Hawthorn FC worst nightmare the 2017 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's a genius then he can do it again.

Almost half of the freaking competition plays in the finals. How could you possibly fail to comprehend that I was referring to premiership windows?

Congratulations on owning the most innapropriate username in the history of bigfooty.
Contenders in 08 11 12 13 14 15

Six from ten. Conservatively

Like I said those are immortals and owned the comp for three years.

Considering we still have a substantial number of the three peaters left. Replacing half those about to depart might make us mere contenders
So you can grasp that guys like Hodge and Mitchell are immortals, yet you cant grasp that you wont be able to replace them.

Thowing away your first rounder on guys like McEvoy helped you win a flag, but will further impact now.

Free Agency is a myth with Hawthorn, you guys have lost more talent than you have bought in...guys like Frawley and Vickery aren't going to get it done.

How are you expecting to compete with teams on the rise like GWS, Dogs and the Dees, who both already torched you last year and who have been stock piling the best young kids for years?

So you can grasp that guys like Hodge and Mitchell are immortals, yet you cant grasp that you wont be able to replace them.

Thowing away your first rounder on guys like McEvoy helped you win a flag, but will further impact now.

Free Agency is a myth with Hawthorn, you guys have lost more talent than you have bought in...guys like Frawley and Vickery aren't going to get it done.

How are you expecting to compete with teams on the rise like GWS, Dogs and the Dees, who both already torched you last year and who have been stock piling the best young kids for years?

Who knows but we'll have a go. They might just screw it up like they have many times

Any way we get it. Our players don't cut it until they retire. When they instantly take on immortal status

Any way we get it. Our players don't cut it until they retire. When they instantly take on immortal status
Give the woe is Hawthorn sthick a rest mate.

The club and its chamion Hawrhorn players have been, deservedly, lauded for the last few seasons.

The superlatives lavished by commentators over 'Silk' and 'Delicious' and even a role player like 'Poppy' is sickening at times.

Roughy, Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell, Gibson, Birchall, Burgoyne, Rioli are club legends...a couple league champions.

People are questioning whether 'triple premiership players' like I.Smith, Gunston and Breust can actually take over dominant senior roles.

Give the woe is Hawthorn sthick a rest mate.

The club and its chamion Hawrhorn players have been, deservedly, lauded for the last few seasons.

The superlatives lavished by commentators over 'Silk' and 'Delicious' and even a role player like 'Poppy' is sickening at times.

Roughy, Hodge, Lewis, Mitchell, Gibson, Birchall, Burgoyne, Rioli are club legends...a couple league champions.

People are questioning whether 'triple premiership players' like I.Smith, Gunston and Breust can actually take over dominant senior roles.
I'd imagine rough birch and Rioli won't be shafted just yet poppy might
Strats Gunston Bruest smith of the three peters. Seven is s fair number to build around especially if Frawley Mitchell Omeara can stop being shit for five minutes of football

Gibson Burgoyne were traded in where they were under used at their club

Sure it might never happen but to suggest it is impossible or require years of tanking is not right either

I'd imagine rough birch and Rioli won't be shafted just yet poppy might
Strats Gunston Bruest smith of the three peters. Seven is s fair number to build around especially if Frawley Mitchell Omeara can stop being shit for five minutes of football
My contention is just that, the Hawks are doing what you are and seeing the names and they still thought they would be around the mark ans challenging in 2017.

They didnt want to lose both Mitchell and Lewis, they thought they would be playing finals again in 2017.

They got it wrong, and now find themselves miles off the pace with a group of players who dont trust what they are being asked to do.

IGibson Burgoyne were traded in where they were under used at their club
Gibson was an amazing trade. Hale also qorked out well coz North had too many rucks.

Burgoyne was hardly underused and Port received two first round picks and a player when he left.
Sure it might never happen but to suggest it is impossible or require years of tanking is not right either
2017 isnt tanking...it is a club not understanding where their list is at.

Love the punters predicting doom and gloom. Truth is no one has a crystal ball. Doggies came from the clouds only two years ago and not one of you predicted that! Pffffft.

Where do you see Hawks finishing end of 2017 and 2018?

I see Hawks finishing 7-10 in both years but I see a gradual decline every year. Would depend on the health of JOM and if both him and Tom Mitchell develop and if Hawks can get lucky with free agency

My contention is just that, the Hawks are doing what you are and seeing the names and they still thought they would be around the mark ans challenging in 2017.

They didnt want to lose both Mitchell and Lewis, they thought they would be playing finals again in 2017.

They got it wrong, and now find themselves miles off the pace with a group of players who dont trust what they are being asked to do.

Gibson was an amazing trade. Hale also qorked out well coz North had too many rucks.

Burgoyne was hardly underused and Port received two first round picks and a player when he left.

2017 isnt tanking...it is a club not understanding where their list is at.

I don't and they probably thought losing Mitchell and Lewis bringing in Mitchell and Omeara would involve some kind of transition

Maybe finals if it works out but a way off the pace. But they won't be on their own this year. Sydney etc. a way behind the eventual premiers

So I'm not buying they planned or executed badly

4 Rounds in, the rebuild is a failure. Do you want to be the first to call it? I think you might pip everyone else. :D

"Unlike Sydney, Hawthorn are not playing their youth."

Under 20 games played(this weeks teams).
Sydney -
Marsh - 11 games
Melican - 0 games
Hayward - 3 games
Foote - 4 games
Newman(emerg) - 3 games

Hawthorn -
Burton - 7 games
Brand - 13 games
O'Brien - 19 games
Howe - 15 games
Hardwick - 2 games
Stewart (emerg) - 4 games

Rounds 1-4
Hawthorn 0 3 3 4 = 10
Sydney 4 7 8 7 = 26

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really not much point comparing to Sydney. Another club determined that bottoming out is not desirable.
Played more youngsters cos they have a few more injuries
I'm simply proving that the idea that Sydney have played kids while Hawthorn have not is a myth.

Sydney - 32 players used in 2017
Marsh - 11 games
Melican - 0 games
Hayward - 3 games
Foote - 4 games
Newman(emerg) - 3 games

Hawthorn - 31 players used in 2017
Burton - 7 games
Brand - 13 games
O'Brien - 19 games
Howe - 15 games
Hardwick - 2 games

Can we consider Hartung and O'Rourke as write offs now, or will they be a part of Clarkos next 4 flags?

End of the year if they haven't shown anything absolutely.....I feel sorry for O'Rourke as he had a really good pre season then pinged his hammy as the JLT was about to start. Came back last week and had 25 for Box Hill in 3/4. Hope to see him in the seniors soon as we need to make a call on him. Billy is the same, he should have the wing locked down but is just too inconsistent.

I'm simply proving that the idea that Sydney have played kids while Hawthorn have not is a myth.

Sydney - 32 players used in 2017
Marsh - 11 games
Melican - 0 games
Hayward - 3 games
Foote - 4 games
Newman(emerg) - 3 games

Hawthorn - 31 players used in 2017
Burton - 7 games
Brand - 13 games
O'Brien - 19 games
Howe - 15 games
Hardwick - 2 games
Why are you only looking at the r5 named teams?

Florent and Marsh have played all 4 games so far.

Alliir, Fox, Foote, Hayward and Newman have all played in 3 of the 4 games so far.

Sydney have been playing the kids...Hewett, and Mills also played all 4 and they in the 20 games mark.

15 Hawks have played all 4 games so far, Langford the least experienced and he is a 50 gamer.

Burton the only kid to get 3 games to date at the Hawks.

This is a team made up of Hawks who played 3 or more games to date in 2017

Henderson, Frawley, Stratton
Hodge, Gibson, Burgoyne
Smith, Shiels, JOM
Breust, Roughy, Gunston
Rioli, Vickery, Poppy
McEvoy, T.Mitchell, Langford

Int Burton

Hawks playing the kids!!

Why are you only looking at the r5 named teams?

Florent and Marsh have played all 4 games so far.

Alliir, Fox, Foote, Hayward and Newman have all played in 3 of the 4 games so far.

Sydney have been playing the kids...Hewett, and Mills also played all 4 and they in the 20 games mark.

15 Hawks have played all 4 games so far, Langford the least experienced and he is a 50 gamer.

Burton the only kid to get 3 games to date at the Hawks.

This is a team made up of Hawks who played 3 or more games to date in 2017

Henderson, Frawley, Stratton
Hodge, Gibson, Burgoyne
Smith, Shiels, JOM
Breust, Roughy, Gunston
Rioli, Vickery, Poppy
McEvoy, T.Mitchell, Langford

Int Burton

Hawks playing the kids!!

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Seriously wonder how many Hawks will retire during the season if it keeps going like this?

I'll be amazed if all of burger, Gibson, roughead, birchall and hodge are still there by Seasons end.

A partial team using Sydney guys who have played 3 or more games to date in 2017, but have played less than 25 games at rhe start of the season

B - Marsh
HB - Mills, Allir, Newman
C - Hewett, Florent
HF - Fox
F - Hayward
Foll - Naismith, Foote

Longmire is clearly actually playing plenty of kids, more than he would have wanted due to absence of senior players...surprising they have actually been competitive at all.

The equivalent Hawthorn team

B -
HB - Burton
C -
HF -
F -
FOLL -

A partial team using Sydney guys who have played 3 or more games to date in 2017, but have played less than 25 games at rhe start of the season

B - Marsh
C - Hewett, Florent
HF - Fox
F - Hayward
Foll - Naismith, Foote

Longmire is clearly actually playing plenty of kids, more than he would have wanted due to absence of senior players...surprising they have actually been competitive at all.

B -
HB - Burton
C -
HF -
F -
FOLL -
Personally i am frustrated the club haven't given some of the younger players more of a go.

Brought a couple more in the last few weeks at least.

B - Marsh
C - Hewett, Florent
HF - Fox
F - Hayward
Foll - Naismith, Foote

B -
HB - Burton
C -
HF -
F -
FOLL -

I just don't understand why they have to have played 3 games this year? Seems to be manipulating the criteria to try and prove a stupid point...

We have played 8 kids in the first 5 rounds with less than 20 games....I expect that number to increase as the season progresses and Clarko concedes our season is shot.

Sydney's hand has been forced due to injury so it's a dumb comparison

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn FC worst nightmare the 2017 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back