Has Rayner EVER been dropped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rayner's improvement has come I think due to our forward line structure being shuffled slightly.

Since we have added Morris, we now have a more genuine third tall that means Rayner doesn't have to play deep really at all. We then have added Ah Chee, who can play as that mid sized defensive forward that is strong overhead and can cover a medium intercepting player (think Vlastuin) in check. Finally we have added Lohmann who has built his game on pure ground level defensive intensity. This has left Rayner completely free to roam from FF to Midfield as he sees he can impact, knowing he's got a structure around him that will cover his offensive gameplay. Couple that with his tackle breaking ability from congestion and he is opening the game up for us in the forward half.

I think Rayner is playing more of the McCarthy role from previous years, but is having a bigger effect from congestion due to his much bigger size.

That's a good comparison for part of the picture. The difference I see is when he's up the ground, he plays that ball winning HFF/mid role. When he goes forward, he's basically got the strength and marking ability to play as a key forward. If the other keys are already there or there's a stoppage, he reverts back to that powerful ball winning forward/mid.

It's seldom the case a player has the attributes to do all of the HFF/CHF/FF stuff Cam does. If he can keep this run of form going, it'll go a long way to helping us make the GF.

That's a good comparison for part of the picture. The difference I see is when he's up the ground, he plays that ball winning HFF/mid role. When he goes forward, he's basically got the strength and marking ability to play as a key forward. If the other keys are already there or there's a stoppage, he reverts back to that powerful ball winning forward/mid.

It's seldom the case a player has the attributes to do all of the HFF/CHF/FF stuff Cam does. If he can keep this run of form going, it'll go a long way to helping us make the GF.

Win the GF.

There's a bit of me going "why hasn't Rayner done this before? Why has his role changed?" And the only thing from our team last year I can solidly put it down too seems to be McCarthys absence.

I guess if you look at our lineup in the GF last year. We only had the two genuine talls in Hipwood & Dannihers, so Cam probably had somewhat of a third tall ish role (shared with Ah Chee). So maybe it's been the addition of Morris that has really unlocked him to not have to ever really be that true DEEP ff target, and instead be a more HFF / Mid as you say.

It feels like he's playing a more genuine HFF role swapping directly into the mids, probably replacing Devs role in the GF last year. My theory has always been we needed more midfield depth coming from our HFF line, and now with McCluggage / Rayner / Berry all stepping up (and Ashcroft slowly progressing), we finally have a formidable backup group after Neale and Dunkley.

He's such a unique player that I am almost willing to say his form is integral to us winning the flag. Rayner has the attributes to be a point of difference (POD) or pure match winner, with his line breaking ability. Bailey tries to do a similar thing in shrugging off tackles and trying to create that overlap run, but some of the work Rayner put in against the swans (a premiership threat no doubt) when it came to line breaking WAS dusty like. Right now the pressure is off Bailey as Rayner has literally become a top 5 impact player in the AFL over the last 6 weeks.

Leaderboard

1. Cameron Rayner 47

2.⁠ Jarryd ⁠Lyons 35

3.⁠ Scott ⁠Borlace 34

4.⁠ ⁠Anthony Corrie 33

T5. Shadeau Brain 31

T5. James Madden 31

T5. Charles Cameron 31

T5. Andrew Crowell 31

T5. Hugh McCluggage 31

T5. Harry Sharp 31

Just on Rayner's star that is continuing to rise, his return of 25 goals already from only 20 games, is the most amount of goals he's kicked in a season, bettering his returns 24 (24 games in 2022), 23 (26 games in 2023), 20 (22 games in 2018), 20 (24 games in 2019) and 17 (17 games in the Covid year of 2020) noting he missed the entire 2-21 through injury.

On top of that, you could arguably say that he's also pushing up the ground more spending more time outside our F50 and probably averaging more disposals per game than ever before too.

One thing I do know, is that we have literally watched and seen Cam turn into one of the games elite in the past 2 months before our very eyes in a meteoric rise that I can't quite remember a player taking in such a burst.

Just on Rayner's star that is continuing to rise, his return of 25 goals already from only 20 games, is the most amount of goals he's kicked in a season, bettering his returns 24 (24 games in 2022), 23 (26 games in 2023), 20 (22 games in 2018), 20 (24 games in 2019) and 17 (17 games in the Covid year of 2020) noting he missed the entire 2-21 through injury.

On top of that, you could arguably say that he's also pushing up the ground more spending more time outside our F50 and probably averaging more disposals per game than ever before too.

One thing I do know, is that we have literally watched and seen Cam turn into one of the games elite in the past 2 months before our very eyes in a meteoric rise that I can't quite remember a player taking in such a burst.

Meteoric Rise rise you say?

I think he'd agree!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're at peak Rayner love.

I want to see him build a consistent body of work to be a genuine star other than just string a few really good games together.

The two keys to him have been a lift in self confidence and having a role that allows him freedom without being gassed by longer stints in the midfield. Overall he's really hit form.

Let's calm the farm a bit before we assist in expanding what is likely to already be a healthy contract.

I was getting a bit annoyed on the roar deal when they were comparing him to dusty and saying he was reaching expectations

He's playing very well but he hasn't hit Dusty or Petracca levels. These guys were full time mids while Cam is still 20% mid, 80% forward

He's elevated himself to a very strong forward who can have an influence in the midfield but he's still no midfielder

I'm bloody excited by what Cam has been delivering the last 6-8 weeks, even if he didn't improve any further and stayed at this level he will be an extremely valuable game breaking player for the rest of his career.

If he improves his endurance further over the off season and plays a bit more midfield time in 2025 LOOK OUT!

I was getting a bit annoyed on the roar deal when they were comparing him to dusty and saying he was reaching expectations

He's playing very well but he hasn't hit Dusty or Petracca levels. These guys were full time mids while Cam is still 20% mid, 80% forward

He's elevated himself to a very strong forward who can have an influence in the midfield but he's still no midfielder
100%.

The club's found the key to him and it's working . But comparing him to Dusty or Petracca is still a long way off though it must be said he's been able to do the sorts of things that they can do on occasions of recent weeks.

I don't believe the club thinks he'll ever be predominant midfielder and once we stopped trying to make him that he's found his niche.

100%.

The club's found the key to him and it's working . But comparing him to Dusty or Petracca is still a long way off though it must be said he's been able to do the sorts of things that they can do on occasions of recent weeks.

I don't believe the club thinks he'll ever be predominant midfielder and once we stopped trying to make him that he's found his niche.

I think a couple of years ago I said his ceiling is Toby Greene not Petracca. Not sure with our forwardline if he's going to kick the bags Toby does but looks a better comparison

100%.

We look like being stacked in the midfield for the next 5-6 years at least, I for one wouldn't want Cam to be a predominant midfield time player, 50/50 at most would be ideal IMO.

We look like being stacked in the midfield for the next 5-6 years at least, I for one wouldn't want Cam to be a predominant midfield time player, 50/50 at most would be ideal IMO.
From anything I've seen of him once he gets into the back half he's got not much idea how to defend. Nor tries to.

I just don't see him as a midfielder . We've worked out what he's good at and add to that some centre stoppages and get it into his hands when we're on an offensive rush.

That's more than good enough. 50/50 and you kill the goose....

That’s 11 better than handicap around Brookwater, basically the toughest or equal toughest course in SE Qld.

How hard did MVP Rayner sandbag this event.

That’s 11 better than handicap around Brookwater, basically the toughest or equal toughest course in SE Qld.

How hard did MVP Rayner sandbag this event.
I wonder what he's off ??

47 is incredible anywhere. If he's a very low handicapper god like.

Maybe he's found the key to everything.

I wonder what he's off ??

47 is incredible anywhere. If he's a very low handicapper god like.

Maybe he's found the key to everything.

From memory he was in the 20s earlier in the year when I saw him on results rundowns at my club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Has Rayner EVER been dropped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back