Have the AFL got the names wrong of its two latest clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Western bushrangers would of suited them being close to the blue mountains, instead of some crappy american name, but meh I won't be losing any sleep over it.

Funnel-webs?
Blue Tongues?

the gold coast suns are fine, but the giants is a basketball name. there coulours are crap aswell

I'd say the Suns is more of a basketball name thanks to the Phoenix Suns. Even the NBL's Townsville Crocodiles were the Suns briefly (And yes I remember the North Melbourne Giants). Anyway, the 'Greater' part of the GWS Giants needs to go. Sounds like a council city planning meeting instead of a footy team. Giants has grown on me as a name, but I still think the West Sydney Wolves was the way to go. Not so keen on the Gold Coast Suns, that one does just seem like a blatant NBA rip off (wonder if they considered the Gold Coast Heat or Magic). Gold Coasts name was always going to be tough to pick, but the Sharks or Marlins may have worked.

I hate the Suns nickname and their jumper aswell i think it should've been the Gold Coast Sharks
As for the Giants i really like the jumper but i hate the name i would've like to see West Sydney Wolves.

They are not American names. They are names that happen to be used by some American Team. There is absolutely nothing American about them.
Yankees, Texans, Redskins, Patriots and Broncos are American names, they all have strong connations with America.

yep the names arent american in their own right, however they are well known existing team names in the US that some marketing company has copied for the new AFL clubs. no hiding the fact that we havent come up with something original.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure why everyone is so up in arms about this. A lot of clubs, if they were to enter the comp now as opposed to 100 years ago would be ridiculed for their name, mascot or colours.

Adelaide - Crows. WTF who likes Crows. Terrible birds, often associated with death.
Cartlon - Blues. WTF is a blues. The blues are associated with depression. If they tried that name today they would severely ridiculed.
Collingwood - Magpies. Not exactly a magestic bird. Nuicance value when swooping you. Not in the same ballpark as an eagle or a hawk.
Freo - Dockers, has copped plenty of criticsim. As has their colours, particularly purple.
Hawthorn. Brown and Gold. Pee and Poo. Would be laughed out of town if they tried that today.
Sydney Swans. Swans? Whilst not exactly out of place in eastern Sydney, hardly a manly creature.
Port. WTF is a power? Where did they pull Teal from?
Geelong - Cats. Not Lions, not Tigers, not Pumas or Jaguars, just your stock standard house cat. Pussies.
Footscray. - Bulldogs. Red White and Blue. Why didn't they just call themselves the Poms?
Demons, Saints? They don't even exist. A bit like Giants really.

Everyone is getting far too caught up in the name, colours etc. Most clubs have something that could be derided, it's just that everyone just gets used to them.

Sydney Swans. Swans? Whilst not exactly out of place in eastern Sydney, hardly a manly creature.
Originally the Blood Stained Angels? Bloods, Swans came from at one point having a few Western Australians playing for the side

Name was intended to be ironic as they were anything but, much like a redhead might get called bluey

The thing is these names developed over time and weren't there when the sides first came to be at that time they were just football clubs, i.e. St Kilda Football Club.

Including the nickname in the teams name is only recent in the AFL it started with West Coast Eagles and Brisbane Bears.

The AFL astounds me. They continue to give the public what they don't want, and yet still make record profits each year. A lot of businesses would love to know how they do it.

and in what ways do they give the public what they don't want?

Also re Sharks, it would have been foolish to go with that given that Southport are not popular with the non-Southport GC AFL community, and also the fact that Cronulla owns that mascot in the eyes of the vast majority of sports followers on the GC (even if you don't necessarily follow the NRL, you'll likely be aware of them).

Originally the Blood Stained Angels? Bloods, Swans came from at one point having a few Western Australians playing for the side

Name was intended to be ironic as they were anything but, much like a redhead might get called bluey

The thing is these names developed over time and weren't there when the sides first came to be at that time they were just football clubs, i.e. St Kilda Football Club.

Including the nickname in the teams name is only recent in the AFL it started with West Coast Eagles and Brisbane Bears.

lol i thought they were called Saints because of 'Saint' Kilda

the bloods is a far better name, shame Sth Melb/Syd never stuck with that.

an old rugby league team up here called Newtown were known as The Bluebaggers (blue jumpers) until they got the american rebranding of the Newtown Jets and even went so far as to copy the New York Jets font and name placing. :(

It will evolve.

Look at NRL teams full names:

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
St George-Illawarra Dragons

They are all stripped down from their full names over time.

lol i thought they were called Saints because of 'Saint' Kilda

the bloods is a far better name, shame Sth Melb/Syd never stuck with that.

an old rugby league team up here called Newtown were known as The Bluebaggers (blue jumpers) until they got the american rebranding of the Newtown Jets and even went so far as to copy the New York Jets font and name placing. :(
Funnily enough the St in St Kilda doesn't stand for Saint, the St is the result of a error made when copying an old map.

According to the United Nations World Conservation Monitoring Centre the name 'St Kilda' derives from Skildar the Viking name for shields, reflecting the outline of the islands which resembled shields when viewed from the sea. Skildar was transcribed in error by Lucas Waghenaer in his 1592 charts without the trailing r and with a period after the S, creating S.Kilda. This was in turn assumed to stand for a saint by other map makers, creating the form that has been used for several centuries, St Kilda.

Remove this Banner Ad

Have the AFL got the names wrong of its two latest clubs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back