Have the events of the last four years impacted your love of Aussie rules?

Remove this Banner Ad

My love for the game definitely isn't what it was. Winning 3 premierships in a row has been awesome obviously but on a week to week basis I used to watch heaps of games now I rarely watch any non Hawthorn games. It's not even just the Essendon thing, the commentators are awful, the rules and interpretations change so often even the umpires don't know what's going on. It's frustrating to watch.

This is pretty much the same as me except I'd add that playing the game at local and grassroots level is completely different from the AFL elite level. I know that sounds like a stupid obvious statement, but like you said, the rules and interpretations are changed so much at the top level that the spectrum with local footy is so wide that the game is played completely differently.

I also think that week in, week out, the A-League has the AFL covered in game-day atmosphere nowadays. Hence why I'm starting to enjoy local footy a lot more.

This post was going well until the end. Politician's also vote to give themselves payrises that are fair and deserved. :thumbsu:

Non-independent reviews are always going to be questioned. We've seen with the MRP and the doping tribunal that the AFL has a tendency to decide on what they want the result to be rather than judge on the merits of the case. Or does anyone else think that for example Barry Hall slugging someone 3 nautical miles from the play shouldn't have been penalised?
So, you reviewed your own opinion, in the face of tabulated data showing you are wrong. Your semi independent review has in fact shown your opinion to be correct. We do not have to check the data, as the fact it conflicts with your reviewed opinion is proof it must be wrong

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

They don't do an excellent job, they do quite a poor job not just with decision making but with consistency and maintaining their role as arbiters of the game rather than trying to control or influence the game. Now, this is likely more due to the instruction they receive as to how to officiate but the result is the game is poorly officiated for the most part. Two other issues are the weeding out of umpires because they can't bounce a footy and their semi-professional status which is quite ludicrous in the modern game.

Umpiring as a whole has changed ever since the influx of betting adversting which is around the same time umpires are getting the bounce wrong, coincidence? Maybe. I've seen a fair amount of goals kicked from a poor centre bounce in recent years.

Fantasy footy has kept me interested in non Hawthorn games but it seems there are less amazing matches each yr.

I really hope we get some great friday night games this yr

I think the poor games in prime time slots is more the issue, as well as having all games spread across the weekend so there is more exposure.

If they got back to one Friday game (a legit match of the round not just featuring poorly performing but well supported clubs), 4 Saturday arvo, 2 Saturday night and 2 Sunday games it might "hide" the poorer games a bit more.

This whole thread is rather depressing and toxic for AFL lovers.

It's safe to say this site accumulates the game's biggest supporters and it's sad to see a large majority lose interest. I feel many here are just romanticising the past and hopefully their love for the game comes back, if not, AFL looks fated to crash and burn.

It's impacted my love for the AFL, but not so much Aussie Rules

I long for the day the league & governing body split like the FA and Premier League in England, as it would mean there isn't as much of a conflict of interest. The governing body can just govern and the competition can just run independently from one another

There are a number of issues that's affecting my enjoyment of the game

1. Weird scheduling: All the Thursday night, Sunday twilight, Monday night and posturing about a night grand final is just ruining the game i grew up with. What happened to a simple Friday game with Sat night and day and Sunday arvo? Simple and easy

2. Channel 7. A slew of awful commentators lazy irritating coverage and worse still a lack of emphasis on actually commentating the game and more being wacky asshats. The Saturday channel 7 team are the worst thing to happen to AFL media in a long time.

3. Essendon and the media. This club dragging every fan along for their blind push towards undeserved innocence is awful and has drained the life out of each season since 2013. It's all the media will talk about and it drags the game through the mud.

4. Gws and Gold Coast: Say what you want about expansion but the Afl forcing these clubs onto the league when nobody really wanted their existence was bad enough but the fact that they pushed so hard for them to be successful right away left a sour taste in everyone's mouth especially those who've been waiting years for a flag. It's not surprising people enjoy when these clubs lose a star player.

That's what seems to run with the thread consensus

2. Channel 7. A slew of awful commentators lazy irritating coverage and worse still a lack of emphasis on actually commentating the game and more being wacky asshats. The Saturday channel 7 team are the worst thing to happen to AFL media in a long time.

This is a big one - I am one who would generally watch any game on TV but now I find myself switching off more and more, especially Friday night games. A poor contest is one thing but to have to listen to the inane quips of buffoons is too much. Its clearly a production directive as well as you look at games before Channel 7 regained the rights and McAvaney and Cometti were nowhere near as bad. McAvaney was pretty much a normal commentator who sometimes got a little enthused and Cometti had his puns but they were never as forced as today. Channel 7 need to treat the comp like a sport again instead of the "sports entertainment" they're clearly going for. Just look at the rubbish as well with Malthouse's post-match press conferences, they were trying to build it up into a rivalry between him and that idiot journo whose name I don't even know.

They're trying to imitate the Channel 9 "boys club" and failing miserably. They should just be what they are, bland, and deal with it.

I've become incredibly cynical towards the AFL over the last 24 months.

1. The handling of the Essendon saga was a complete and utter farce from the very beginning. The AFL couldn't have tried any harder to manufacture an outcome to their liking. The way they've acted since the CAS ruling has been even worse.

2. The declining standards in coverage. I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with Brian Taylor and his muppets commentating the game any longer. Once Cometti leaves there won't be a quality, professional broadcaster any more. Go listen to Al Michaels talk about how he prepares for commentary. Does anyone think for a second that BT does research on his games beyond finding out if there's anyone playing that came out of the footy factory?

3. The Swans trading ban. People don't care about this because it didn't happen to their club and they're happy to see the Swans take a hit, but far out if you have any sort of ability to impartially look at an issue this one was ridiculous. Say what you want about COLA, but the Swans followed the rules as provided to them by the AFL (and signed off by all other clubs). We were then punished for following the rules. The Giants, who had the same rule, weren't punished. It was a complete and obvious example of executive interference in the competition.

Being part of a club formed from scratch, that four years ago was counting down to its first AFL game; in an area not known for its love of footy. Having seen determined kids cop a shellacking every week, but gradually close the gap. Watching these kids grow up to become Giants. Coming from nothing to become something that although small by AFL standards has the potential to grow into something big. A club under siege with backs to the wall, not having Murdoch or Lowy's billions, but a little Aussie battler club working away in a tough area to build our great Australian game.
My love of Aussie rules is stronger than ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a big one - I am one who would generally watch any game on TV but now I find myself switching off more and more, especially Friday night games. A poor contest is one thing but to have to listen to the inane quips of buffoons is too much. Its clearly a production directive as well as you look at games before Channel 7 regained the rights and McAvaney and Cometti were nowhere near as bad. McAvaney was pretty much a normal commentator who sometimes got a little enthused and Cometti had his puns but they were never as forced as today. Channel 7 need to treat the comp like a sport again instead of the "sports entertainment" they're clearly going for. Just look at the rubbish as well with Malthouse's post-match press conferences, they were trying to build it up into a rivalry between him and that idiot journo whose name I don't even know.

They're trying to imitate the Channel 9 "boys club" and failing miserably. They should just be what they are, bland, and deal with it.

Bang on. Channel 7 was fine until they regained full coverage in 2012 and decided to try be funny rather than watch the bloody game

I love footy as much as ever but will admit I watched less games last year due to the AFL scheduling Carlton every bloody Friday night, also looking forward to Paul Roos sailing off into the sunset at the end of the year shit boring footy has no place in our world. Same goes with you Ross Lyon.

Being part of a club formed from scratch, that four years ago was counting down to its first AFL game; in an area not known for its love of footy. Having seen determined kids cop a shellacking every week, but gradually close the gap. Watching these kids grow up to become Giants. Coming from nothing to become something that although small by AFL standards has the potential to grow into something big. A club under siege with backs to the wall, not having Murdoch or Lowy's billions, but a little Aussie battler club working away in a tough area to build our great Australian game.
My love of Aussie rules is stronger than ever.

You do realise that the club is bankrolled by the AFL who still provide you with the significant majority of your funds (in addition to gift wrapping you players).

I wish we had to 'battle' so hard.

3. The Swans trading ban. People don't care about this because it didn't happen to their club and they're happy to see the Swans take a hit, but far out if you have any sort of ability to impartially look at an issue this one was ridiculous. Say what you want about COLA, but the Swans followed the rules as provided to them by the AFL (and signed off by all other clubs). We were then punished for following the rules. The Giants, who had the same rule, weren't punished. It was a complete and obvious example of executive interference in the competition.

That decision was just flat out ludicrous - I couldn't believe the extent the AFL were interfering with the competition and the fact no media really took them to task on it. I think the media plays a big role in this as they let the AFL get away with so much crap for fear of being cut off.

Yes.

Obviously a large part of that is my team's dreadful last few years. When the season is over by round 6, as it has been for the last 5? years, makes it difficult to get overly excited; it just becomes a cycle of: season over early > look forward to draft/trades > get excited for next season > season over early > etc.. This upcoming season especially, I don't feel at all optimistic about our chances and am not especially keen for the start of the season.

That aside though, there are a number of other factors limiting my affection for the game. We've played pretty average for a decade now, but I watch far fewer neutral games nowadays too. My other gripes include:
  • Hawthorn/Sydney/Geelong dominating for the last ~8 seasons
  • Replacing NAB cup with NAB challenge - NAB cup had some competition element to it, built up the season launch better
  • Increased focus on gambling
  • The atrocious commentary
  • Commentators and media telling everyone who's a good bloke, irrespective of their conduct
  • The duration of the Essendon saga
  • The controversy over booing
  • Other minor incidents that get ridiculous amounts of criticism (Sam Mitchell's injection stunt v Essendon for example)
  • Constant rule changes: to the game itself, and drafts/trading etc.
  • Inconsistencies with the MRP, umpiring
Great I agree with all of them. Especially the gambling issue. Once it takes control its like heroin!

The last 5 years have impacted my enjoyment of the game. But it's not the Essendon rubbish that's done it.

• Game atmosphere sucks now. Maybe it's cause I'm going to Melbourne games but the crowd so quiet for so much of the game. The sound effects are annoying, the music does nothing and it doesn't feel like something worth going to now. I've been to a few A-League matches and the atmosphere is insane.
  • The terrible state of free kicks. You have kicks going 50 meters being paid as deliberate and the obvious ones being let go. Push in the back when chasing someone down needs to be abolished and giving 50 meter penalties for not passing it back directly to their chest when the receiving player has his hands in the air boils my blood.
  • The dominance of a couple of teams for an extended period of time. I love the AFL and the way it tries to get some equality into the fixture, but I'm sick of watching Hawthorn dominate. The Grand Final last year was a boring event and like the year before I only watched some of it and talked with mates most of the time instead.
  • The cost to see all the games each year. Foxtel is the devil for this and I refuse to pay it. Why the AFL can't set up their own one that allows people in Aus to watch the games online is beyond me. (Global Pass is a piece of ****). Trust me, I'm in the UK at the moment and it's just a terrible platform.
  • Goal review farces. Either get proper HD cameras or do away with it. I don't care but stop having 'inconclusive' as a result of it.

The last 5 years have impacted my enjoyment of the game. But it's not the Essendon rubbish that's done it.

• Game atmosphere sucks now. Maybe it's cause I'm going to Melbourne games but the crowd so quiet for so much of the game. The sound effects are annoying, the music does nothing and it doesn't feel like something worth going to now. I've been to a few A-League matches and the atmosphere is insane.
  • The terrible state of free kicks. You have kicks going 50 meters being paid as deliberate and the obvious ones being let go. Push in the back when chasing someone down needs to be abolished and giving 50 meter penalties for not passing it back directly to their chest when the receiving player has his hands in the air boils my blood.
  • The dominance of a couple of teams for an extended period of time. I love the AFL and the way it tries to get some equality into the fixture, but I'm sick of watching Hawthorn dominate. The Grand Final last year was a boring event and like the year before I only watched some of it and talked with mates most of the time instead.
  • The cost to see all the games each year. Foxtel is the devil for this and I refuse to pay it. Why the AFL can't set up their own one that allows people in Aus to watch the games online is beyond me. (Global Pass is a piece of ****). Trust me, I'm in the UK at the moment and it's just a terrible platform.
  • Goal review farces. Either get proper HD cameras or do away with it. I don't care but stop having 'inconclusive' as a result of it.
You are right about the goal review nonsense. A camera many metres away filming reflected light that can look both ways from different angles and it is never ever totally convincing. An inch maybe 6 inches . you can't tell. Leave it to the goal umpire , the video review only adds more anger and confusion.

My interest has been in steady decline over the past 5 or so years and pretty much flatlined last season - for the first time I watched zero games including finals but somewhat kept up to date through media. I was nuts about footy since I could walk till about my mid 20's - the decline in interest was probably 60/40 AFL and personal.

On the AFL's part it's been the usual stuff covered: Drama - I absolutely can't stand the drama that surrounds footy, I prefer a much drier presentation of sport and channel 7's tacky coverage only makes this worse. I'll probably give AFL another chance this season though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Have the events of the last four years impacted your love of Aussie rules?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back