Have a beer with

Remove this Banner Ad

DQ 4EVER

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
OK, in this game, name 3 current and 3 past players you'd love to have a beer (or other drink, coffee or red wine, or whatever),
basically, who you'd like to chat with. Maybe even suggest your beverage of choice.
For me

Present:
1. Fyfe - the most rounded AFL individual I have ever heard interviewed, but also had the privilege of meeting twice & he did not disappoint in the slightest. I think I might chat over coffee after a reformer Pilates class (best exercise ever) & I'll have a Kyiv coffee (long black with lemon)
2. Clark - the bloke bleeds Freo & is ultra passionate. We might have beers & talk sh!t about the oppo
3. Chapman - my current fave player. He had a downer against the Swans IMO, but he & Young look like the 2 who could become A + graders. The drink? A Boost Juice or similar. No milk, but definitely some passionfruit there.

Past:
1. Clive - the most Freo number one pick ever! There is a piece of play where Clive took a screamer at half forward, landed on his feet like a cat, ran away & then kicked it out on the full. It was the most Dockery play ever. Another story. After the Demo Derby win, the coach in the public room after (forgot the name) said that "we need to be better than them"(sic), only for Clive to be announced as the MVP and when he walked on stage he said something like "it doesn't get much better than beating those pricks up the road" The crowd went beserk! Ok, the drink, depend on what Clive likes, but maybe vodka. Mixed with lime (not cordial) & soda? I'm Ukrainian after all, so vodka is often in my blood.
2. Roger - for context sake, I'm obviously old. My son was born in 2000. When he got a number put onto his footy jumper at Booragoon AFL store, they told me it was the first number 43 they had done. I remember vaguely a part of a game (maybe against Melbourne) where he took 3 contested marks in less than 5 minutes. I used to describe him as someone you would have trouble tackling in a phone box. (Youngsters, look up what a phone box is :) ) The drink? I reckon on a warm day, frozen coke zero
3. Kepler - I taught Kepler year 9 science at Woodvale & then he went away to another school. I knew him originally as a small, skinny "puppy dog", mad Sydney fan, great kid. I saw him a while later & he had transformed into a giant, but still a lovely kid. Met him again years later when he came to Freo & he remembered me fondly. As much a legend as he seemed on field. The drink? I drink red wine usually, but I am flexible, just no scotch, tequila nor gin.

And any of the guys are welcome to come to my balcony to enjoy American Honey (Wild Turkey Honey liqueur) & cigars in Southbank

F, I love Freo

Present

Clarke, Fyfe and Banfield

my past would be

Duffield, Modra and Lee Spurr

I could lie and make up some bs about wanting to ask them high brow questions about footy, but I confess it's purely for a good perv ;)

Banner, tooo ask him what has driven him to keep going after such a struggle to gain a full time spot.
The Curtain, Draper, to ask him what he would like out of the game. I see him as a star for a long time.
Darcy, to just find out what drives him.
Parks, Mundy and McManus.

Banner, tooo ask him what has driven him to keep going after such a struggle to gain a full time spot.
The Curtain, Draper, to ask him what he would like out of the game. I see him as a star for a long time.
Darcy, to just find out what drives him.
Parks, Mundy and McManus.
I would also love to chat with Sally Mundy :)

Present - Freddy, Jackson and Banfield

Past - Kepler, Subin (he’d be a mad campaigner) and Roger (my favourite Docker of all time)

Great thread idea. Current players:
Josh Treacy, Luke Jackson & Alex Pearce.

Past players:
Shane Yarran, may he rest peacefully, Shaun McManus & Dean Solomon.

It'd be a big night.

I would also love to chat with Sally Mundy :)
Funny story about Sally. My wife and I were looking through a display home in Aubin Grove and I spotted Dave Mundy. I never approach players as I feel they have a right to their privacy, but I found my wife in another room and said "Dave Mundy is here taking a look".

Next thing I hear this female voice say "Be very careful what you say next, I'm Mrs Mundy".

We quickly explained we were mad Docker (and Mundy) fans and all was cool. But I wouldn't want to cross Sally Mundy! 👌

Current players: Luke Ryan, Heath Chapman, Michael Walters

Past players: Stephen Hill, Mick Barlow, Luke McPharlin
It was hard to leave Clive out..

Tough to play favourites but of the current list I might go with: Walters, Treacy and Jackson.

Of the old boys it's easy to play favourites and pick my all time favourite The Wiz🧙‍♂️ , then Mundy and for my mum I'll add Mods.

I'd also add Luke McPharlin he can add some live music to proceedings :guitar:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't drink alcohol or coffee, so it would probably be hot chocolate / lemongrass and ginger tea with others drinking coffee:

A table of the present:
  • Jye Amiss - I think it would be interesting to talk to Jye about coming from Busselton and travelling up to play firstly WAFL colts and the difficulties in doing this and how this can improve into for future generations. Also about his development of his goal kicking routine, how he mentally goes about it; I don't have any desires to change it but just to find out what he thinks about it would be fascinating. Also the challenge of lining up as a 20 year old on some of the best key backs, and what it is like to play against Alex Pearce in practice matches and what he does to beat him.
  • Caleb Serong - I am not much of a conversationalist (and also being a lot older than these guys makes it a bit awkward) but I feel if you added Caleb to the table he would be able to really bring others into the conversation. He also clearly looks at the game analytically and I think there would be some really interesting stories there. I am sure he would also be able to describe what his drive results in in terms of how much effort he goes to behind the scenes in training, and I think that would be eye opening.
  • Brandon Walker - For me one of the real success stories of the NGA, I would like to hear about his journey into the AFL from his perspective, growing up as a twin and what worked and what were some of the challenges. Also the thought of the pressure applied in the backline seems daunting to me, so I would be interested in hearing how he deals with this and backs himself to take on the forward lines. Also the challenges of coming back from a knee reconstruction.

A table from the past:
  • Troy Cook - I have heard him talking about football as well as life generally and just seems to have a really down to earth approach with a really strong understanding about the rigors of playing AFL. I would want to know why he didn't become a coach even if just as a WAFL coach but also find out about the Waalitj foundation and his thoughts on how to improve outcomes for indigenous kids - I think I could really learn something from that.
  • David Mundy - Well I see him drinking coffee with his wife and kids every now and then and listening to him on radio he just comes across as a really good guy with a good understanding of the game and remembers all the tales from games. I am sure he would be a level headed person to talk about things like umpiring, the modern game of AFL and it's quirks that I sometimes struggle to understand - I think I would really learn some stuff out of this).
  • Cam McCarthy - In short, I saw him sitting by himself in a coffee shop I was in the day before he died. Not sure I would have been able to make a difference but part of me still wishes I had tried, but more importantly that I had others like Cookie and Mundy around me to try as well.

I don't drink alcohol or coffee, so it would probably be hot chocolate / lemongrass and ginger tea with others drinking coffee:

A table of the present:
  • Jye Amiss - I think it would be interesting to talk to Jye about coming from Busselton and travelling up to play firstly WAFL colts and the difficulties in doing this and how this can improve into for future generations. Also about his development of his goal kicking routine, how he mentally goes about it; I don't have any desires to change it but just to find out what he thinks about it would be fascinating. Also the challenge of lining up as a 20 year old on some of the best key backs, and what it is like to play against Alex Pearce in practice matches and what he does to beat him.
  • Caleb Serong - I am not much of a conversationalist (and also being a lot older than these guys makes it a bit awkward) but I feel if you added Caleb to the table he would be able to really bring others into the conversation. He also clearly looks at the game analytically and I think there would be some really interesting stories there. I am sure he would also be able to describe what his drive results in in terms of how much effort he goes to behind the scenes in training, and I think that would be eye opening.
  • Brandon Walker - For me one of the real success stories of the NGA, I would like to hear about his journey into the AFL from his perspective, growing up as a twin and what worked and what were some of the challenges. Also the thought of the pressure applied in the backline seems daunting to me, so I would be interested in hearing how he deals with this and backs himself to take on the forward lines. Also the challenges of coming back from a knee reconstruction.

A table from the past:
  • Troy Cook - I have heard him talking about football as well as life generally and just seems to have a really down to earth approach with a really strong understanding about the rigors of playing AFL. I would want to know why he didn't become a coach even if just as a WAFL coach but also find out about the Waalitj foundation and his thoughts on how to improve outcomes for indigenous kids - I think I could really learn something from that.
  • David Mundy - Well I see him drinking coffee with his wife and kids every now and then and listening to him on radio he just comes across as a really good guy with a good understanding of the game and remembers all the tales from games. I am sure he would be a level headed person to talk about things like umpiring, the modern game of AFL and it's quirks that I sometimes struggle to understand - I think I would really learn some stuff out of this).
  • Cam McCarthy - In short, I saw him sitting by himself in a coffee shop I was in the day before he died. Not sure I would have been able to make a difference but part of me still wishes I had tried, but more importantly that I had others like Cookie and Mundy around me to try as well.
that's terrible that you had that experience with Cam x

Hard to pick just three and being a nondrinker I’d be on the waters.

Current group
Luke Ryan, Hayden Young and Jye Amiss

Past players
Stephen Hill, Tony Modra and Clive Waterhouse

A table of the present:

A table from the past:
Great list and reasons, I considered Cook myself.
Him and McManus were 2 players I always loved for their commitment to the cause.

Current: Dogga cos I reckon the conversation would be scintillating; Fyfe cos the dude is the most interesting individual we’ve ever had at our club; Driz and tell him to bring his sister for the laughs. 😂

Past: Heath Black and Antoni Grover coz I reckon they’d be good value; Kepler coz he’s Kepler.
(Crowley and Medhurst on the emergency list).

Fyfe. Interesting deep thinking cat.
Treac. To tell him I knew he would be the player he is today from his first game. And to ask him if he has to drive through my daughter's town on the way to Melbourne.
Freddy. To ask him how to backflip.

Keps- for the laughs
Pav- for the love
And Bell - for the history lesson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back