Hawthorn's back line.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2010 premiership cup says who gives a feck what your team thinks we should be doing? :rolleyes:

You keep your wood and we'll keep our cup. Deal?
We won the cup in 08 but we at least beat our bogy sides no excuses that year. its perfectly ok to lose to bogy teams all the time and not acknowledge it is it? your not going to win the cup every year champ.

We won the cup in 08 but we at least beat our bogy sides no excuses that year. its perfectly ok to lose to bogy teams all the time and not acknowledge it is it? your not going to win the cup every year champ.
Oh I get it. I'm supposed to come in here and pump your tyres up because despite the fact that we won the premiership last year, clearly you were better. Sorry, what was I thinking? Clearly Hawthorn are the greatest team that ever was and we should all just give up and hand over the cup now.

Feeling better? :rolleyes:

The excuses are incredible. Those players wouldn't have made a difference to the result, and Collingwood were without four premiership players that night too. Collingwood soundly beat Hawthorn in Round 4 last season by 64 points which flattered the Hawks. That is all. Accept it for goodness sake.

No-one is suggesting the Hawthorn team that turned out in round 4 last year would get near Collingwood. That Hawthorn team couldn't be more different to the team running out at the moment. Not just in personnel, but in game plan too. Even Blind Freddy can see that...

Last year Mike Sheahan used to appear on Sports Today on 3AW every Wednesday night. The week following that match he said that he felt Collingwood were playing at 70% intensity, and that's because it was obvious. Even Blind Freddy could see that it was a glorified practice match to Collingwood and the players knew top spot was secured and the finals began the following week. Hawthorn on the other hand had to win to have a chance of hosting a final the following week.

Clarkson said after the game he fully expected to be playing in Perth the next week - he expected (as did most) Sydney to account for Brisbane later that night.

If Collingwood were truly not caring about the game, they would have rested players, just as Freo did against Hawthorn just a few weeks earlier. Fact is, they didn't want to lose to a team that they might had to play against in just a few weeks time - why would you give a team that mental edge? Answer is, you wouldn't.

I don't remember it, but that's understandable considering Collingwood wasted many more opportunities than Hawthorn did that day considering we had seven more scoring shots in a three point loss. It didn't matter though because it was a meaningless practice match to one of the teams.

And here is the issue with all your posts - you're uninformed.

The fact is, Ellis wasn't good enough to ice the game.

The fact is, Beams wasn't good enough to win you the game.

The fact is, in round 22 2010 Collingwood weren't good enough to beat Hawthorn.

The fact is, the result of round 22 2010 will have no impact on the results in 2011.

The fact is, the result of round 4 2010 will have no impact on the results in 2011.

Clearly Hawthorn are the greatest team that ever was and we should all just give up and hand over the cup now.

Finally this thread gets back on topic! Probably a bit early to make that call, but I see where you're coming from. I hear our back line seems to be holding up well this year too :D. With some luck, we might get to see how they hold up deep into the finals.

Finally this thread gets back on topic! Probably a bit early to make that call, but Collingwood certainly seem better than Hawthorn so far. I hear our back line seems to be pretty sh1t this year too :D. With some luck, we might get to see how they hold up deep into the finals in the next 10 years.
Agreed! :thumbsu:

Oh I get it. I'm supposed to come in here and pump your tyres up because despite the fact that we won the premiership last year, clearly you were better. Sorry, what was I thinking? Clearly Hawthorn are the greatest team that ever was and we should all just give up and hand over the cup now.

Feeling better? :rolleyes:
when did i say that? im saying we are a bogy side for you, its not a load of rubbish its fact. until you beat us properly with no excuses either way the flag means nothing to me, you didnt beat us to win it, had we not started so poorly you may have had to. 2011 new year hopefully for your sake you guys know how to beat us.

when did i say that? im saying we are a bogy side for you, its not a load of rubbish its fact. until you beat us properly with no excuses either way the flag means nothing to me, you didnt beat us to win it, had we not started so poorly you may have had to. 2011 new year hopefully for your sake you guys know how to beat us.
I didn't say you're not. All I'm saying is I believe a few of you're lot are getting a bit ahead of themselves. There hasn't been a proper contest between the two sides at full strength in over 12 months so one can only really go by results IMO.

Weak attempt. At least I quoted you verbatim!
I'm pretty sure if I wanted to take various words of yours from various posts I could confidently quote you as having said "Hawthorn are flogs". Quoting out of context is kindergarten stuff so you got some back! :p

I'm pretty sure if I wanted to take various words of yours from various posts I could confidently quote you as having said "Hawthorn are flogs". Quoting out of context is kindergarten stuff so you got some back! :p

No I didn't. You didn't quote me out of context. You made up some shit I didn't say. Next time you do it, at least make it funny!

No I didn't. You didn't quote me out of context. You made up some shit I didn't say. Next time you do it, at least make it funny!
Selectively separating a piece of text to remove its context and quoting it out of context is no different to making up the context. Go back to school and learn some real debating skills.:rolleyes:

Selectively separating a piece of text to remove its context and quoting it out of context is no different to making up the context.

You confuse context and content. You didn't make up the context, you made up the content.

PieNSauce said:
Go back to school and learn some real debating skills.:rolleyes:

This isn't a debate. Not since you said:
PieNSauce said:
I don't need to talk up my team and certainly not by comparison with yours.

After a brazillion posts doing exactly that.

A debate requires both sides to be making sense.

You confuse context and content. You didn't make up the context, you made up the content.

This isn't a debate. Not since you said:

After a brazillion posts doing exactly that.

A debate requires both sides to be making sense.
Pffft. If you can't even grasp a simple concept like context it's a pretty pointless discussion. Nice try at deflection but seriously no cigar! :rolleyes:

It's not about the back 6 anymore, it really is about the 18 on the field. At the moment Hawthorn's defense is one of the best in the league, people just get fixated on the last 6 players, who incidentally are performing well anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

exactly... 18 months ago the Collingwood back 6 was the laughing stock. Heath Shaw has always been good one on one however any team with decent tall forwards could get hold of them.

Individually Maxwell, O'Brien, Reid, Brown are far from world beaters. Its more about the other 12 blokes on the field a) restricting the number of I50's and b) restricting the quality of the I50's

No doubt Josh Gibson played a very good game on Sunday but the dogs only had 41 Inside 50's and the quality of the ball coming in was pathetic. i.e. our midfield and forwards did a great job.

Cling on as hard as you can! Pretty much everyone else knows how much that match meant to the Pies players. Now let me see... get injured or play in finals. Hmmm... Difficult choice! :rolleyes:
There's no such thing as a dead rubber in footy. Simple.

Really think Mick Malthouse would've walked in before the game and said hey boys don't play too hard when you get out there we don't wanna get hurt.

If it was such a dead rubber why didn't the rest the stars such as Pendells, Thomas, Swan, Jolly and Cloke?

But no the only decent player they had out was Didak and Hawks had Hodge out so Hawthorn were clearly in the disadvantage.

No doubt Josh Gibson played a very good game on Sunday but the dogs only had 41 Inside 50's and the quality of the ball coming in was pathetic. i.e. our midfield and forwards did a great job.

We have been very good at stopping inside 50s this year, I think we've conceded the second lowest average inside 50s each game this year. What is interesting is, that this isn't because we are killing teams at the clearances, we rank quite poorly for centre bounce clearances, and clearances in general. So clearly the way we setup further up the ground when the opponent gets possession is doing a great job of keeping the pressure off the back line. Rioli magic's post hits the nail on the head, defense isn't just about the back 6 these days.

Mind you, it still leaves open the question on how the back six WILL go if we come up against an opponent who can crack open the structures we've put in place to avoid inside 50 entries. Carlton are the clearance kings this year, it will be interesting to see if they can convert that into forward 50s better than most other teams have been able to so far this season.

Geelong did for periods in their game against us from memory, although we did win the inside 50s that day, and they didn't win clearances by much, but I seem to remember they had some important stretches of clearance dominance when the game was up for grabs in the 4th, although ultimately I thought that game was won by their defenders who were excellent.

If pies bring their third quarter performances this year against us for most of the game, we should beat them easily. Fingers crossed they don't bring their 4th quarters though, in which case we'll be in trouble!

There's no such thing as a dead rubber in footy. Simple.

Really think Mick Malthouse would've walked in before the game and said hey boys don't play too hard when you get out there we don't wanna get hurt.

If it was such a dead rubber why didn't the rest the stars such as Pendells, Thomas, Swan, Jolly and Cloke?

But no the only decent player they had out was Didak and Hawks had Hodge out so Hawthorn were clearly in the disadvantage.
Well you keep clinging on to that if it makes you happy! :thumbsu:

LOL! You quote a pies fan and label the content as "sensible and fair minded"
That's right. That post did seem sensible and fair minded, and I agree with what was said. I certainly don't have any excessive negative feelings for Hawthorn, except that brown and gold is the worst colour combination in the league, and it seems to me the poster was just sharing a non-biased opinion.
and then dismiss the hawks fan with, "Yeah but you're biased", and claim he isn't credible because he hates Collingwood.
Correct, but that's only because I did a quick review of that posters previous posts that confirmed that he/she does not like Collingwood as I had said in my previous post. If that poster had not admitted that, then that would make it quite different.
Hell, that would make the supporters of at least 14 other clubs non-credible too (not sure if the gold coast fans have learnt the natural order yet).
No, not at all, and it seems you're missing the point. If a poster has used insulting names to describe Collingwood supporters, and has admitted that he/she does not like Collingwood, then any opinion regarding Collingwood cannot be possibly considered credible, so it's not the team they barrack for alone that determines that of course.
BTW, care to address your arithmetic on your claims about Buddy's average goals versus the Pies over his last 4 games?
I've already said that it wouldn't have made any difference to the final margin of 64 points, which should have been much more due to Collingwood's inaccuracy that night.

The fact is, Ellis wasn't good enough to ice the game.
Of course he is good enough to have done that, although I don't remember it. Collingwood had seven more scoring shots and are good enough to have not wasted so many of those shots, but it happens sometimes.
The fact is, Beams wasn't good enough to win you the game.
That's not fact at all! If anybody thinks that Dayne Beams is not good enough to kick a simple goal from 30 metres is delusional. Of course he is good enough, but misses occur sometimes and that is what happened at the time. He shouldn't have missed because he is good enough to have kicked it, but he didn't at the time.
The fact is, in round 22 2010 Collingwood weren't good enough to beat Hawthorn.
That's not fact either. Collingwood were definitely good enough to win that match without any doubt. Wasted shots and a lack of incentive was the difference against a team that kicked straighter and had incentive to win. Collingwood controlled most of the match and the stats clearly indicated that they were good enough to win, but I can understand them going at only about 70% intensity in a match that didn't matter with the finals starting the following week.
The fact is, the result of round 22 2010 will have no impact on the results in 2011.
I don't know yet if that is fact either. Lessons may have been learned from that match to help the next time the two teams meet each other. I'm sure Collingwood would be quite confident considering they got so close despite wasting more shots at goal and not having an incentive to win against a team that made the most of their chances and had an incentive to win. It seems to me from these points you've made that you may struggle with lateral thought.
The fact is, the result of round 4 2010 will have no impact on the results in 2011.
See above.

You could have 1000 monkeys typing 1000 words on bigfooty for 1000 days and you still wouldnt change the fact:

R 22 2010, Haw d Coll. Haw were better in the main KPI of AFL football - the team which scores most

It has no relevance to this year but it was still a win

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn's back line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back