List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Usually do one of these before the trade period but was caught-up with other stuff this year so here is my post-trade period update! This is what I have at the moment. As you can see, firstly the list is STACKED in terms of talent (which we already knew) but is also pretty close to being completely full as it is. If what I have is correct, then we have 36 primary list, 4 Cat A and 1 Cat B locked in for next year which leaves us with limited options in terms of drafting next month and SSP/MSD in 2025.

If I had to guess, I'd say we are likely to delist-then-rookie one or both of Gunston and/or Breust for flexibility. Regardless, we can only intake a max of 2 players to primary/Cat A list at the moment plus the option of another Cat B player if we want (which I suspect we will re-sign Bennetts with).

As usual, if you spot any mistakes then please let me know :)

Hawks List 2025 (pre-drafts).png

You obviously did not read the actual AFL document and the exceptions to the rule at all then if that is your reply.
Please don't go by articles written last year.
It's simple maths. The maximum players on a senior list is 38 - we currently have 36. We can't use three picks as that would give us 39.

Therefore, two picks.

There are 2 separate but related questions and anyone speaking with total
Authority on the rules probably shouldn’t they are deliberately convoluted.
First my best research says it’s max 44 made up of 36-38 primary, 4-6 Cat A and up to 3 Cat B. As we are at 36,4,1 we can add 3 players. 2 of those between primary and Cat A and 1 Cat B. Even though we have 2 Cat B spots as they aren’t counted as draft picks we wouldn’t meet the minimum standard of picks taken. I believe that minimum is now 2 picks. We will take 1 pick and either bid match or rookie Cody Anderson. If we need 3 picks someone will need to be delisted and re-rookied. If my understanding is correct Cat N is 1 spot between Bennetts and anyone else rumoured.

Please don't go by articles written last year.
It's simple maths. The maximum players on a senior list is 38 - we currently have 36. We can't use three picks as that would give us 39.

Therefore, two picks.
1. It wasn't written last year, it was written in 2024.
2. It's not an "article" it's an official AFL list management document.
3. We can still delist a current primary listed player to then pickup again or pickup as a rookie. It's risky but it certainly can be done.

If you can show me an official AFL set of rules that says it's a minimum of 2 selections I'll gladly admit I got it wrong.

None of this even matters as to why Cody would be at risk of not getting to the Hawks anyway. The only risk is whether we want him or someone else when it's time to choose. Which is what the whole original comment was related to.

There are 2 separate but related questions and anyone speaking with total
Authority on the rules probably shouldn’t they are deliberately convoluted.
First my best research says it’s max 44 made up of 36-38 primary, 4-6 Cat A and up to 3 Cat B. As we are at 36,4,1 we can add 3 players. 2 of those between primary and Cat A and 1 Cat B. Even though we have 2 Cat B spots as they aren’t counted as draft picks we wouldn’t meet the minimum standard of picks taken. I believe that minimum is now 2 picks. We will take 1 pick and either bid match or rookie Cody Anderson. If we need 3 picks someone will need to be delisted and re-rookied. If my understanding is correct Cat N is 1 spot between Bennetts and anyone else rumoured.
Well you can stop talking about Bennetts now because he's gone. Delisted today and the family is devastated for Josh and very angry with the HFC.

Usually do one of these before the trade period but was caught-up with other stuff this year so here is my post-trade period update! This is what I have at the moment. As you can see, firstly the list is STACKED in terms of talent (which we already knew) but is also pretty close to being completely full as it is. If what I have is correct, then we have 36 primary list, 4 Cat A and 1 Cat B locked in for next year which leaves us with limited options in terms of drafting next month and SSP/MSD in 2025.

If I had to guess, I'd say we are likely to delist-then-rookie one or both of Gunston and/or Breust for flexibility. Regardless, we can only intake a max of 2 players to primary/Cat A list at the moment plus the option of another Cat B player if we want (which I suspect we will re-sign Bennetts with).

As usual, if you spot any mistakes then please let me know :)

View attachment 2149487
Bennetts delisted and upset is an understatement

1. It wasn't written last year, it was written in 2024.
2. It's not an "article" it's an official AFL list management document.
3. We can still delist a current primary listed player to then pickup again or pickup as a rookie. It's risky but it certainly can be done.

If you can show me an official AFL set of rules that says it's a minimum of 2 selections I'll gladly admit I got it wrong.

None of this even matters as to why Cody would be at risk of not getting to the Hawks anyway. The only risk is whether we want him or someone else when it's time to choose. Which is what the whole original comment was related to.
Ok, you tell me.
We have 36 on the Primary list right now.
We're allowed a maximum of 38. Two spots open only.
How do we get three picks to go to 39? It's not allowed
Please explain.
That's all, explain how we're allowed to have three picks and extend our list beyond the allowed limit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly mentioned in post that Cody is at risk if we are taking both Bennetts and Matt Hill(???)

Now that Bennetts is sadly off the list, Cody is not at risk unless we trade up with just F1 and somehow keep our 33 and have a good player available to take.

So its either 33+ Cody or 1st rounder + 33( no cody) or a variation of it
Bennetts delisted and upset is an understatement
What do you think HFC could have done different? Would he have explored trade options if he knew this risk was high earlier? did HFC talk to him about this.

Ok, you tell me.
We have 36 on the Primary list right now.
We're allowed a maximum of 38. Two spots open only.
How do we get three picks to go to 39? It's not allowed
Please explain.
That's all, explain how we're allowed to have three picks and extend our list beyond the allowed limit?
I have, by delisting and then rookie picking someone.

Well you can stop talking about Bennetts now because he's gone. Delisted today and the family is devastated for Josh and very angry with the HFC.
Chance of a re-rookie? If not I’d imagine there would be a team willing to take a punt, has shown some at Box Hill.

Angry?

It’s professional sport

Grow up

What a sh*t comment.

Show some respect mate.

He has been a great servant of the club in his short time, and it must be difficult for him and his family - as it would be for many young men in his position.

The last thing they’d need is some internet d**khead sinking the boots in unnecessarily…

Clearly mentioned in post that Cody is at risk if we are taking both Bennetts and Matt Hill(???)

Now that Bennetts is sadly off the list, Cody is not at risk unless we trade up with just F1 and somehow keep our 33 and have a good player available to take.

So its either 33+ Cody or 1st rounder + 33( no cody) or a variation of it

What do you think HFC could have done different? Would he have explored trade options if he knew this risk was high earlier? did HFC talk to him about this.
Yes could have explored options earlier, very late now. No they told him they could not make a decision on him until trade period ended. (2 weeks ago?) But in hindsight now that doesn't even make sense. All along they have told him how great he is, not one negative...until today. Sorry no spots left!

Yeh but it's still shit for the people involved. Let's have some care for a player who gave everything

Care is important, however Bennetts release is no more or less worse than any other player in the history of the game.

I like the way Bennetts went about it, but rookies from other sports are always a long shot in my opinion.

Wishing Josh all the best with his future endeavours, seems like a quality lad and will bounce back in his next challenge.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Hawk's List Management for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back