Review The most idiotic media call about Hawthorns rebuild

Who deserves the most ridicule about how Hawthorn has gone about the rebuild since three-peting?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Montagna was almost spitting vitriol when he outlined what was going to be a ten year plan for us.

Purple kept ramming his foot down his throat, deeper and deeper.

It was a cacophony of stupid. Granted, they do like to build intrigue.

But the days of reporting on what is actually happening, vs. what you hope might happen, or what you think should happen are clearly gone.

At least until this crop of monkeys with typewriters and microphones are replaced by practiced, educated and insightful footy analysts and actual newshounds.

Sadly it's symptomatic of issues with the the larger media landscape. We need laws to catch up, reform to happen, and social media to either be policed better, or disappear down the drain for change to take place.

Probably an ironic post on that front. But these clowns wouldn't be performing the way they do if the media genie hadn't jumped out of the bottle over the last 20 years or so.

Last edited:
Why would anyone vote for Cornes? He's our biggest fan. He was on us before anyone else was.

That dickhead, Barrett is the correct answer to this question.
now he is

for 2 years he was doubling down saying we have the worst list in the comp by miles ....2 years he was insisting on this

Now yes he s been smart enough to do a massive 360

He said that we had absolutely no youth and the rebuild would take 10 years. Also said Sam would get sacked before he got a chance to even show if he could coach or not.

He also criticised us for getting “nothing” from the Mitchell and JOM trades and at the start of last year said that we were telling the world “we had no hope and are tanking”.

Then a few rounds into the 23 season he was calling us the most “irrelevant” team in the comp.

Did a complete 180 since then and rightly so but let’s not have short memories.
this re Kane Cornes ^^^

This might be the most intelligently created stupid comment that I have ever read.
I tried to find something to reply to, but could not.
TMSq .. stop using AI. ... or use it better.
Not sure if serious, it's all fingers and brain, or lack thereof depending on your perspective.

But somewhere a Russian troll farm is celebrating this blurring of lines between what is human, and what is not : (

Ok, maybe I over-reached... in terms of you

But your comments are out of order.
Spitting vitriol? Motagna never does. He presents what he sees. YOU see vitriol.

You went on to say that the reporters know nothing about AFL, most being past players and you are a bigfooty contributor.

Too many squibs?

find me a commentator that was a squib and I'll defend all but 1.

At the risk of sounding like a prick: maybe it's because I just have that much more insight into what I'm talking about.

Take a closer look at Montagna outlining that need for what is 'probably going to be a ten year plan'. That is not his usual MO I would agree, based on what I've seen of him over a decent sample size. Think about why he'd say that, and analyze his delivery.

He's passionately advocating the we're so crap and poorly run/coached/put together, that finals are a full AFL generation away. For a guy so level headed, he's sure enthusiastically pessimistic about our prospects for a decade.

To run with that take is to give a snarky opinion on a topic he couldn't have been more wrong on. Again, I would agree that is usually not his MO.

But I'll cut you some slack on that.

Actually no I won't, it was reported as 'a scathing attack' all over the footy landscape. A google search is your friend:

"You went on to say that the reporters know nothing about AFL, most being past players and you are a bigfooty contributor."

I didn't even come close to saying that. It's about as big a Straw Man hit as I've taken on this forum.

I'm not Robinson Crusoe in positing the idea that sensationalism and/or opinion drives the current AFL news cycle and its authors. We are regularly being drip fed crap opinions, and a lot of times it's absolutely from former players.

All of it is designed to get clicks, and if possible provoke enough outrage to generate feedback. By posters like you and I in places such as this one.

Watch Kane Cornes flip the script on us when it suits him, and all of us go back to commenting on what a prick he is.

He's a passionate consumer of Fox News for a reason, and I'll give you the tip: it's not for the politics.

Last edited:
now he is

for 2 years he was doubling down saying we have the worst list in the comp by miles ....2 years he was insisting on this

Now yes he s been smart enough to do a massive 360
180, perhaps?

180? Edit jet beat me to it.
Maybe a 540?

Awkward The Simpsons GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does what we did constitute a rebuild aren’t they those long difficult unsuccessful things?😉
I think what gets lost in the discussion about rebuilds is that if they take a long time they're actually 2 or 3 failed rebuilds.

I’m going to defend Montagna.

Not because I like him or really rate any insight he gives as a commentator. But in his dissertation on Hawthorn’s rebuilt, he didn’t say much that was wrong.
He said, when you go back to rebuilds, there’s a high failure rate and it becomes a long term exercise and inevitably the coach who starts that process is sacked well before the end of the exercise. In fact, historically, I can’t think of any coach for any side who was at the premiership end of the rebuild he started.

Then Montagna looked at history - and he was correct there. The sides who’ve had all of the priority picks have taken years to succeed. And with Sam, we didn’t have priority picks.

When Montagna made his statement we’d just been totally thrashed in the first 2 games of the year.
So, really, based on an historical analysis, what Montagna said, was basically correct. And as I recall there were plenty of posters on this site around that time who were agreeing that we were stuffed in the long term.
If he had been taking about North, or Essendon, or St Kilda, or Richmond, he would have been absolutely correct.

But Montagna didn’t taken into account 2 things.

First, he massively underrated the chap in control of our rebuild who’d be coaching our future team.

Secondly, while we didn’t have the priority picks that he referred to and that other sides had benefitted from, he didn’t appreciate, or couldn’t foresee, the fabulous recruiting we’ve done in the last 2 years - both in the draft and by trade. We all know who those players are because they’re starring every week.

But let’s not give a sucker an even break. Montagna’s an idiot !!!

I’m going to defend Montagna.

Not because I like him or really rate any insight he gives as a commentator. But in his dissertation on Hawthorn’s rebuilt, he didn’t say much that was wrong.
He said, when you go back to rebuilds, there’s a high failure rate and it becomes a long term exercise and inevitably the coach who starts that process is sacked well before the end of the exercise. In fact, historically, I can’t think of any coach for any side who was at the premiership end of the rebuild he started.

Then Montagna looked at history - and he was correct there. The sides who’ve had all of the priority picks have taken years to succeed. And with Sam, we didn’t have priority picks.

When Montagna made his statement we’d just been totally thrashed in the first 2 games of the year.
So, really, based on an historical analysis, what Montagna said, was basically correct. And as I recall there were plenty of posters on this site around that time who were agreeing that we were stuffed in the long term.
If he had been taking about North, or Essendon, or St Kilda, or Richmond, he would have been absolutely correct.

But Montagna didn’t taken into account 2 things.

First, he massively underrated the chap in control of our rebuild who’d be coaching our future team.

Secondly, while we didn’t have the priority picks that he referred to and that other sides had benefitted from, he didn’t appreciate, or couldn’t foresee, the fabulous recruiting we’ve done in the last 2 years - both in the draft and by trade. We all know who those players are because they’re starring every week.

But let’s not give a sucker an even break. Montagna’s an idiot !!!
The club certainly didn’t miss Montagna’s or Purples expert takes in its latest video release earlier tonight. Have a listen to the first 10 seconds of it.

Montagna thought he would lay the boots in. He has just been made to look completely idiotic. No two ways about it.

The club certainly didn’t miss Montagna’s or Purples expert takes in its latest video release earlier tonight. Have a listen to the first 10 seconds of it.

Montagna thought he would lay the boots in. He has just been made to look completely idiotic. No two ways about it.
The Jet From Poowong
Where can I find this video please?

I'm excited to see it.... And share it of course haha.

Does what we did constitute a rebuild aren’t they those long difficult unsuccessful things?😉
The stages are:
  • Denial
  • Acceptance
  • Getting the coach and list management staff working together
  • Finding out what weapons each player on the list has and how they can be utilised.
  • Recruiting to fill gaps
  • Give them a game plan that maximises their strengths
  • Let them play and enjoy life
The first 2 take the most time and angst, the drug pigs are still stuck at the first step.

I think what gets lost in the discussion about rebuilds is that if they take a long time they're actually 2 or 3 failed rebuilds.

I think too you need to recruit the right people, and have the right people in place to help them. In our previous rebuilds we seem to look at character first, skills secondary in our early primary targets. In our rebuild, we targeted Will Day, Josh Weddle, Cam McKenzie and Jai Newcomb. All strong characters. We then surrounded them with players like Dylan Moore, Luke Breust, Jack Gunston and James Sicily. So I think we develop culture first, that then transitions well into our development.

North got badly burned by the JHF pick. In the top 2 of the most talented player in 2021. Traded out in 2022. Rumours of ice baths, home sickness ect. Just a waste of a pick. He was always a flight risk. Would have been better to have drafted some one like Mac Andrew, while a slow burn, is going to be an absolute jet. Seems to have that don’t quit attitude that North desperately needs currently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The most idiotic media call about Hawthorns rebuild

Back