List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Iā€™m a little bit confused by the Tucker delisting. Why did we bother picking him up if we never intended on giving him the time he needed to develop?

The club has been very clear since the day we drafted him that heā€™s a long term prospect, weā€™ve dumped him in the forward pocket as 3rd choice ruck since then and now cut him.

Maybe this JUH bloke is better already?
He averaged 5.7 touches, 0.3 goals and 10 hitouts at VFL level. Frankly he's just not up to it.

I'd think we would have kept Tucker if we had lots of spots, but we don't. It's a tighter list position than we've been in many years particularly for senior listed uncontracted players.

Another thought could be he was picked up as more a Reeves-type ruck and the new ruck rules and Meek's emergence as a better fit for them, have pushed down our expectations of what Tucks could have done at AFL level.
Makes the retaining of Breust and Gunston a little confusing.

Ramma at this stage is stuck between two positions. Heā€™s not big enough for ruck at afl given change in ruck rules favors huge units like Meek (Ramma was likely more an English type who can run all day - but rules worked against this type).

Up forward heā€™s just not mobile enough to be a kpf at afl. Heā€™s still got a good tank but appears to have lost speed/agility as heā€™s bulked up. He can launch at ball but isnā€™t an elite contested mark.

Itā€™s hard to see him pushing past Meek or Chol.
Agree that he is unlikely to be a 150 games player as either a ruck for key forward.

But, in one player is a great backup for two postions who might play 50 - 100 games. He could fill in if injury struck Meek and Reeves, or Chol as forward/ruck. Lewis canā€™t ruck and I wouldnā€™t want to throw Dear in there yet.

Important player to have on the list.

How so? Are we expecting them to play next year. How many games? They didn't fire a shot this finals series.
We won't be repeating the mess that was Hodge, Lewis and Birchall (and to some extent Mitchell). Losing on-field leadership and coaching (either AFL or VFL) for the younger players coming through was part of the reason we fell apart.

As much as I hate to say it Geelong looked at what we did and decided to not do that and they've been up for a longer time than we all probably thought.

How so? Are we expecting them to play next year. How many games? They didn't fire a shot this finals series.
Two very experienced on-field coaches in an area we can afford their salary, and if they arenā€™t playing they are providing excellent depth and guidance. Tucker was a mid season draft pick that was not (in my opinion) showing much at all at VFL level. Unfortunately itā€™s a tough gig and being in the very best echelon to warrant a list spot is bloody hard. Itā€™s a massive accomplishment to just make a list.

If it were my choice I would have taken the experience and guidance in this situation too.

For me it wasn't the helicopter kicks - it was him receiving the handball on or around our defensive 50m line, seeing trouble coming so just immediately handpassing back to the player under pressure who would then inevitable get pinged for holding or have to hurriedly try and dispose of it and turn it over. That and the turning it over and then jogging to chase the opposition player.
I thought back to Tmitch's comments earlier in the year when he talked about being put on blast in one of the Hawks mid meetings. It took a bit but when we had success this year, I think the two-way running of our mids played a massive part in limiting the forward 50 entries. No way that would be happening if Tmitch was around - and even our kicking, I think Nash is prob the worst and he's improved massively. Tmitchs rainmakers dont break lines so you can see why Sammie was happy to move him on now with our gamestyle

And how much of Mitchell's wage did we pay for him to help Collingwood win the flag. Costly however you want to spin it.
I was a bit critical of the Tom trade at the time because I thought we didn't get much out of it, but 2 years later, I don't know how you can say anything except that the club is completely vindicated in the moves that they made.

Ramma at this stage is stuck between two positions. Heā€™s not big enough for ruck at afl given change in ruck rules favors huge units like Meek (Ramma was likely more an English type who can run all day - but rules worked against this type).

Up forward heā€™s just not mobile enough to be a kpf at afl. Heā€™s still got a good tank but appears to have lost speed/agility as heā€™s bulked up. He can launch at ball but isnā€™t an elite contested mark.

Itā€™s hard to see him pushing past Meek or Chol.
Have we tried him as a key back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought back to Tmitch's comments earlier in the year when he talked about being put on blast in one of the Hawks mid meetings. It took a bit but when we had success this year, I think the two-way running of our mids played a massive part in limiting the forward 50 entries. No way that would be happening if Tmitch was around - and even our kicking, I think Nash is prob the worst and he's improved massively. Tmitchs rainmakers dont break lines so you can see why Sammie was happy to move him on now with our gamestyle
The other way to look at it is how can Sam as the head coach expect all of our young kids to run both ways in the way that he wants the team to play when 2 of our most senior players in Titch + JOM weren't or couldn't. Sam wanted us to play fast and move the ball on at all costs on all lines and he needed the senior players to show the way. The two of them aren't bad people but they just didn't fit with how we wanted us to play.

Last edited:
Thanks, all, for the content in this thread. It's the only one I've been reading since the season ended. All the other threads trigger me too hard with the incredible inconsistency that Ginni playfully ribbing a mate is Satan's love child while Hinkley deserves great compassion and understanding as a helpless victim of his uncontrolled passions. I'm torn as to whether the people making that argument, particularly the adults in the media, suffer extreme cognitive dissonance and genuinely believe it, or are being intentionally obtuse to cynically drive clicks.

Anyways, thanks for this thread. It's the only one that is enjoyable at the moment.
The media are cynically farming engagement, while the gullible members of the public, many of whom are already utterly Hawthorn-headf*cked, blindly and mindlessly follow on, gleefully gulping whatever manure is dished upā€¦.

It was an incredible shame that Cooper Stephens couldnā€™t get a solid run at it in his time at Hawthorn. Hamstring, calves, concussions, Achilles issue all robbed him of the opportunity to get consistent game time at Box Hill to press his case.

Was incredibly close last year to making a debut towards the end of the year before he had a concussion late in the season.

He worked incredibly hard around the club to try and get his body right. While on his rehab from his Achilles issue, he was walking the stairs of the grandstand at Bunjil Bagora to get himself back ready to play. He was as diligent as they came to rehab and it is a real shame that his body let him down.

I can only imagine how difficult at the age of 23 it would be to know that your AFL dream has come to an end after all the hard work he put in.
He's been delisted. If the Cats have a spot they could bring him back into the fold for nix.

I was shouted down on here once last year when I questioned Tucker's impact at VFL level in a game where he had two disposals
Yes he was very raw last year, but seemed to progress a lot this year. The basketball player as mentioned must be showing more at this early stage for Tucker to be delisted. I feel he may still be given another chance elsewhere.

Last edited:
Ah the time of year where people are perplexed by the delisting of players whoā€™ve proven to be nowhere near it at VFL level much less AFL level.

Always reminds me of the poster who absolutely lost his shit that we let go Litherland and said weā€™d regret it.

Everyone is the next Josh Kennedy.
spartacus GIF

Always reminds me of the poster who absolutely lost his shit that we let go Litherland and said weā€™d regret it.
There's one guy out there somewhere convinced that all our woes began when we got rid of Trent Stubbs...

DimiPumpa, or something...may have been his dad. No-one else could possibly have cared as much.

Don't worry if you're wondering "Trent who?"...such was his towering legacy...

For me, the biggest surprise is that they've made the first announcement before the end of the trade period
There are always a couple for whom there has not been a sniff of interest among other clubs.

The buyers either 1) don't want them at all or 2) know they will be available for free as discards

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back