Player Watch Harvey Harrison

Remove this Banner Ad

What does he lack?
Apart from size he’s got it all. Especially elite speed, decision making and footy IQ.
He will be as good as Sidebottom.
He isnt a ball magnet, or at least not yet...

Of his 30 VFL games he has managed to get over 20 possessions precisely 3 times. If you are advocating for him to replace Sidey then you are advocating him to play midfield/wing, and midfield is to a large extent a numbers game, and so far Harvey hasnt got the numbers

Of his 30 VFL games he has managed to get over 20 possessions precisely 3 times. If you are advocating for him to replace Sidey then you are advocating him to play midfield/wing, and midfield is to a large extent a numbers game, and so far Harvey hasnt got the numbers
Hasn’t his AFL form eclipsed his VFL form.
Why else are we being so positive about him?

His possession numbers reflect where he has played so far - as a small forward.
Given that, the numbers are pretty good, and what he's done with them likewise.
That tap on against Carlton doesn't count as a possession.

In the year Sidebottom turned 21 (HH turns 21 in November) he averaged 26.5 disposals a game. The year prior he'd averaged 20 and a goal a game.
Yes - and I should have qualified by saying the same stage of career- Sidey had played a far greater number of games by the same age. He wasn’t competing for games with the quality of team mates that HH has been measured against.

Yes - and I should have qualified by saying the same stage of career- Sidey had played a far greater number of games by the same age. He wasn’t competing for games with the quality of team mates that HH has been measured against.
We were as good then as we are now - Sidey's second year was a premiership year.

Just stop digging Spinny - we'd all love for Harrison to have a career like Sidey, but you're underestimating just how good Sidey's career has been - it's pretty unlikely that Harrison gets near: All Australian, runner up in a brownlow, a couple of b n fs, over 300 games. Sidebottom is a Collingwood great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As fly says in the modern way footy is played possession stats are less relevant than ever

HH has a lot of the key Fly ingredients in his arsenal

We were as good then as we are now - Sidey's second year was a premiership year.

Just stop digging Spinny - we'd all love for Harrison to have a career like Sidey, but you're underestimating just how good Sidey's career has been - it's pretty unlikely that Harrison gets near: All Australian, runner up in a brownlow, a couple of b n fs, over 300 games. Sidebottom is a Collingwood great.
Ok - let’s see how HH compares to Sidey in stats after 30 games.
I think you guys are underestimating how good this kid is.
I posted after his first game that he was going to be a very good pickup.
He’s now proven he has very elite attributes including Footy IQ, decision making, clean quick hands, and elite speed.
Don’t write him off as an elite player in the Sidey mould.

Ok - let’s see how HH compares to Sidey in stats after 30 games.
I think you guys are underestimating how good this kid is.
I posted after his first game that he was going to be a very good pickup.
He’s now proven he has very elite attributes including Footy IQ, decision making, clean quick hands, and elite speed.
Don’t write him off as an elite player in the Sidey mould.
HH looks like he will be a decent player. Comparing him to Steele is a few steps beyond that. HH is in his third season at the club for 9 games. At the same time in his career, Steele had played almost 50 including a flag.

HH looks like he will be a decent player. Comparing him to Steele is a few steps beyond that. HH is in his third season at the club for 9 games. At the same time in his career, Steele had played almost 50 including a flag.
Has HH got any deficiency in relation to Sidey that will hold him back in playing Sidey role at the same level?
I don’t think so - and he has the added benefit of elite speed.
I have no issue is saying he’ll be a gun - and I generally tend to be circumspect/ conservative in assessing kids.

Has HH got any deficiency in relation to Sidey that will hold him back in playing Sidey role at the same level?
I don’t think so - and he has the added benefit of elite speed.
I have no issue is saying he’ll be a gun - and I generally tend to be circumspect/ conservative in assessing kids.
Geez mate, we are all hoping HH is going to be a gun. But he is nowhere near what Steele had produced at the same stage of their respective careers. That Steele went on to get to 300+ games is setting the bar a bit high for HH.

Yes, he averages 13.5 disposals per game in the VFL, that is 10 less disposals per game than Sidey has averaged over his career in the AFL

Yes I know Flys game plan is about efficiency, but to match Sideys efficiency and creativity of disposals with 10 less disposals per game, the quality of his disposal would have to be in GOAT territory..

All this is not to say i dont like HH and havent been impressed with his impactfulness. But if you want him as good as Sidey, he simply has to find the footy more than he currently does...

It is a flawed "point". Both Steele and HH arrived at the club when the club performed similarly over their early years. Steele forced his way into the side in his first season and never looked back. HH did not.
Not a flawed point at all - unless you think experience built of over a comparable number of games is irrelevant.
HH has all the skill of Sidey with the added advantage of speed. Supporters are rightly effusive about his prospects but more so in my case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Harvey Harrison

Remove this Banner Ad

Back