Rules Harry McKay concussion loophole/issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently competing is illegal now.

Tell you what if TDK had the attitude some of these Carlton posters have he wouldn't have come on and helped his side win the game in the third quarter.
They are a funny lot. I like Tom though. I just hope his mum, or whoever 'the De Konning camp' are, can forgive Carlton for what they put him through.

Hmm at first I thought he was just knocked and lost equilibrium (I was at the ground not watching on TV)

Watching it back, he should’ve been taken from the ground

Few solutions:
  • The umpires should have power to send a player off if they believe they’re a danger to themselves
  • Clubs should have trainers sent for a “concussive symptom assessment course” (this doesn’t exist, but should) and acquire accreditation (so that the trainers can make these calls and the clubs can’t escape reprimand should protocols not be adhered to)
  • AFL should have a 3rd party doctor (I.e. impartial to both parties and operating in the interest of the PLAYER and the GOVERNING BODY) who can stop play at his/her discretion for incidents like this/Petracca’s

Seems like a pretty poor loophole to leave exposed, I realise our doctor was downstairs but this can’t happen again

I also realise he passed HIA but the optics are extremely poor and he was a danger to himself for a minute there

I think we all get that this is what SHOULD'VE happened. The question marks are on what the AFL's protocols are (I'm assuming the AFL set these guidelines and don't leave it up to each club, as they'd want it clear and consistent).
Does the vision need to be reviewed by a club doc? Are they the only one who can make the call? Is there a grey area, or confusion or concern about someone less qualified making that call? Is there a chain of command of the club docs are otherwise occupied?
The AFL apparently has spotters in the ARC, so it seems unlikely the blues bench didn’t know.

The AFL apparently has spotters in the ARC, so it seems unlikely the blues bench didn’t know.
I don't think anyone has claimed that the Blues' bench didn't know. They have eyes. It was obvious. The questions are about what the protocols are and whose role it is to action and if there's a chain of command if/when a doc isn't available.
It's kind of pointless having a 'spotter' if all they do is inform the team doctors and those doctors are otherwise occupied.
The spotter needs to be able to stop play and take action, otherwise, they're just a pair of eyes and we are still at square one.

I don't think anyone has claimed that the Blues' bench didn't know. They have eyes. It was obvious. The questions are about what the protocols are and whose role it is to action and if there's a chain of command if/when a doc isn't available.
It's kind of pointless having a 'spotter' if all they do is inform the team doctors and those doctors are otherwise occupied.
The spotter needs to be able to stop play and take action, otherwise, they're just a pair of eyes and we are still at square one.
It’s a hard one, because afaik the spotter isn’t a doctor. The relevance of the spotter is that the Blues bench would’ve known almost immediately, and surely they have more than one person capable of calling a player off for an HIA. If not, then that certainly needs to change - for all clubs.

There is the easiest solution then. The ARC then tells the umpire to stop play and force the player off for the Doctor to do the HIA (or whatever it is). If there is an issue with Doctor numbers, then maybe the AFL could just have a rotation of local Dr's at each game that are not team aligned that can aid in these duties.

On the AFL memo regarding Harry McKay's HIA test:

"We were asked to put a series of events together in the way we saw it. We were able to do that and they were comfortable with where that lies, so we move on. We’re comfortable we followed the protocols that we needed to.

"Our main priority is the health of the player in any circumstance, that’s the priority over anything. That remains our medical team's priority as well.

"Harry’s been good. That doesn’t mean the process shouldn’t be run, but he was good fairly early, so we were confident he’d find his way back in. We always wait 24 hours to find out where that lies, to make sure he’s passed all the tests."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we need a triage nurse who can identify that Sam Durdin's hamstrings aren't as important as Harry McKay's brain.
I'm surprised it was only a reprimand (inb4 Vic bias), even given the extenuating circumstances and the AFL's acceptance of our explanation.
Fines send a much stronger message to the comp that it needs to be taken seriously.

Moving forward, I agree with the poster earlier who said that the ARC spotter simply needs to tell the umps to pause the game when a potential concussion is spotted. Get the player off the ground ASAP and then it's up to the team benches to take it from there. We don't need players, who are potentially impaired, waving off medical staff and telling them they're fine, while play continues around them.
The medical spotter should be looking at anything that could require a pause in play. Blood, concussion, serious injuries where a player is down and can't leave the ground. It's not that hard to get right.

lol Brisbane fined 40k for their Andrews treatment but Carlton, nothing to see here.

Laughable.

Had the same reasons and outcome as the blues, ie the doctors were busy with other players + neither player was concussed.

Lions fined. Blues reprimand. Make it make sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rules Harry McKay concussion loophole/issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back