Review Hawthorn v North Round 5 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 28, 2011
Beyond Reproach
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
UAE Team Emirates
Missed shots all around really cost us: Daw, Petrie and Wright the chief offenders.

Excellent: Thompson, Swallow, Wells, Ziebell (for commitment and leadership as much as statistical influence)

Good: Cunnington, Anthony as sub, I thought Atley showed a lot.

Not Good: Hine.

Promising: Black (that second goal of his was the highlight of the match)

Other comments:
  • A flat game from Bastinac. A typical "almost" performance from him.
  • LT kicked 5 but didn't get much of it around the ground. Still, he had an important influence on the game.
  • That three year deal for MacMillan is looking better and better.
  • Gibson busted his arse again but burnt the ball far too often.
****, I'd have loved that. Mixed feelings to be honest. Our distribution going into forward 50 was certainly a matter of quantity over quality, but it's good to see we beat them in the middle.

As said in the other thread, our kick outs are just rubbish.

Press at the other end seemed effective

Today was just a golden opportunity we had the rub from the umps and hawks missed their chances too

Just hurts. I could kill a large amount of puppies right now, I'm that furious

Mcmahon one to forget

Seriously, we did absolutely everything right - but we lacked COMPOSURE.

Clear improvements on other weeks. That's two weeks running that we've not faded out. Hopefully we've learnt.

Hard to sit here and try and be positive because needless to say we really, really needed that scalp but to try and be sensible about it, I think we had a really good crack and who knows what could have happened if there were another 10 or so seconds on the clock. Thompson was amazing on Franklin and Spitta, Wellsy and Ziebz were just sheer awesome though the middle. Early on the forward line looked horrible with all three tall forwards going up at once and not spreading out or leading anywhere and I hate to say it but poor old Maj had a shocker which I think could be detrimental for his development right now. MacMillan played a good game I thought, his pressure acts were through the roof but I think Atley got well and truly beaten when playing on Rioli. Now for Lindsay Thomas, I dont care if he only got half a dozen touches, he kicked 5.1 and is one of our most important players right now. If we were playing any other team tonight we probably would have come away with a win and I couldn't be more ****in pissed off about the loss, but I hate losing a lot more when we lose through lack of effort, I think we really gave it everything tonight and I'm proud of how hard they pushed em, we can definitely walk away with our heads held high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best game by The coach since he's been at the club. Set up defensively really well.
Not sure why the coach is getting the credit, pretty sure his assistants have had a say in things.

Musings...

- I thought Bastinac struggled with the intensity today, was in the right spots but used it poorly.
- Daw, Black and Petrie got in each others way a lot, clearly the first time they have played together.
- Black offers a lot more than Hansen as the third tall, it's a toss up between Tarrant and Daw for 2nd.
- The midfield beat Hawthorn's today which was unexpected and fantastic to see; Swallow, Wells, Ziebell and Cunnington great in the middle.
- Hawthorn work so hard to provide short options and always had a 20m player free or on the lead, we need that work rate.
- Kudos to Thomas and his goalkicking, now most reliable in the team.
- I'm gutted, never expected to get that close but in those last 5 minutes man I wanted it; we must still target a 6-5 record at the turn.

Hawks are the flag favourites and were in red hot form coming into today's game, they smashed pies, eagles and dockers. Our boys should be proud. Still a young side and pushed them all the way. Finally gets a bit easier in the coming weeks.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back