News Hawthorn and Skechers sign on for 2023 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Now that we are on the way up and playing exciting football with some young really marketable players I’m hoping that we have a big player like Nike , Adidas , ASICS or Puma knocking on our door to supply our onfield strips again , not a big wrap for what ISC have done to our home jumper.
What don't you like about it?

People’s desperation to be a complete afterthought for a big multinational brand is bizarre. I love AF1s and Dunks - but couldn’t care less that Nike don’t have their logo on our guernsey. Nike have the entire NBA under their license - they aren’t going to give the slightest toss about an AFL club under their banner. The last 3-4 Adidas home jumpers were just phoning it in rehashes of the year prior - it wasn’t overly exciting. ISC have brought back the long sleeves for those who like them, the Big Hawk last year that I see a fair few people wearing and our Indigenous guernseys this year were great. The fact that Adidas never gave us a line of Adidas Originals tracksuits in Hawthorn colours also means they can bite me.

What don't you like about it?
The design it’s a poorer version of the original adidas one in that style , the stripes aren’t straight they taper off, the brown solid shoulder and the shades brown and gold themselves. We’ve always changed it up a bit to coincide with a new era 2008 we had the old black number on the white square which we wore in 2008 then when we won our 3 peat we had the current design which adidas came up with . Wouldn’t mind a change up again I saw a version of a hawks guernsey on a local junior team , stripes both back and front with a highlighted white number looked alright and something we’ve never done before. Dont mind Sketchers as a sponsor just don’t like what ISC have done to our guernsey.

People’s desperation to be a complete afterthought for a big multinational brand is bizarre. I love AF1s and Dunks - but couldn’t care less that Nike don’t have their logo on our guernsey. Nike have the entire NBA under their license - they aren’t going to give the slightest toss about an AFL club under their banner. The last 3-4 Adidas home jumpers were just phoning it in rehashes of the year prior - it wasn’t overly exciting. ISC have brought back the long sleeves for those who like them, the Big Hawk last year that I see a fair few people wearing and our Indigenous guernseys this year were great. The fact that Adidas never gave us a line of Adidas Originals tracksuits in Hawthorn colours also means they can bite me.
Looks like Adidas have stepped back from AFL anyway. I like the Puma range they’ve done a great job with Richmond in particular. Sketchers are just the sponsor nothing wrong with that although as someone pointed out they actually do have a range football boots these days and at $239 per pair they’re far from a cheap and nasty product. I think some of the shoes they’ve bought out in the past particularly for men have damaged their brand somewhat though .

The design it’s a poorer version of the original adidas one in that style , the stripes aren’t straight they taper off, the brown solid shoulder and the shades brown and gold themselves. We’ve always changed it up a bit to coincide with a new era 2008 we had the old black number on the white square which we wore in 2008 then when we won our 3 peat we had the current design which adidas came up with . Wouldn’t mind a change up again I saw a version of a hawks guernsey on a local junior team , stripes both back and front with a highlighted white number looked alright and something we’ve never done before. Dont mind Sketchers as a sponsor just don’t like what ISC have done to our guernsey.
Fair enough on the design gripes.

Honestly I’m not sure how it works in terms of the design variations for the traditional home jumpers. My guess is they vary it just enough to make it distinct so that collectors will buy it. I doubt they’re made without consultation and approval from the club so the jumper manufacturer is probably largely irrelevant here.

Maybe write an email to the club stating the design elements you do or don’t want to see next time and how it factors into your decision to purchase. Ultimately complaints on here probably don’t change much.

Honestly I’m not sure how it works in terms of the design variations for the traditional home jumpers. My guess is they vary it just enough to make it distinct so that collectors will buy it. I doubt they’re made without consultation and approval from the club so the jumper manufacturer is probably largely irrelevant here.

Maybe write an email to the club stating the design elements you do or don’t want to see next time and how it factors into your decision to purchase. Ultimately complaints on here probably don’t change much.

Better yet - make a design yourself and submit it to the club. Didn't someone do that off the cuff a few years ago and it got made into our alternate strip for a while?

Be an interesting exercise if they consulted fans to suggest a new variation of the B&G stripes , not sure you’re aware but the current PA black and teal and white V design guernsey was the result of a competition they ran and a 9 yr old girl came up with that winning design although they’ve since changed the number on the back from her all black with white number idea .

My post was meant to be replying to this comment sorry .

Be proactive - if there’s something you think would look better just suggest it. I, among others, told the club that retiring the 1 guernsey was stupid and a player should have it and they listened.

Be proactive - if there’s something you think would look better just suggest it. I, among others, told the club that retiring the 1 guernsey was stupid and a player should have it and they listened.
I know this is a Box Hill jumper but imagine this number format on the back of our main jumper with brown and gold stripes I’ve seen it looks really good .

Attachments

• IMG_2061.png
    IMG_2061.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
Bit off topic but just watching boomers vs USA and Embid is wearing Sketchers, didn’t even know they had basketball shoes .
I'm pretty sure the Joel Embiid sponsorship was brought up a few times in this thread as to why Skechers aren't that embarrassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure the Joel Embiid sponsorship was brought up a few times in this thread as to why Skechers aren't that embarrassing.

I have done so, yes. They also have a lifetime deal with Harry Kane and just re-upped with Clayton Kershaw in the MLB. The brand obviously doesn't see itself as being just comfy shoes for nurses forever - I am glad we are on the ground floor with them.

I think the Skechers / embarassing thing is more historic. They used to be known as a bit of a joke / discount brand and still are a bit (particularly in the states). My son who's in his mid teens and obsessed with street clothing etc always makes fun of the fact we now have Skechers as our logo, and I guess prob some of our players do too.

But I think it's clear they've made a strategic move away from that old reputation. People forget that Nike was considered a bit of joke too early in the 1980s. Jordan wanted nothing to do with them originally.

I think the Skechers / embarassing thing is more historic. They used to be known as a bit of a joke / discount brand and still are a bit (particularly in the states). My son who's in his mid teens and obsessed with street clothing etc always makes fun of the fact we now have Skechers as our logo, and I guess prob some of our players do too.

But I think it's clear they've made a strategic move away from that old reputation. People forget that Nike was considered a bit of joke too early in the 1980s. Jordan wanted nothing to do with them originally.

Ditto New Balance, mostly due to your Dad's BBQ shoes, the 624's.

Now a very reputable sports fashion brand.

Gee there was a period in the 80s were these were worn a fair bit

Together with their Volleys, these were Dunlops bread butter
My god how things have changedView attachment 2051767
I thought I always knew what popular fashion looked like, but the shite kids wear these days is enough for me to get the funbags snipped.

Mullets, moustaches, baggy pants are back in apparently.. there's no discernable style; it's vomit from the 80's through to 2005, and I'm not here for it.

I thought I always knew what popular fashion looked like, but the shite kids wear these days is enough for me to get the funbags snipped.

Mullets, moustaches, baggy pants are back in apparently.. there's no discernable style; it's vomit from the 80's through to 2005, and I'm not here for it.
season 13 GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back