Harry Taylor vs Josh Gibson

Who has been the better player?

• Taylor

Votes: 83 83.0%
  • Gibson

Votes: 17 17.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I initially voted Taylor as I think he's a better key defender but changed it to Gibbo when I reread the question and remembered that I barrack for Hawthorn. As a player, it's hard to go past a guy who's won 2 B&Fs both in Premiership years. I still rate Taylor very highly though.

Comparing either to Mackie is ridiculous, both are far better players.
Fixed your post.

Gibson is a great defender but he definitely has been advantaged by the Hawthorn defensive system. In a vacuum Taylor is a better player and has had a just as good, if not better, career.

Not similar enough. Gibson is a 2nd/3rd defender. Taylor is a 1st/2nd defender. Gibson is better at coming off his man and becoming an extra man in the contest. Taylor is better on the big bodied KPF's.

Pretty tight but I went with Gibson because he simply plays for Hawthorn. Yes, I'm very much bias.
If I hadn't already voted i wouldn't vote at all because it isn't a great comparison.

I think its a stupid Poll, as they are totally different players.

Taylor is Probably the top 1 or 2 pure KPF over 6 seasons, Gibson, in his role is the best in the AFL.

Taylor is a better KPF and will hold a bigger forward better than Gibson will, however Gibson has his advantages.

I'm gonna vote Taylor. Big fan, but some of the crap Gibson gets is ludicrous. He is a sensational player.

Taylor is Probably the top 1 or 2 pure KPF over 6 seasons, Gibson, in his role is the best in the AFL.

Taylor is a better KPF and will hold a bigger forward better than Gibson will, however Gibson has his advantages.

I'm gonna vote Taylor. Big fan, but some of the crap Gibson gets is ludicrous. He is a sensational player.

Totally agree. Gibbo has won 2 b and Fs in flag years- unbelievable effort.
I love Harry and he has played some great games for us, but hasn't done a lot the last two years; something that has been somewhat swept under the rug given his consistency before this time.
Very different players.

Agreed.

Anyone would take Taylor over Gibson if you wanted one in your team who is able to lock down and move forward, but Gibson plays his role that he's given that suit his style of play perfectly. If you were going to compare a Hawthorn player with Taylor, it's Roughead. That is by far the best comparison as both are of similar age, size, and versatility.

I am a massive Harry Taylor fan, so I have no hesitation in voting for him for this poll even if it is fairly odd comparison.

Not similar enough. Gibson is a 2nd/3rd defender. Taylor is a 1st/2nd defender. Gibson is better at coming off his man and becoming an extra man in the contest. Taylor is better on the big bodied KPF's.

Pretty tight but I went with Gibson because he simply plays for Hawthorn. Yes, I'm very much bias.
If I hadn't already voted i wouldn't vote at all because it isn't a great comparison.

If Taylor played Gibsons role he'd be even better again.

If Taylor played Gibsons role he'd be even better again.
hmmmmm no. you have absolutely nothing to back up this claim either. he has played as the floating back men at times but never to the quality of gibson.

this is one of your worst calls.

hmmmmm no. you have absolutely nothing to back up this claim either. he has played as the floating back men at times but never to the quality of gibson.

this is one of your worst calls.

Your not serious are you? The fact Harry is a far better mark makes him a superior third tall option.

:confused:o_O
being better in one point of the game makes you superior in a position.

If thats how it works than Carey might have had a point when he was talking down Mitchell.
#logic :cool:

Let's not be stupid Taylor is also A Grade defensively along with the added ability to take a high ball. Gibson has become a third tall as he cant go with the big key forwards regularly.

Gibson has played nearly his entire time at Hawthorn as the No.1/2 KPD playing on and beating the main opposition KPF all the while having the balls to leave his own man and chop out 3rd man up for his team mates and creating plenty of drive and rebound with great skill.

Easier to re-quote myself than re-type it all.

Don't be fooled in to thinking he's played the 3rd tall (maybe half a dozen times since he's been a Hawk) when in fact he's just been good enough to play on and beat the KPF all the while still spoiling and providing coverage for his other defenders.

Let's not be stupid Taylor is also A Grade defensively along with the added ability to take a high ball. Gibson has become a third tall as he cant go with the big key forwards regularly.

your useing fools logic, come on your better then that.

just becuse one player plays a position quite frankly more important then the others best position will never translate into that play being better at the others position.

in a weaker team gibson would be playing full back it is a luxury to have him in his current role. I fell the same way when people use scarletts stint as 3rd tall to degrade his brand.

There are many better arguments to clutch to in the taylor is better then gibson battle. for example would be picked first if building a team from scratch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

your useing fools logic, come on your better then that.

just becuse one player plays a position quite frankly more important then the others best position will never translate into that play being better at the others position.

in a weaker team gibson would be playing full back it is a luxury to have him in his current role. I fell the same way when people use scarletts stint as 3rd tall to degrade his brand.

There are many better arguments to clutch to in the taylor is better then gibson battle. for example would be picked first if building a team from scratch.

That's incorrect. It's like trying to say Nick Riewoldt wouldn't be a better half forward flank than Gunston. Taylor is so good because he plays key back while still peeling off to spoil and pick off marks.

That's incorrect. It's like trying to say Nick Riewoldt wouldn't be a better half forward flank than Gunston. Taylor is so good because he plays key back while still peeling off to spoil and pick off marks.
More like saying Fyfe would be a better key forward than Franklin because Fyfe is a better mark.

Nothing like that.
Yes it is. Taylor may be brilliant in a 1 on 1 situation and at marking but there is nothing to suggest he would have anywhere near the game sense and reading of the play Gibson has.

Yes it is. Taylor may be brilliant in a 1 on 1 situation and at marking but there is nothing to suggest he would have anywhere near the game sense and reading of the play Gibson has.

Other than watching Taylor play for the last 6 years. Taylor is brilliant at peeling off and taking big contested marks.

Gibson hits a ridiculous amount of contests and his judgment to hit a pack and effectively influence it from any position is his best trait. we call him a great spoiler but it's more so his kamikaze attack on the footy that creates those opportunities to spoil in the first place.

There is a reason Gibson in the backline and Rioli in the forward half are consistently coming top 2 in hawthorn's best and fairest, they make the players around them better.

Frawley is a decent one on one defender but if it wasn't for his limitations Gibson would still be preferred to play on most number one forwards, excluding the gorilla few.

Because Riewoldt is much much better than Gunston and everyone knows that. However this is not the case with Gibson and Taylor

Harry Taylor hasn't been the player he once was. Gibson is still more or less at the peak of his powers.

I rate Taylor but I have to say, peeling off and taking uncontested intercept marks is a relatively easy part of our game. He's not a backman who has been renowned for being able to lock down on a player, which is why Tom Lonergan was moved down there. In the 2011 Grand Final Taylor was getting caned by Travis Cloke so Lonergan had to be moved onto him. So while Taylor is a good defender, he has some obvious weaknesses but fortunately has been in a good team and able to play to his strengths as a result.

Yes but Taylor is better than Gibson.
only as a FB playing on the gorillas, any mobile kpf it is very debatable. And as a third tall/ rebounding defender gibson takes the cake by a mile.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

only as a FB playing on the gorillas, any mobile kpf it is very debatable. And as a third tall/ rebounding defender gibson takes the cake by a mile.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Bullcrap and a pile of it. Taylor is better in every aspect it's not his fault he can beat the gun key forwards and doesn't get the luxary each week as the third tall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry Taylor vs Josh Gibson

Back