Have Geelong become too powerful?

Remove this Banner Ad

As long as Geelong play within the rules and don't get preferential treatment from the AFL, then they have every right to put in place systems & strategies that ensure they are successful.

They get rewarded for good management, they are the envy of every other club and for good reason, they have set the bar very high.

According to Gill McLaughlin, you can't have everyone after winning a premierships and should get a 1-2 two year trade ban. At the LEAST get your salary cap reduced.

Oh wait. Does that rule only apply to clubs outside Victoria?

Damn. I guess the swans should have read the AFL rulebook.

Yep, who cares about interstate sides. Vic bias is the best, we are actually the important clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We are so powerful that we are in danger of creating a kugelblitz and destroying not just the hopes and dreams of opposition fans, but the entire planet, and possibly the entire solar system.

I would like to say "Won't somebody think of the children!? And Pluto!", but it is already too late, it's a runaway reaction.

We are so powerful that we are in danger of creating a kugelblitz and destroying not just the hopes and dreams of opposition fans, but the entire planet, and possibly the entire solar system.

I would like to say "Won't somebody think of the children!? And Pluto!", but it is already too late, it's a runaway reaction.

I think I probably would have lost interest by the time you destroyed the planet.

But the AFL would find a way for us to play Melbourne away games on Haley's Comet nonetheless.

Simple question with an obvious answer in my eyes.. YES they have become too powerful!! How is it a team can win a grand final by a huge margin, yet still be able to get their hands on pick 7... and trade in players for peanuts who were previously drafted in the first round, just because they played for the Falcons??

Imagine the media outrage if this was one of the big Melbourne clubs?? Instead, all we hear is how it's all down to good management and culture.. when if this was one of the big Melbourne clubs.. all the media commentary would be about how unfairly advantaged the big Melbourne club is, and what needs to be done to curb said advantages.

This all started when Geelong supporter Steve Bracks got into power and began greasing the wheels for the Geelong Football Club.. and surprise surprise, this has turned Geelong into a powerful.. albeit too powerful, football club.
I have two words for you, in no particular order:

“Hoo” and “Boo”

I don't know.

Geelong have gone for a topping up strategy that has them make finals just about every year but not really be dominant or perhaps even a serious contender in any year, 2022 aside. Still a lot had to go right injury wise etc to win it.
I think they were a serious contendor in 2013, 2019 and 2020. Ahead 3/4 time prelims and a gf is pretty serious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they were a serious contendor in 2013, 2019 and 2020. Ahead 3/4 time prelims and a gf is pretty serious.
You are right. Definitely 2013, but I think had some exposed weaknesses. 2020 yes, a funny season and were every chance in the Grand Final. 2019 despite the Minor Premiership, not so much I recon. Couldn't win two games in a row in the second half of the season.

You do realise you got pick 7 cause you are paying some of their cap space yeah? It wasn’t for nothing.

we are paying jack Bowes a 4 year deal that covers 1.6 million on his current deal yes.

and we got him and pick 7 for a Fr3.

Which Tigers facilitated by takin gHopper.

Again, rivals dont help rivals which clearly you aint - and in fact helped us get a way better deal.

Dont see whats so hard.

GO CAtters

I'm glad Richmond finally got up off the canvas in 2017.
And Footscray, and melbourne.

Geelong would only become too powerful if they managed a Big Bash League team as well.

we are paying jack Bowes a 4 year deal that covers 1.6 million on his current deal yes.

and we got him and pick 7 for a Fr3.

Which Tigers facilitated by takin gHopper.

Again, rivals dont help rivals which clearly you aint - and in fact helped us get a way better deal.

Dont see whats so hard.

GO CAtters

You should be in a circus with that logic. Your initial preference was Hopper you didn’t get him. Case closed.

According to Gill McLaughlin, you can't have everyone after winning a premierships and should get a 1-2 two year trade ban. At the LEAST get your salary cap reduced.

Oh wait. Does that rule only apply to clubs outside Victoria?

Damn. I guess the swans should have read the AFL rulebook.
The trade ban was ridiculous

Not sure on the 600k.. seems a tad fanciful. My recollection is that Carlton low balled Zach with a sub par 3 year deal. He went to the Cats with a 2nd Round pick, and Blues got a future first and either Darcy Lang or Billie Smedts..

Nah, we lowballed Tuohy and he went to the Cats for not much more. I'm thinking more like 400k max. Might have even been 300k.

Exactly as I remember it.

was under the impression that the offered Carlton contract was well south of $300k and around a year short of 2e‘s expectations.

His hand was forced.
Cheers boys.

loki04

Remove this Banner Ad

Have Geelong become too powerful?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back