win1soon

Club Legend
Jul 9, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Man u
ON SATURDAY night, Damien Hardwick salted the wound of Port Adelaide's plainly wrong decision to reappoint Mark Williams last year only to have to sack him last Friday.
In lifting the born-again Tigers to a fifth win in six matches, Hardwick reinforced the error of Port Adelaide's decision last year.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ub-salt-into-ports-wounds-20100711-105n6.html

Thank god we got hardwick

Hopefully this will go down as the moment a premiership side was born.

Poetically, the Tigers' first win of the year was over Port Adelaide and it was that victory - followed by a furiously joyous, sweaty, drink-soaked, screaming rendition of the best song in football, that will live as strongly as an image of this season as any other - that almost signed Williams' papers at Port.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...711-105n6.html

I don't think that any Port supporters would deny that we made a massive mistake last year. Many of us had been calling for Hardwick to coach us well before the board made their disastrous decision to reappoint Williams.

All I can say, is well done Richmond. You guys are definitely my second favourite side at the moment and I have actually enjoyed watching your games much more than ours.

Full marks to Dimma and Ladey and co.

I'm also thrilled to see Mitch Farmer get a decent run and make a good fist of it.

They did yes. A few sides over looked Hardwick. However Essendon being the biggest hacks in regards to this
I dunno, the hackiness is hard to judge. Essendon at least made the finals last year as opposed to Port who have sacked their coach less than 12 months after re-appointing him for 2 years and overlooked Hardwick in the process (even then they didn't want him to be senior coach and were wanting him to be assistant for a year or 2 and take over Williams like Bucks will with Malthouse).

So Essendon with minor success (only to know look like going major ways backwards) vs Port with zero success (over the last few years at least) and having the best chance at a more mature Hardwick.

I think where Essendon went wrong was not listening to Hardwick's overview of where the Bombers were at and going with the softer view that Knights had.

I agree with HBK, our **** up was bigger than Essendon's. Essendon made the wrong choice from two unproven candidates. Port picked a proven failure over an unproven candidate.

Easy now, Williams won a premiership and two minor premierships in a row. You can hardly call him a failure. Just ask the Doggies how hard it is to win a flag! Things haven't gone the way he planned and his time was up but you could never call him a proven failure.

Just my 2c worth....

Cheers PJ. Mitch Farmer is looking better every week. Think he had 25 touches on the weekend and was taking the game on. Weird that Williams didn't give him a few more games.
With Surjan and Stewart locked into the small back roles there wasn't a chance for Farmer to make the position his. Would have been in and out of the side, so I doubt he would have reached his potential if he stayed at Port.

Mitch was almost off to Hawthorn. They were very keen on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

while i think hardwick has got most things right isnt it just a bit premature to be rating him a success.
i ask myself what any other coach would have done in hardwicks stead, and i have to say very little different.
sheesh many of us nuffa supporters have been screaming for a proper clean out better kicks not to many at one time in the team, bigger bodies more height which leads to better structure and an ability to compete and an emphasis on defense and one percenters.

sheesh hes done the bleeding obvious. i suppose hes to be congratulated in the fact hes done the obvious. made few mistakes and stuck to his guns i like most like him and think not just him but they the footy dept are on the right track.
ive always stated the first 12 months for whatever coach we got it was going to be easy when compared to whet went before, after all they could not do any worse than wallace and had a license to play as much youth as possible. who ever took over was in a win win situation regardless of results.

to me the real test for hardwick is to come. we will see how well he and the club handle it.
i hope they do well and can build on what really had to be done hard decisions are approaching will they do a wallace and shy away from them or bite the bullet and do what still has to be done.

while i think hardwick has got most things right isnt it just a bit premature to be rating him a success.
i ask myself what any other coach would have done in hardwicks stead, and i have to say very little different.
sheesh many of us nuffa supporters have been screaming for a proper clean out better kicks not to many at one time in the team, bigger bodies more height which leads to better structure and an ability to compete and an emphasis on defense and one percenters.

sheesh hes done the bleeding obvious. i suppose hes to be congratulated in the fact hes done the obvious. made few mistakes and stuck to his guns i like most like him and think not just him but they the footy dept are on the right track.
ive always stated the first 12 months for whatever coach we got it was going to be easy when compared to whet went before, after all they could not do any worse than wallace and had a license to play as much youth as possible. who ever took over was in a win win situation regardless of results.

to me the real test for hardwick is to come. we will see how well he and the club handle it.
i hope they do well and can build on what really had to be done hard decisions are approaching will they do a wallace and shy away from them or bite the bullet and do what still has to be done.

Santa, the destination will be that much less enjoyable if you don't embrace the journey. :(

I've been to every Melbourne game this year bar one, and the only difference between the games we lose and the games we win for me, is the singing of the song. To be honest, my mood for the next week after each game has hardly differed (since about round 3 anyway). This is different to any other season I can *ever* remember.

The reason... we are actually playing a good brand of football. We are not fluking results. We are not competitive through desire alone. Yes we are still making mistakes. Yes we need to turn over a number of players come year's end. But the way our players now know each other's games, and play for each other, is unseen at Punt Rd since the early 80s. And it is becoming more and more obvious that this is list wide, not just true for 12-18 players. Cuz and Tambling drop out, Webberley and Nahas slot right in as if nothing has changed. They just step in and play the same roles as if they have been programmed to do so.

Hell, the last few weeks suggest we're even seeing this same aura creep into the Coburg Tigers.

Of course the destination is not guaranteed, but to not have enjoyed the journey to this point would be just depriving yourself. :thumbsu:

Santa, the destination will be that much less enjoyable if you don't embrace the journey. :(

I've been to every Melbourne game this year bar one, and the only difference between the games we lose and the games we win for me, is the singing of the song. To be honest, my mood for the next week after each game has hardly differed (since about round 3 anyway). This is different to any other season I can *ever* remember.

The reason... we are actually playing a good brand of football. We are not fluking results. We are not competitive through desire alone. Yes we are still making mistakes. Yes we need to turn over a number of players come year's end. But the way our players now know each other's games, and play for each other, is unseen at Punt Rd since the early 80s. And it is becoming more and more obvious that this is list wide, not just true for 12-18 players. Cuz and Tambling drop out, Webberley and Nahas slot right in as if nothing has changed. They just step in and play the same roles as if they have been programmed to do so.

Hell, the last few weeks suggest we're even seeing this same aura creep into the Coburg Tigers.

Of course the destination is not guaranteed, but to not have enjoyed the journey to this point would be just depriving yourself. :thumbsu:

mate ive enjoyed the journey well many aspects of it. my fear is we stop the journey half way thinking we have done enough. how many times ive seen this in the last 30 yrs is mind blowing. i sing the song just as loud as the next bloke but im sick and tired of us doing half a job all the time.

as i have said on other threads for awhile now we are on the right path but we are at the start of our journey with so much still to do to get to the destination we want. i refuse to lose sight of that.

Well the good thing is that Hardwick himself has said that there will be another cleanout at the end of this year, with up to another 8 players being moved on. The shallow draft may mean a guy like King can play on for the time being.

That's the fear, hopefully this isn't a belated honeymoon period and we don't end up with the situation that Matthew Knights is in currently.

:D

I hope not,not a good feeling that only to have a Geelong or some one crush your hopes and dreams for the season.But other than that im really happy for you guys anywayz good luck for the rest of the season and beyond.

mate ive enjoyed the journey well many aspects of it. my fear is we stop the journey half way thinking we have done enough. how many times ive seen this in the last 30 yrs is mind blowing. i sing the song just as loud as the next bloke but im sick and tired of us doing half a job all the time.

as i have said on other threads for awhile now we are on the right path but we are at the start of our journey with so much still to do to get to the destination we want. i refuse to lose sight of that.

Glad to hear, I guess it's probly a shame that it's darker side of you that is about all we see on here :p

We all (or most of us) have one eye on the end of year, and what will become of the trade/draft period, and come the time our hearts may be in our mouths.

But for now, we have little to no control over such things, so I for one am happy to make the most of what was meant to be a pretty dull year. Luckily for me I've seen how tanking is not required for success, so I don't have have that weight on my shoulders about what number draft pick we will have access to :)

Probably worded that a bit too harshly. His career as a whole wasn't a failure, but his last few years certainly were. His coaching in '09-'10 especially made Wallace look good.
I'd throw in 08 as well. When we scored that narrow win over Port in 08 he declared season over at what rd 11 or 12? WTF? And then last year when Port beat us narrowly and Nahas booted 5 goals he admitted he was clueless as to who Nahas even was. In my opinion those two incidents exposed Williams as being disrespectful of Richmond and also somewhat arrogant and unprofessional

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hardwick's Tigers rub salt into Port's wounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back