Have selectors have lost us another series...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hauritz has never bowled a team out in his life.

And Cardiff was a turning deck
Not like the Oval it's not. I'd rather have the best spinner available (even if he is shit) than leave up to chance to North, Katich, and Clarke. If we bat ok, the match will be won and lost in England's second innings. We simply can't let them get too far ahead. It'll be easy to say the selectors got it wrong if we lose, but even if we win I still think they played the poorer percentage play.

Hauritz is ok, no star, but he doesn't leak runs and he does get a few wickets. His job is to take 2 or 3 wickets an innings and he's done that. Without him those 2 or 3 wickets might not get taken, or might get taken after the damage is done.

Hauritz is ok, no star, but he doesn't leak runs and he does get a few wickets. His job is to take 2 or 3 wickets an innings and he's done that. Without him those 2 or 3 wickets might not get taken, or might get taken after the damage is done.
His job is also to be thrown the ball on a uneven turning deck and win the game. He hasn't had that chance this series. Even the shit spinners will have their day on an almost unplayable pitch. Michael Clark got 6/9 a few years back. North may get them but Hauritz is the better bet.

Unless there is a lot of rain, this test will not be a draw.

Just goes to show how much can change in a session or two. Therefore making a comment bout the selectors after one session is a joke!

1. It is The Oval. Suits pace early, spin late. Average 4th innings score is sub 150.

I don't know where you got that idea. We're not playing in Chennai or Mumbai.

According to this, http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/content/story/420370.html

In the last nine Tests at The Oval, the side winning the toss has batted on seven occasions, winning four of those games and drawing three. Teams are most productive in the first innings, where they average 45.17 per wicket, explaining the toss trends. The pitch has displayed a tendency to remain true throughout the match, and sides chasing have generally taken advantage, averaging 42.85 in the fourth innings. (Click here for the second and third innings stats.)

Even if you back through history to the 1800s, you are still looking at over 27 per wicket in the 4th innings.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...derby=team_average;template=results;type=team

lets face it, England is a lottery, if we get our second crack at them and the conditions turn and the ball swings like mad and we clean them up then the selectors will look like geniuses. If it doesn't and the ball doesn't swing and they hit runs off us and win then we'll look stupid. I sill think going in without A front line spinner is a hell of a risk yet it may not cost us if we get lucky.

Just goes to show how much can change in a session or two. Therefore making a comment bout the selectors after one session is a joke!
1.You claimed the pitch was doing nothing so was heading for a draw. You based your naive comment based on one session and then had the hide to accuse someone else of making a call after 1 session.

2. The call about the selectors could have been made as soon as the team was seen. All reports are this deck is going to turn like a mofo. Crazy not picking a spinner. Whatever happens, win or lose, the decision is still is still very very questionable.

I don't know where you got that idea. We're not playing in Chennai or Mumbai.

According to this, http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/content/story/420370.html

Even if you back through history to the 1800s, you are still looking at over 27 per wicket in the 4th innings.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine...derby=team_average;template=results;type=team
Stuart MacGill and Phil Tuffnell told me on the radio this morning that the average 4th innings score at the Oval in recent years was 148. They might be talking County games as well.

Atherton also said last night that he thought immediately when he saw the pitch that it will turn like Lindsay Lohan.

Of recent tests where there was a real 4th innings (there were a couple that consisted of just 1 over)

We have

1997 - all out 104 (220 was the highest score for the whole game)
1999 - all out 162 (but 236 was the highest innings score for the whole match)
2000 - all out 215 (pacemen took all 10 wickets)
2003 - 1/110 (Draw)
2007 - 6/369 (Draw - Kumble and Tendulkar took 2/201 off 56 overs)
2008 - 4/198 (Won game - Paul Harris took 2/56)

Whatever stats they presented aren't all that relevant as far as I am concerned.

1.You claimed the pitch was doing nothing so was heading for a draw. You based your naive comment based on one session and then had the hide to accuse someone else of making a call after 1 session.

2. The call about the selectors could have been made as soon as the team was seen. All reports are this deck is going to turn like a mofo. Crazy not picking a spinner. Whatever happens, win or lose, the decision is still is still very very questionable.

1. Was also taking into consideration rain, but I meant to admit that my call was very premature and a bit silly.

2. The only player that would of been left out for Hauritz would of been Clark, and there would of been a thread immediately saying how stupid that was, spin or no spin. Seems to be a catch 20 situation these days for the selectors.

PS. I do actually agree that the selectors have been making some wierd choices of late, but I believe an unchanged team was the way to go for this test.

Crazy not picking a spinner.

We have.

North has a better FC record than Hauritz so we are not missing him. Hauritz is not capable of winning a match himself, in fact the only spinner in the squad that has won matches with the ball is Clarke (he's done it twice).

If the ball is turning square then I think Clarke will do more damage than either Hauritz or North.

IMO variable bounce will be as big a problem during the last couple of days as the turning ball. Already the ball is going through the top, it won't get any better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I feel this test is going to be decided by our first innings batting.

When you lose the toss on a track like this it’s always going to come down to making the most of batting when things are still alight.

We batted terribly at lords in the first dig and lost the test there if we bat well in the first dig here we can overcome the disadvantage of batting last, if the pitch breaks up and we have a lead then the seamers will be just as deadly as hauritz might be on a crumbler.

To think that with haurtiz in for clark we would have done better than 8/300 on a day one pitch is just bizarre, this is the same hauritz that was out bowled by m clarke on the bunsen burner in mumbai a few years back.

he's a steady spinner not a match winner i mean he's played 8 years of first class cricket (on plenty of spinning tracks) and never taken a single 5 wicket haul not one and yet suddenly he's a match winning spinner?

Stuart MacGill and Phil Tuffnell told me on the radio this morning that the average 4th innings score at the Oval in recent years was 148. They might be talking County games as well.

Atherton also said last night that he thought immediately when he saw the pitch that it will turn like Lindsay Lohan.

I think they are just a couple of spinners protecting their craft. 150 might be the average winning chase or some such nonsense, but certainly not the average score.

Personally I feel this test is going to be decided by our first innings batting.

Yep that is very much how I see it. Massively important innings coming up.

When you lose the toss on a track like this it’s always going to come down to making the most of batting when things are still alight.

We batted terribly at lords in the first dig and lost the test there if we bat well in the first dig here we can overcome the disadvantage of batting last, if the pitch breaks up and we have a lead then the seamers will be just as deadly as hauritz might be on a crumbler.

To think that with haurtiz in for clark we would have done better than 8/300 on a day one pitch is just bizarre, this is the same hauritz that was out bowled by m clarke on the bunsen burner in mumbai a few years back.

he's a steady spinner not a match winner i mean he's played 8 years of first class cricket (on plenty of spinning tracks) and never taken a single 5 wicket haul not one and yet suddenly he's a match winning spinner?

If Krejza was in the squad it would have been a different story. Ritz is a hold down one end bowler, not a wicket taking match winner.

If Krejza was in the squad it would have been a different story. Ritz is a hold down one end bowler, not a wicket taking match winner.

I agree.

But as much as I'd love to see Krejza in the side - could you imagine him bowling along with Siddle and Johnson?

A bad day could see us leak 400 runs.

Unfortunately until Siddle matures in terms of consistency, then I'd say we're going to continue going down a path of selecting a defensive spinner. I'm not a fan of it, but that's just the way things are at the moment :(.

I would be happy to see katich bowl a bit more in test cricket, he’s the best wicket taking spinner in our squad, yes he bowls some filth but he also bowls genuine wicket taking balls.

Sick of hearing he’s a reluctant bowler, skipper needs to throw him the ball and say bowl my son or go play for NSW.

I agree.

But as much as I'd love to see Krejza in the side - could you imagine him bowling along with Siddle and Johnson?

A bad day could see us leak 400 runs.

Unfortunately until Siddle matures in terms of consistency, then I'd say we're going to continue going down a path of selecting a defensive spinner. I'm not a fan of it, but that's just the way things are at the moment :(.

Yeah I have my 20/20 BigFooty hindsight goggles on.

But if I'm using them I have to follow up with a line like: This totally proves the selectaz r bullshit dude!!!! Sack everyone now and replace them with other people!!!!!

But if I'm using them I have to follow up with a line like: This totally proves the selectaz r bullshit dude!!!! Sack everyone now and replace them with other people!!!!!

Let's replace them Ashley Giles ;)

LtD, Gunnar Longshanks and Bushranger.

North was looking threatening last night, hit the pad a number of times with a few inside edges saving the batter. Got turn, flight and kept it tight. We won't know if Hauritz would have picked up a wicket or not but he wouldn't have gone much better in terms of economy compared to North.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back