ankle problem, Josh Sobey with a knee injury and Richard Farley is out with the flu.

Inclusions are Chris Dyson, David Neal, who has recovered from a shoulder injury, and veteran Alistair Down.

This story was found at: http://the.standard.net.au/articles/2006/04/21/1145344250929.html

North struggled against Warrnambool but as Go Fullta stated the North boys are young and certainly were physically immature against the Reid Oval boys. Still if they work hard on the track they may cause some problems for sides that take them lightly.

I think the team to beat will the Roosters(not biased:p) after their impresive win at Terang. Camperdown may provide some tough opposition, thought.

Brian Hinkley appears to be heading for the triple figures in 2006. This bloke is like vintage wine and with him in front of the big sticks Camperdown willbe very dangerous. He is one of the best country footballers i've seen.

There is a young gun at cobden named sam harkin on ahalf forward flank can anyone tell me how good he really is??

Turtle_15 said:
There is a young gun at cobden named sam harkin on ahalf forward flank can anyone tell me how good he really is??

Don't know much about Harkin but I will find out what I can. Any tips for this week as I struggled last week and seem to nbe of the mark about an all Warrnambool Grand Final. The Old fella kicked another bag for Camperdown last week:thumbsu:

Seeing no one else wants to have a crack at tipping i'll have another go.
Port Fairy d Warrnambool-17pts
Terang/Mortlake d Koroit-11pts
Camperdown d Cobden-27pts
Sth Warrn d Nth Warrn-86pts.

Cheers:thumbsu:

Can anyone assist?? My club is desperately trying to find a past player for a 50th year premiership anniversary..The player 'Alf Clarke' we believe may have subsequently played in the Warrnambool area after our 1956 Premiership...he would now be about 70 years old and we have been told he married a school teacher who was posted to this area. He originally came to Mentone after winning a Morrish Medal in the VFL for Carlton (could play a bit) and before Carlton he played for Golden Square in Bendigo...so if you know anyone who might be able to assist or even ask anyone you know from the late 50's era about the name Alf Clarke and see if it prompts any info, we would be very grateful...he is the one player we are missing at present and out reunion is on May 27th...cheers c/- Mentone FC ...post a reply as I will be checking regularly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the 2 nickolus boys are fabulous players and defiantly in great form. drew macaskill is playing great also and no shane garner has moved to sunhine i think 2 - 3 years ago. top player though... warrnambool has also recuited a young 19 yo gun from penshurst and is in the interleague squad.. darren uwing. also ben parkinson who could put his hand up for a leadership role in interleague team is playing great footy...

predictions for end of year standinds
1. south
2. terang
3. warrnambool
4. koroit
5. cobden
6. camperdown
7. port fairy
8. north

My tips for this week-a great round of matches that could determine final positions at the end of the year.

Warrnambool to d terang/Mortlake by 13 pts
camperdown to d Koroit by 9 pts
Sth W to d Cobden by 23 pts
Port Fairy to d Nth Warrnambool by 16 pts:thumbsu:

ringo1 said:
My tips for this week-a great round of matches that could determine final positions at the end of the year.

Terang should acount for warrnambool easily

ratley said:
ringo1 said:

Terang should acount for warrnambool easily

Even with Kurt Niklaus in the Blues' line-up? Seriously though, how does the big Barra rate in the league?

He would have to be one of the best defenders wouldn't he.

In the WAFL last year, especially in the 2nd half, he was as good as any full back going around

ringo1 said:
Don't know much about Harkin but I will find out what I can. Any tips for this week as I struggled last week and seem to nbe of the mark about an all Warrnambool Grand Final. The Old fella kicked another bag for Camperdown last week:thumbsu:

harkin is a very good footballer, bit light, but has a great leap and reads the play very well, playing with there seinors and i heard he ignored going to falcons try outs, other good young players from the cobden area are rohan couch,tim horan and ricky sullivan....good 2 watch

Dream Boat said:
any one elses predictions.....

maskell medal
1. L .nicalus - wbool
2. S. okeefe - koriot
3. B mccosh - port

1.simon okeefe (koroit)
2.ben harris (camperdown
3.Liam.Ryan (north w'bool)
4.damian.o'connor (terang)
5.josh. walters (port fairy)
:thumbsu:

Hey fellas, just wondering if anyone can give me a bit of insight in to a couple of players, both guys from South Warnambool in the past.
They are playing with us down at Sunshine and go very well.
Russell Douglas who played there last year and Stenhouse who played juniors there but came to us from the SANFL, have fitted in well down here and wanted to know how they went up there at South.
Cheers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hampden Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Back