Remove this Banner Ad

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
What does this mean???? Does it give people a license to bag who ever they want and not look bad as long as they end their opinion with " Happy to be proven wrong", so down the track when player X actually does start to achieve the things the club believe they can you don't look the fool. Is that the case????... if not than I'm "happy to be proven wrong"

What does this mean???? Does it give people a license to bag who ever they want and not look bad as long as they end their opinion with " Happy to be proven wrong", so down the track when player X actually does start to achieve the things the club believe they can you don't look the fool. Is that the case????... if not than I'm "happy to be proven wrong"

not much to do 2night yeah lol

I'm guessing you started this thread because I just used it, and got praised for using it?

I used it to say I hope Jake King really does become that back pocket we desperately need, even though I don't think he will. Nothing wrong with that, IMO. It's not covering my arse at all.

If you don't rate a player then you can say what you like. If it's a Richmond player of course you want to be proven wrong because we will have another good player on our list :cool:

I'd say it's something to do with some people wanting the team to do well for one reason or another, something which generally happens when the players also do well.

I'm guessing you started this thread because I just used it, and got praised for using it?

Sought of. Just sick of people bagging out players that are far from reaching their physical development.

Kelvin Moore should be a lesson for everyone.

Jackson is a player who only started playing AFL late into his teens and was a project player from the start. He is still 22 and has had a great preseason and there is no reason why he cant be a valuable player.

Every real supporter should be happy to be proven wrong about a player they don't rate on their team's list , because it's good result for their club if they defy their predictions and become good/better...simple really...unless of course you're the likes of deliberate!! CoggaRules or "The Snag" and are far more concerned with boosting your own ego and looking like an "expert" on an internet forum than your own club's success and therefore deathride players you don't rate...(pretty much proven when you go out of your way to deconstruct their best games by saying things like "yeah but he was bludging whenever the ball was 50 meters away" or "What would Walls know, he only watches the monitors" , pointing out the one time when they got caught holding the ball in the game and even try to say the winning the goal they ran 40 metres to set up for Bowden with a good kick on the end of it was only due to "all the hard work of Edwards") but then again we can't all be "really awesome at photoshop" (just like millions of people over the age of 10 are these days) or try to be "down with the kids" by constantly using teenybopper/myspace netspeak like LMAO, NFI & ROFL....:eek:

So in closing, good luck to Jackson , King , Schulz , Johnson and Bowden for '09 and I hope they all do well...but as of right now I think they're all crap...of course I'm happy to be proven wrong...:thumbsu:

Every real supporter should be happy to be proven wrong about a player they don't rate on their team's list , because it's good result for their club if they defy their predictions and become good/better...simple really...unless of course you're the likes of deliberate!! CoggaRules or "The Snag" and are far more concerned with boosting your own ego and looking like an "expert" on an internet forum than your own club's success and therefore deathride players you don't rate...(pretty much proven when you go out of your way to deconstruct their best games by saying things like "yeah but he was bludging whenever the ball was 50 meters away" or "What would Walls know, he only watches the monitors" , pointing out the one time when they got caught holding the ball in the game and even try to say the winning the goal they ran 40 metres to set up for Bowden with a good kick on the end of it was only due to "all the hard work of Edwards") but then again we can't all be "really awesome at photoshop" (just like millions of people over the age of 10 are these days) or try to be "down with the kids" by constantly using teenybopper/myspace netspeak like LMAO, NFI & ROFL....:eek:

So in closing, good luck to Jackson , King , Schulz , Johnson and Bowden for '09 and I hope they all do well...but as of right now I think they're all crap...of course I'm happy to be proven wrong...:thumbsu:

Bagging Bowden and the johnsons is fine by me... it's the youngsters that dont deserve the criticism early in their careers.

Bagging Bowden and the johnsons is fine by me... it's the youngsters that dont deserve the criticism early in their careers.

...and I tend not to bag players until they turn 22 and think a club should give them every chance until at least then, which is why I don't join the chorus against the likes of JON , but Jackson will be 23 , Schulz will be 24 and both will have been on our list for 6 & 7 seasons respectively and King who will be 25 by round 1, while hardly a seasoned veteran, is not really someone I classify as a "youngster"..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gee whiz, think you're being a little tough on these 3 in particular, especially sugar who was captain and had a decent season in 08 and bowdo who's had a great career.

Jacko has shown glimpses as well and I think can be a good contributer. Schulz i agree with you though, has been given so many chances and I would have delisted him a couple of years back..... happy to be proven wrong though.

I think its posters trying to show they don't have a personal vendetta against the player they are criticising.

A little word association for you.....what player comes to mind?

oxx
deliberate
The Snag
Wally

See what I mean :p Not saying who is right or wrong, but that's the perception out there in Richmond BF world. Personally I reckon its a bit of a cop-out, if you think a player is crap then fair enough, as long as you cop it sweet if they come good.

I think its posters trying to show they don't have a personal vendetta against the player they are criticising.

A little word association for you.....what player comes to mind?

oxx
deliberate
The Snag
Wally

See what I mean :p Not saying who is right or wrong, but that's the perception out there in Richmond BF world. Personally I reckon its a bit of a cop-out, if you think a player is crap then fair enough, as long as you cop it sweet if they come good.

right now there is one that stands out a mile, Petts. I will stand by that until the cows come home. He has pulled the wool over the supporters eyes for the last 4 years.
Apart from him, at this point in time, like right now, at this moment, with what we know and have seen up until now.
If JON, Bling, King, Patto, Jacko and Cleve, dont get their act together and produce what the brains trust must see in them, or profess to see in them, then they will be piled into the "is crap" dept.
We are looking not to bad though, because IMO there is only one file that has been stamped, and 5 that are still on the to do list. Whereas previous to the last year or so, we had a plethora of players who were playing regular senior footy, who were the luckiest footballers to ever attain an afl career. i.e. they were lucky the tigers recruited them, because anywhere else and they were toast.
There only defence was and it was used quite a bit here on BF, that there was no one else to take their spots. ;)

gee whiz, think you're being a little tough on these 3 in particular, especially sugar who was captain and had a decent season in 08 and bowdo who's had a great career.

Jacko has shown glimpses as well and I think can be a good contributer. Schulz i agree with you though, has been given so many chances and I would have delisted him a couple of years back..... happy to be proven wrong though.

SIMPLY not enough to be showing glimpses by ages 23 and 24. Some guys are out and out stars, or at the least solid 20-22 game contributors.
At Tigerland, we tend to hang out waiting and waiting for the turnaround!
Others are not so patient.
Does it work to our benefit ... our ladder finishes the past 20 odd years would suggest not!

We are looking not to bad though, because IMO there is only one file that has been stamped, and 5 that are still on the to do list. Whereas previous to the last year or so, we had a plethora of players who were playing regular senior footy, who were the luckiest footballers to ever attain an afl career. i.e. they were lucky the tigers recruited them, because anywhere else and they were toast.
There only defence was and it was used quite a bit here on BF, that there was no one else to take their spots.

agreed on Petts file being 'stamped.' There is no way back for him. The other questionables on your list probably have this season to really make a go of it, and I'd add Polo to that list as well. Good thing is we have a bit of competition on the list between younger players, who are of good quality or have potential, that will see those who aren't up to it weeded out as opposed to them stringing a couple of good games together and getting a contract top-up.

So blokes like King, JON, Jackson, Polo,Hughes etc will have to pull their finger out or end up on the scrap heap. When Lids, Bling and co first came on the scene we didn't have that competition.

agreed on Petts file being 'stamped.' There is no way back for him. The other questionables on your list probably have this season to really make a go of it, and I'd add Polo to that list as well. Good thing is we have a bit of competition on the list between younger players, who are of good quality or have potential, that will see those who aren't up to it weeded out as opposed to them stringing a couple of good games together and getting a contract top-up.

So blokes like King, JON, Jackson, Polo,Hughes etc will have to pull their finger out or end up on the scrap heap. When Lids, Bling and co first came on the scene we didn't have that competition.

naaa, beg to differ on Polo dude.
He has shown us the goods, the others have to show us the goods.
I am not talking about attitude here, i am purely talking about can do stuff on the footy field.
Attitude is quite fixable and can be dealt with swiftly, with the rewards for fixing it being great.
Skill and smarts are quite difficult and time consuming to fix, if indeed you fix them. It usually ends up with players extending their career for 6, 7 years, that shouldnt have made it passed year 3. It comes with the territory of being a club that has been in the position we have been in, over the last decade or so. If we had been succesful and mixing it with the top sides, i can bet my bottom dollar the turnover of "maybes", would have been immeasurably more, and quite a deal swifter.
The jury is out on the rest for me, but its steadily re-convening. It will bring down its verdict throughout this ensuing year. ;)

I don't disagree Cogga. Polo has the talent and has shown he can produce, but seemed to me last season that Tezza preferred a big, strong, quick player like Jackson as opposed to Polo who has the smarts, but maybe not the other physical attributes. I still reckon he hasn't quite won Tezza over yet, and that's just at the selection table, not all the other stuff you hear about. Obviously they desperately want Jacko to develop those smarts, but as you suggest, its a bloody hard thing to do.

I don't disagree Cogga. Polo has the talent and has shown he can produce, but seemed to me last season that Tezza preferred a big, strong, quick player like Jackson as opposed to Polo who has the smarts, but maybe not the other physical attributes. I still reckon he hasn't quite won Tezza over yet, and that's just at the selection table, not all the other stuff you hear about. Obviously they desperately want Jacko to develop those smarts, but as you suggest, its a bloody hard thing to do.

All will be revealed in 2009 dude. Thought he was struggling with injury last year, ontop of the good 'ol second year blues, which is exacerbated when a youngster comes in and pretty much hits the headlines from game 1. Seen to many smart plays from Polo, to suggest he isnt on TW's, have to get him involved list. IMO if Jacko can come to the party, and Polo can deliver what he has shown us before and pretty much when he got a game last season too, there is room for both in the side. ;)

I think most would agree that Polo has more talent than Jackson and is a more natural footballer, but the days of relying just on talent and skills are long gone. You have to be super fit, dedicated and have that burning desire to make it. Jackson and King posses this and is the reason why they kept a spot on the list a head of a player like Meyer who was the natural football player.
I think the club is on the right track and is rewarding the " right culture " and thus rewarding the efforts of Jackson and King on the track and forcing the more talented players to realise if they want an AFL career they have to pull thier finger out.

The end result is that these talented players over take the Kings and Jacksons on the track and the club ends up with the " elite type" of players that are required to win flags.

SIMPLY not enough to be showing glimpses by ages 23 and 24. Some guys are out and out stars, or at the least solid 20-22 game contributors.
At Tigerland, we tend to hang out waiting and waiting for the turnaround!
Others are not so patient.
Does it work to our benefit ... our ladder finishes the past 20 odd years would suggest not!

Spot on Goldy:thumbsu:

Just look at Ben Holland! he was crap as a youngster and because his brother was lets say half decent footballer,we waited for him to come good,..... wow Ben had 1 good year playing down back picking up probably the 3rd or 4th best forward and then holds us too ransom for money:thumbsdown:.... worth the wait.... i think not:mad:

I think most would agree that Polo has more talent than Jackson and is a more natural footballer, but the days of relying just on talent and skills are long gone. You have to be super fit, dedicated and have that burning desire to make it. Jackson and King posses this and is the reason why they kept a spot on the list a head of a player like Meyer who was the natural football player.
I think the club is on the right track and is rewarding the " right culture " and thus rewarding the efforts of Jackson and King on the track and forcing the more talented players to realise if they want an AFL career they have to pull thier finger out.

The end result is that these talented players over take the Kings and Jacksons on the track and the club ends up with the " elite type" of players that are required to win flags.

Also don't disagree on that one nut. Good post. Talent alone gets you nowhere. I don't personally know Polo, nor am I close to anyone at the club so I am unaware of his approach to his footy. I actually have a lot of time for Jacko, I have been watching a few of last years games again and he really does have something to offer imo. Its obvious he has worked hard on his game.

Spot on Goldy:thumbsu:

Just look at Ben Holland! he was crap as a youngster and because his brother was lets say half decent footballer,we waited for him to come good,..... wow Ben had 1 good year playing down back picking up probably the 3rd or 4th best forward and then holds us too ransom for money:thumbsdown:.... worth the wait.... i think not:mad:

I'll see your Ben Holland and raise you Kelvin Moore, Pridis, Kirk.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to be proven wrong....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back