News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong. Hawks did what they had to do by the rules of the AFL.
Correct. For reference below, once the HFC had the report outlining serious allegations they were duty bound by the AFL’s protocol to hand over the report to the AFL integrity unit.

I will pin this post, as it seems to be a constant query.

3FB2C172-49CC-4619-8AE6-C93597A89870.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you read the statement of claim? Page 21

"In or about July 2019:
(a) Mr Peterson took his young family members – his stepson, his two sons, and
Ms Rotumah’s younger brother – to Hawthorn’s training facilities;
(b) while there, they incidentally met Mr Clarkson;
(c) Mr Clarkson pinned Mr Peterson’s son LP up against the wall with his forearm
on LP’s chest and his hand gripping LP’s shirt."

LP is the boy Clarkson, Burt and Fagan suggested be aborted.

I’m trying to be insensitive when I say this - I just find that claim so hard to believe. Pinning a what - 9 year old boy against a wall?

Last edited:

I’m trying to be as insensitive when I say this - I just find that claim so hard to believe. Pinning a what - 9 year old boy against a wall?
Without all the facts which we might never get I guess it’s who / what you choose to believe. Is Clarko a monster or are some / all the players lying. Either way this is some ugly stuff.

The question is does this make Clarko a racist? I am not convinced this makes Clarko racist. I feel he would have this kind of conversation with any of his players.

Sam Mitchell even wrote about an issues with Clarko, access to a mobile and his hospitalised new borns.

I do agree it is over stepping the mark though!
No thats not the question at all.

The question is did the HFC do everything in its power provide a (culturally) safe environment for these players.

Quite clearly, based on the length of the log of claims, that seems quite unlikely.

Just to add, this is the discrimination linked to that claim. Point (b) seems to add a little more context but it's vague and there's probably more context missing if it was part of a larger event.

212. Further or alternatively, the act pleaded in [70(c)]:

(a) constituted Mr Clarkson treating Mr Peterson, and his family, in a domineering and inappropriate manner (domineering conduct);

(b) involved a distinction, restriction, or preference based on race (viz, Mr Peterson’s Aboriginality), in that the child of a non-Aboriginal person would not be pinned to the wall by a Hawthorn employee in the presence of that non-Aboriginal person;

(c) had the effect of nullifying or impairing Mr Peterson’s recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of a human right in the economic and/or cultural fields of public life, being the right to private life (including to personal integrity, privacy, autonomy, reputation, family);

(d) would be unlawful by reason of s 9(1) of the RD Act if it were done by Hawthorn;

(e) by reason of s 18A of the RD Act, is treated for the purposes of the RD Act as though Hawthorn had also engaged in it;

(f) is unlawful conduct of Hawthorn within the meaning of s 9(1) of the RD Act.

The question is did the HFC do everything in its power provide a (culturally) safe environment for these players.

Quite clearly, based on the length of the log of claims, that seems quite unlikely.
HFC were ahead of its time and a leader in this area. The Statement makes for even harder reading with this in mind.

Heh. Ok, yes, being it has Kennett and has been in the press before. Yes i expected them to highlight this and then get him to bite for a headline driving quote or two. The fact that you didn't expect this behaviour is more surprising than me expecting it.

It would be far more likely that someone would write a hit piece outlining Kennett's ownership of a golliwog wearing a number 23 jumper that he'd nicknamed 'Buddy' after our great indigenous player.

A grown man openly carrying 'Buddy' the golliwog to matches, talking about about 'Buddy' to the media etc. is the story you'd write.

I highly doubt Kennett was dumb enough to be ignorant what the slang meaning of golliwog is.

You don't need to mention the ripped jeans. Things are a little more out in the open than that.

That’s another good question. However until we have heard from the HFC on this matter how can you be so sure?

Andy Gowers & Clarkson has stated there is paper work at the club on these matters. It will be interesting to what the club can defend / prove on their side of things.

Have you read the statement of claim? Page 21

"In or about July 2019:
(a) Mr Peterson took his young family members – his stepson, his two sons, and
Ms Rotumah’s younger brother – to Hawthorn’s training facilities;
(b) while there, they incidentally met Mr Clarkson;
(c) Mr Clarkson pinned Mr Peterson’s son LP up against the wall with his forearm
on LP’s chest and his hand gripping LP’s shirt."

LP is the boy Clarkson, Burt and Fagan suggested be aborted.

Is it fair to assume that, in 2019, Mr Peterson didn't feel unsafe by returning, with his family, to the club?

Allegation C really needs to be addressed in court. Either completely horrific or an horrific lie / stretch.

Can someone explain to me how Grant Birchall is not a defendant with the allegations against him?

How could he not be aware? he was in the room.
You’re missing my point. As in before the meeting, perhaps he wasn’t aware that these allegations were going to be raised IN the meeting.
I can’t see Clarkson, beforehand saying to the others, “right, I’m gonna tell this campaigner to terminate the kid”, and the others saying righto Clarko.

Can someone explain to me how Grant Birchall is not a defendant with the allegations against him?

There is only one respondent (defendant) - the HFC.
Birchall, Clarkson, Fagan and others are not parties to the proceeding.

The club is vicariously liable for the conduct of its employees (including Birchall).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm. Starts troll account with the name of a bonafide foot in mouth, meathead fighter as handle. Waltzes into sensitive debate with moron level logic, false equivalency etc.

Maybe find another hobby, and GAGF instead?

Perhaps you'd be more at home on the board of the club you support.
Yeah really odd choice, Strickland is not only a meathead but doesn’t shy away from the odd racist comment either.

The most recent being a Palestinian fighter looks like the reason he has to take his shoes off at the airport.

No doubt if even half of what is being put forward is substantiated, that the powers in place at HFC at the time did not create a culturally safe environment for all of our Indigenous players. This is disappointing!

Think the distinction needs to be made that professional sport is still a professional workplace, there is no way any employee would be okay with their employer involving themselves in their personal life unless invited to do so.

I do believe there are many systemic racism undertones by the HFC at play at the time that need accounting for. As for the club in it's current state and moving forward, the hope is that lessons are learnt from this unfortunate period culturally speaking.

I don’t know what rock you a living under if you think this comment was hard trolling

The post is merely pointing out how ridiculous your hack legal analysis of this case is.

You literally say the length of the log of claims means the club is likely liable, what a joke!!! If you throw enough mud some will eventually stick I guess…..
You clearly wagged school the days that they taught probabilities and reading comprehension.

No doubt if even half of what is being put forward is substantiated, that the powers in place at HFC at the time did not create a culturally safe environment for all of our Indigenous players. This is disappointing!

Think the distinction needs to be made that professional sport is still a professional workplace, there is no way any employee would be okay with their employer involving themselves in their personal life unless invited to do so.

I do believe there are many systemic racism undertones by the HFC at play at the time that need accounting for. As for the club in it's current state and moving forward, the hope is that lessons are learnt from this unfortunate period culturally speaking.
I would say that the club has indeed improved in this area based on how they tried to look after Brocky when he was here.

The elephant in the room here however is the fact that since JML was drafted and a lot of the guts of these accusations occurred, we have only drafted one indigenous player. That's one indigenous player in 10 years. I'm guessing that wouldn't stack up particularly well against the rest of the league.

There is only one respondent (defendant) - the HFC.
Birchall, Clarkson, Fagan and others are not parties to the proceeding.

The club is vicariously liable for the conduct of its employees (including Birchall).
Although to test the truth or otherwise of the allegations Clarkson/Fagan/Burt/Others will all have to be called upon to appear in court and be cross examined. Maybe not Birchall as it doesn't appear the incident involving him is in dispute.

I would say that the club has indeed improved in this area based on how they tried to look after Brocky when he was here.

The elephant in the room here however is the fact that since JML was drafted and a lot of the guts of these accusations occurred, we have only drafted one indigenous player. That's one indigenous player in 10 years. I'm guessing that wouldn't stack up particularly well against the rest of the league.

We’ve also recuited multiple Indigenous players however - Wingard, Amon, Impey. I don’t think it’s quite the elephant you make out - it’s not as if we have clearly avoided a prodigiously talented Indigenous kid in that time.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Hawthorn Racism Review - No player name speculation - opposition posters tread very carefully

Remove this Banner Ad

Back