Portfolio Hawthorn Clash Jumper Alternative

Remove this Banner Ad

It is general courtesy to not create a new jumper that creates a clash. We are not on any high horse, Hawthorn had to change their colours when it joined the VFA because of Williamstown wearing Blue and Gold.

And I'm damn glad we don't use that theory these days or how much fun would Gold Coast and GWS have had picking colours.
The Suns sat down and said "well, we're the Suns. So, red?"
The AFL said "nope, clashes with Sydney and Brisbane"
"How about gold?" "Nope. Clashes with Hawthorn's piss and West Coast's home"
"How about light blue? For the sky?" "Nope. Bulldogs wear a lighter blue and so do the Eagles away"
"Well, can we wear green?" "Nahh sorry, reserved that for the umpires"
"Well. How shall we form an identity us as the Suns?"

The Eagles do wear the royal blue jumper as a home jumper. As can be seen below when West Coast played Geelong at Paterson Stadium this year. This is done because of the history of the two West Coast Grand Final victories, wearing that Royal Blue and Gold Wings jumper.
That's not a home jumper. That's a one-off jumper. Hence the old logo and the names underneath it on the front.

And I'm damn glad we don't use that theory these days or how much fun would Gold Coast and GWS have had picking colours.
The Suns sat down and said "well, we're the Suns. So, red?"
The AFL said "nope, clashes with Sydney and Brisbane"
"How about gold?" "Nope. Clashes with Hawthorn's piss and West Coast's home"
"How about light blue? For the sky?" "Nope. Bulldogs wear a lighter blue and so do the Eagles away"
"Well, can we wear green?" "Nahh sorry, reserved that for the umpires"
"Well. How shall we form an identity us as the Suns?"

When the Dockers or the Power or the Giants sat down to pick there colours.
Fremantle choose Purple and Green, two colours that weren't worn by other clubs,
Port Adelaide added Teal, a colour that wasn't used at the time,
Greater Western Sydney choose Orange and Charcoal, two colours that aren't worn by other clubs.

One new club doesn't follow the others and everyone can do what they want to. We want there to be less occasions were jumper clashes occur. Why create more when introducing a new home jumper. The supporters haven't fallen in love with the jumper yet because they haven't seen it yet.

Your not trying to cause more arguments by referring to Hawthorn's Gold as Piss.

When the Dockers or the Power or the Giants sat down to pick there colours.
Fremantle choose Purple and Green, two colours that weren't worn by other clubs,
Port Adelaide added Teal, a colour that wasn't used at the time,
Greater Western Sydney choose Orange and Charcoal, two colours that aren't worn by other clubs.

One new club doesn't follow the others and everyone can do what they want to. We want there to be less occasions were jumper clashes occur. Why create more when introducing a new home jumper. The supporters haven't fallen in love with the jumper yet because they haven't seen it yet.

Your not trying to cause more arguments by referring to Hawthorn's Gold as Piss.

Freo has since cut out the green and their purple is close enough to the shades of blue that even before they got rid of red and green they clashed with Carlton et al
Port added teal but still wore so much black and white that remember they still clashed with Collingwood (training-jumper-in-an-AFL-game debarcle) and then were allowed to change to all black which clashes with, um, nearly everyone.
GWS wears charcoal which is close enough to black that remember how it looked when they played Richmond at Skoda?

And I'm not the first on this thread to refer to the "piss and poo" recently but I apologise, I used it within the satirical context of my post as a whole.

Against Geelong again in a Preliminary Final. Royal Blue with Gold wings again, and it isn't a heritage jumper.
The Eagles often wear the royal with wings in finals. Seems about 60--40 to me, wings--tripanel.
They have elected their Tripanel deisgn as their home kit. So in the premiership season, heritage jumpers excluded, they wear tripanel at home. The AFL has kept the "home team gets home guernsey" rule, even if they play with shorts to reduce/remove clashes.

Freo has since cut out the green and their purple is close enough to the shades of blue that even before they got rid of red and green they clashed with Carlton et al
Port added teal but still wore so much black and white that remember they still clashed with Collingwood (training-jumper-in-an-AFL-game debarcle) and then were allowed to change to all black which clashes with, um, nearly everyone.
GWS wears charcoal which is close enough to black that remember how it looked when they played Richmond at Skoda?

And I'm not the first on this thread to refer to the "piss and poo" recently but I apologise, I used it within the satirical context of my post as a whole.

The three examples I showed were when clubs were starting up, but with Port it was only in the AFL. These changes to Port's and Freo's jumpers have been made by the club's which aren't being pushed by the AFL as they were when they started.

The orange of GWS is clearly a different colour to colours of other teams.

It is just courtesy to try to avoid jumpers clashing with other teams. I am just saying it would be a courtesy to other teams, it doesn't mean it is done. Collingwood's jumper never clashed with Carlton's or Essendon's or Richmond's since the Magpies started in 1892, but they change to white stripes on black and force others to wear clash jumpers. This is the same Collingwood that never changes their jumper, but some how it started to clash.

What is needed is the AFL to not allow changes to teams home or normal jumpers if it creates a clash with another team. The AFL is a league of 18 teams so you are going to have the occurance of jumper clashes, but club's should be allowed to create new ones when changing their home or normal jumper. Each club is different, so should their jumper be as well.

But what I don't think you're seeing is, Hawthorn's guernsey is still different to the Eagles', even if the latter has a large amount of a similar colour.

I'm not going to say any more though because I really feel like my views aren't being listened to and your responses are just further pushing of your own view without consideration of what is being said. That's not a discussion so I'm out.

Against Geelong again in a Preliminary Final. Royal Blue with Gold wings again, and it isn't a heritage jumper.
I don't get what point you're trying to get across here. E92 said West Coast do wear royal shorts in away matches and you just posted a photo of exactly that. We wear royal shorts in lots of away matches.

But what I don't think you're seeing is, Hawthorn's guernsey is still different to the Eagles', even if the latter has a large amount of a similar colour.

I'm not going to say any more though because I really feel like my views aren't being listened to and your responses are just further pushing of your own view without consideration of what is being said. That's not a discussion so I'm out.

My point is that we should not create more of a problem with clashing jumpers by allowing clubs to create more clashes. You like to watch Adelaide play in their Navy Blue, Red and Gold hoops and not in their clash jumper. So wouldn't it be better if the AFL stopped other clubs from creating more occassions when the Crows wear their clash jumper. I would prefer to see the Hawks play in their Gold jumpers with Brown stripes. The Eagle home jumper should have been designed so it didn't create a clash with the Hawthorn jumper.

An Eagle supporter wanted the Hawks to wear the clash jumper and not have the Eagles wear their Royal Blue jumper because the Eagles changed their jumper to what they have now. I am just making the point that the Eagles changed their jumper and created the clash. Fans prefer to see their clubs play in their normal jumpers and not clash jumpers.

Why allow other club's to create more of a problem than there is now. Limit the number of clashing jumpers to what it is now. If club's want to change their jumper to something that clashes with another club's, then they have to wear an alternate jumper at home.

Isn't the saying first in best dressed. If a club wants to change they should fit around other clubs. The other club had a jumper that didn't clash, why should they suffer?

My point is that we should not create more of a problem with clashing jumpers by allowing clubs to create more clashes. You like to watch Adelaide play in their Navy Blue, Red and Gold hoops and not in their clash jumper. So wouldn't it be better if the AFL stopped other clubs from creating more occassions when the Crows wear their clash jumper. I would prefer to see the Hawks play in their Gold jumpers with Brown stripes. The Eagle home jumper should have been designed so it didn't create a clash with the Hawthorn jumper.

An Eagle supporter wanted the Hawks to wear the clash jumper and not have the Eagles wear their Royal Blue jumper because the Eagles changed their jumper to what they have now. I am just making the point that the Eagles changed their jumper and created the clash. Fans prefer to see their clubs play in their normal jumpers and not clash jumpers.

Why allow other club's to create more of a problem than there is now. Limit the number of clashing jumpers to what it is now. If club's want to change their jumper to something that clashes with another club's, then they have to wear an alternate jumper at home.

Isn't the saying first in best dressed. If a club wants to change they should fit around other clubs. The other club had a jumper that didn't clash, why should they suffer?

And yet I see, time after time, Eagles fans wishing they could have the wings as the home...

There is no first in best dressed rule in the AFL, if a club wants to change its jumper to something that does clash then it's the away teams responsibility to avoid the clash no matter how long they've been in the league for.

There is no first in best dressed rule in the AFL, if a club wants to change its jumper to something that does clash then it's the away teams responsibility to avoid the clash no matter how long they've been in the league for.
so could Port wear the prison bars jumper at home against collingwood then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so could Port wear the prison bars jumper at home against collingwood then?
The reason we weren't allowed to wear prison bars had nothing to do with clashing with Collingwood (our guernsey was predominately black whereas theirs was white). It's the fact that we had the same colours (and same stripes design) as them and that they are pricks. Collingwood do wear a clash v us when they come to AAMI ftr.

Just slapped it on a Jumper. Not sure it works though o_O

Screenshot2012-11-18at41842PM.png

this has to be sent to the hawthorn footy club! NOW!

So when we adopt a new home jumper we have to make sure it doesnt clash with hawthorn? Get off your ****ing high horse and just wear your clash jumper like you should. Hawthorn created the problem in 2009 by not wearing their clash and wore the poo and piss instead. Our home game, our rules. If you don't like it, **** off.

That's the typical response people seem to think makes sense to them, so it should to everyone else, but in reality has no basis in fairness, reason or common sense.
All it smacks of is misplaced arrogance, conceit and a disregard for anything other than their own preferences. It also disregards corporate branding and position.
"I want to do whatever the hell I like, and you have to bend to my will because I should be allowed to do whatever the hell I like".
It makes far more sense to create something unique, as wizard showed above was done by Freo, Port and GWS when they came in.
West Coast should not have been allowed by the AFL Licensing Dept (who own the jumpers) to adopt the tri-panel jumper.

That's the typical response people seem to think makes sense to them, so it should to everyone else, but in reality has no basis in fairness, reason or common sense.
All it smacks of is misplaced arrogance, conceit and a disregard for anything other than their own preferences. It also disregards corporate branding and position.
"I want to do whatever the hell I like, and you have to bend to my will because I should be allowed to do whatever the hell I like".
It makes far more sense to create something unique, as wizard showed above was done by Freo, Port and GWS when they came in.
West Coast should not have been allowed by the AFL Licensing Dept (who own the jumpers) to adopt the tri-panel jumper.
To be fair, that was seven months ago and I must of been in a bad mood. Pretty embarrassing, tbh.

Another problem is the current "away team = white shorts" rules, which appears to have been re-adopted again after last season. For example, North and Geelong (who both have predominantly WHITE jumpers with Blue stripes/hoops, have started wearing blue shorts again vs dark/black teams (eg Essendon and Carlton in white shorts vs Geelong). Or even Hawthorn's brown with gold stripes jumper, which appears to be their adopted away jumper for this year (hopefully this will be revised next season).

Geelong and North, unless playing Sydney or Gold Coast, shouldn't be allowed to wear dark colour shorts, because they're not dark teams.

West Coast's Tri-Panel causes a lot of problems. When they face one direction, the jumper looks dark (on the navy side with navy shorts). When they face the other side, it looks light, which is further alleviated when they wear white shorts with it.

Sorry but the current clash hawk is miles better than yours. Your illustration is far too detailed to look good from a distance.
Target audience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Portfolio Hawthorn Clash Jumper Alternative

Remove this Banner Ad

Back