Hawks set to become the 8th club

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty obvious Collingwood and Essendon fans are in a "like" war.

I believe the Swans have the most contested likes in the competition, while Collingwood seem to have more uncontested likes.
Essendon's likes are under investigation by ASADA as they seem to have grown their likes too rapidly in comparison to other teams.

What a lame d**k measuring contest. Andrew Demetriou must have set up about 30,000 fake accounts, as there is no chance GWS would have that many likes.
A lot of sympathetic supporters would like their pages. I'm not a Gold Coast or Freo supporter and I've liked both pages. It's always good too see what your rival is up to. ;)

Hell even Tony Abbott liked the GWS page and I'm not even sure he follows AFL!

You might be right! Last year Collingwood was about 3,000k ahead of Essendon but when the Asada saga was and still is happening Essendon got in front by 4,000k then the pies as of two weeks ago were in front of Essendon by 1,000k now as of today Essendon are 500 in front of Collingwood so I think their is a bit of a war to show who has the biggest following in the country. With Essendon not playing finals this year and if Collingwood win their first final they will by midweek over take Essendon again.

But I think the face book likes are the pretty most accurate findings for support base numbers.

Its a good measure of "soft" support.

Storm may well have more "soft" support than any AFL club in Melbourne but as a measure of "hard" - match attending, membership buying, money spending - support the numbers for Storm show it is meaningless.

Its a good measure of "soft" support.

Storm may well have more "soft" support than any AFL club in Melbourne but as a measure of "hard" - match attending, membership buying, money spending - support the numbers for Storm show it is meaningless.

agree, for teams like storm & the swans there is an element of just supporting the team in the same city.... however for old traditional clubs I think it is a much better indication of support than a "Roy Morgan" poll

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its probably not worth much but its interesting to see the pace at which some clubs climb over others...

When I put together the list in post #16 in April, the Hawks had just 1,300 more 'likes' than St Kilda and 13,000 less 'likes' than Adelaide. Now they have more than 9,000 more 'likes' than St Kilda and have closed to within 7,000 'likes' of Adelaide. If we make a run at the Grand Final this year, we'd probably surpass Adelaide.

Its fair to say that St Kilda probably 'maxed out' when it made the run at the 2009 and 2010 premierships so its not surprising that numbers have now slowed as the club enters rebuild.

Its interesting to look at trends amongst clubs...

P
Its probably not worth much but its interesting to see the pace at which some clubs climb over others...

When I put together the list in post #16 in April, the Hawks had just 1,300 more 'likes' than St Kilda and 13,000 less 'likes' than Adelaide. Now they have more than 9,000 more 'likes' than St Kilda and have closed to within 7,000 'likes' of Adelaide. If we make a run at the Grand Final this year, we'd probably surpass Adelaide.

Its fair to say that St Kilda probably 'maxed out' when it made the run at the 2009 and 2010 premierships so its not surprising that numbers have now slowed as the club enters rebuild.

Pretty spot on! Look at how low melbournes Facebook likes are! I would of thought they would at least have another 20-30,000 ATM. But when they start winning it will increase.

The only club I'm not sure about is geelong! They only have 56,000 face book likes. IMO they should atleast be around the 90-100,000 mark. The rest I guess is pretty spot on in terms of followers around Australia with the exception of Geelong and Melbourne as both have very low numbers on face book compared to their membership numbers.

Geelong should be up by another 40-50,000 and Melbourne by another 20-30,000

agree, surprised geelong is so low... thought they would be around hawthorn & st kilda particularly as their success has corresponded with the growth in fb

agree, surprised geelong is so low... thought they would be around hawthorn & st kilda particularly as their success has corresponded with the growth in fb

When you pool all indicators together Geelong are likely wedged between Hawthorn and St Kilda

The latest Twitter followers provide a pretty accurate indication...

Collingwood 51,800 followers
Essendon 50,800 followers
Carlton 43,200 followers
Sydney Swans 38,900 followers
Richmond 35,400 followers
Hawthorn 34,800 followers
Adelaide 34,600 followers
Geelong 34,100 followers
West Coast Eagles 28,900 followers
St Kilda 26,400 followers
Fremantle 24,300 followers
Melbourne 23,900 followers
North Melbourne 23,600 followers
Gold Coast 21,600 followers
Port Adelaide 20,900 followers
Brisbane Lions 18,900 followers
GWS Giants 18,900 followers
Western Bulldogs 17,900 followers

The odd outlier but both lists suggest an underlying trend in 'soft' support.

1st Bracket: Collingwood, Essendon
2nd Bracket: Carlton, West Coast, Sydney Swans
3rd Bracket: Richmond, Adelaide, Hawthorn
4th Bracket: Geelong, Fremantle, St Kilda
5th Bracket: North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Brisbane Lions, Melbourne
6th Bracket: Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast, GWS Giants

When you pool all indicators together Geelong are likely wedged between Hawthorn and St Kilda

The latest Twitter followers provide a pretty accurate indication...

Collingwood 51,800 followers
Essendon 50,800 followers
Carlton 43,200 followers
Sydney Swans 38,900 followers
Richmond 35,400 followers
Hawthorn 34,800 followers
Adelaide 34,600 followers
Geelong 34,100 followers
West Coast Eagles 28,900 followers
St Kilda 26,400 followers
Fremantle 24,300 followers
Melbourne 23,900 followers
North Melbourne 23,600 followers
Gold Coast 21,600 followers
Port Adelaide 20,900 followers
Brisbane Lions 18,900 followers
GWS Giants 18,900 followers
Western Bulldogs 17,900 followers

The odd outlier but both lists suggest an underlying trend in 'soft' support.

1st Bracket: Collingwood, Essendon
2nd Bracket: Carlton, West Coast, Sydney Swans
3rd Bracket: Richmond, Adelaide, Hawthorn
4th Bracket: Geelong, Fremantle, St Kilda
5th Bracket: North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Brisbane Lions, Melbourne
6th Bracket: Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast, GWS Giants

Actually the twitter followers I think is a more accurate data of what I always thought were the biggest to smallest clubs in the afl.

Facebook is about 90% correct except for the cats and demon numbers are far too low. Just my opinion if course

Actually the twitter followers I think is a more accurate data of what I always thought were the biggest to smallest clubs in the afl.

Facebook is about 90% correct except for the cats and demon numbers are far too low. Just my opinion if course

But with twitter I would of had the bulldogs ahead of the Gold Coast and gws. Still think that north Melbourne are the smallest supported club in Victoria but their aunt much difference in terms of support with north, Melbourne and the bulldogs. But out of the 3 I would have Melbourne bigger the noth and the bulldogs especially when they start winning again.

Probably not worth much but the Hawks have now gone past Adelaide...

Hawthorn 108,466
Adelaide 108,346

in the space of a couple of weeks there have been some big jumps;

carlton 142k to 148k
richmond 115k to 121k
hawthorn 100k to 111k

the hawks rise continues, they have now passed richmond to be 4th in victoria and 5th overall in popularity;

collingwood 244k
essendon 242k
carlton 149k
wc eagles 144k
hawthorn 125k
swans 123k
Richmond 121k
adelaide 109k
fremantle 97k

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks set to become the 8th club

Remove this Banner Ad