Hay - gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

For me he has the off season and next pre-season to make his mind up whether he wants to be a footballer or not.

If he is not right physically and mentally by then the club should be looking at their options. He shouldn't play seniors until then.

Haven't totally written him off, but it's not looking good.

Hay is probably one of recent football's saddest stories (bar the obvious ones). I wouldn't be surprised if he has a mental illness which is affecting his physical condition, and obviously his mental state. I'm not a medical doctor, but he seems to have lost his passion for football, and generally seems lethargic and disinterested. Don't know what he is like outside of football, but you never see him crack a smile.

Also, his record with alcohol, whilst it is limited to one known incident, may suggest he is an alcoholic, which may be an indicator to a deep seeded problem. I see parallel's with Long John Daly.

That said, he could just have wasted a heap of talent and let himself go.

Mental illness is a terrible thing. My family has been severly effected by it. But it is treatable and managable with the right support network. But it is all in vain if the person suffering the illness is unwilling to go through the hard yards to come out the other side.

Wayne Schwass suffered from mental illness throughout his career: premiership player, mulitple B&F winner with 2 clubs

Nathan Thompson: one of the most valuable key forwards playing at the moment and comfortably our most important player at the moment.

Each case is different obviously and we really are speculating regarding Jon Hay and i doubt we'll ever really know. But from what i can gather and what i have heard, his dramatic drop in form in recent years is as much the consequence of poor lifestyle choices he has made and basically a disinterest in working as hard as one needs to to achieve their absolute best as it is any deeper seeded problem.

I am just gutted the decison makers at North either couldnt see this or had the wool completely pulled over their eyes by the player and his manager before going to the lengths they did to get him to our footy club.

Maybe Jonny should get a "real job" for a couple of weeks - y'know, dishwasher or something.... that might make him appreciate his talents (and the dollars) a bit more and have a fair dinkum stab at it.

You'd think that Thommo might've been able to have some sort of influence on the guy, if only through his actions - so maybe there is more to it than merely a lack of form/passion.

Lidge made a good comparison before about Rocca and a real pre-season - should probably stick with him 'til then ......unless you can trade him to Essendon ;)

hay being mentioned in the bests for tassie is a ploy by the club to stop talk... in the local tassie paper they described his game as hopeless and that his oponents must have had bird flu because he wouldnt go anywhere near them.
he has been named a couple of times in the bests despite playing really poorly.

glen dean said:
hay being mentioned in the bests for tassie is a ploy by the club to stop talk... in the local tassie paper they described his game as hopeless and that his oponents must have had bird flu because he wouldnt go anywhere near them.

'Hopeless' is a bit of an improvement from one of his previous games for Tassie which was described as ''abominable". As for his opponents, they were obviously running to the wrong spots.

Looks like if he's not yet 'back in town' he's at least heading in the right direction.

Mr Reliable said:
'Hopeless' is a bit of an improvement from one of his previous games for Tassie which was described as ''abominable". As for his opponents, they were obviously running to the wrong spots.

Looks like if he's not yet 'back in town' he's at least heading in the right direction.

so next week when its described as sh*th**se he is a step closer to regaining senior selection :D

DynamoUltra said:
Hay is probably one of recent football's saddest stories (bar the obvious ones). I wouldn't be surprised if he has a mental illness which is affecting his physical condition, and obviously his mental state. I'm not a medical doctor, but he seems to have lost his passion for football, and generally seems lethargic and disinterested. Don't know what he is like outside of football, but you never see him crack a smile.

Also, his record with alcohol, whilst it is limited to one known incident, may suggest he is an alcoholic, which may be an indicator to a deep seeded problem. I see parallel's with Long John Daly.

That said, he could just have wasted a heap of talent and let himself go.

I didn't want to make the call Doctor, but there's no doubt that he's struggling big time. One more preseason & if he doesn't improve then do everybody a favour & delist him.

Was at the game Sat night and Hay was plain and simple pathetic.Went out to the q time huddle to listen to new coach Brendon Bolton and was interested to see Hay's reaction to what was being said.Fair dink he was off with the fairy's.looked stoned out of his eyeballs.And also played like it.

crashroo34 said:
Was at the game Sat night and Hay was plain and simple pathetic.Went out to the q time huddle to listen to new coach Brendon Bolton and was interested to see Hay's reaction to what was being said.Fair dink he was off with the fairy's.looked stoned out of his eyeballs.And also played like it.

Donald McDonald must have been one hell of a salesman.

gokangas said:
Donald McDonald must have been one hell of a salesman.
One outta three ain't bad (Thommo!!!) . Considering that Thommo is a chance to snare the B&F this season. ;)

crashroo34 said:

Thanx for the lowdown crashroo34. What's the story behind Matty Armstrong quitting??? :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember hearing on the radio a couple of months back (Mike Sheahan on 3AW I think) that this was the final year of a 3 year contract North had taken over and thus we would be re-negotiating at year's end.

Anyone have any concrete info on his contract?

For what it's worth, as much as I hate him ATM my gut tells me he will come good and be OK for us next year. A good pre-season will be important, and surely something has to click. Surely.

glen dean said:

I watched the game against Frankston the week before last. You have just described in a nutshell what I saw. Being named in the best I cant see how this can happen when there was absolutely no will and he clearly was not even trying. First thing he needs to do is change his attitude and then I would still have to see it to believe it.
I suppose they have to do something to keep people quiet about footys biggest recruiting disaster.

The Zebra said:
I remember hearing on the radio a couple of months back (Mike Sheahan on 3AW I think) that this was the final year of a 3 year contract North had taken over and thus we would be re-negotiating at year's end.

Anyone have any concrete info on his contract?

For what it's worth, as much as I hate him ATM my gut tells me he will come good and be OK for us next year. A good pre-season will be important, and surely something has to click. Surely.

He is in year one of a three year contract at the kangas. One of the reasons he claims he left was Hawthorns refusal to give him a three year contract.
We must have looked like Father christmas.

I reckon delist the pr!ck and don't pay him a cent. Let him try to sue us. How can he do us for breach of contract when he breaches his contract every weekend he puts the boots on !

Nevbuster said:
I reckon delist the pr!ck and don't pay him a cent. Let him try to sue us. How can he do us for breach of contract when he breaches his contract every weekend he puts the boots on !

If he's not at least trying he should be delisted. I can't see how a club can be held to ransom by someone who is not even trying. Imagine if Spider Everitt fell out with the Hawks and decided that for the rest of the season he'd just jog up and down the middle of the ground for Hawthorn or Box Hill, despite the coach's direct orders to pick up his man, get to the contests, etc. It has to be a breach of contract on the player's part.

Any Judge Judy's out there???

Could you imagine a player doing this under Barass or Kennedy ? He'd have to move to Costa Rica for his own safety. Stop giving him the soft option JYD, this touchy feely support is b#l*****.

Mr Reliable said:
Perhaps a little drastic for Browny. A game or two in the VFL might sharpen him up, especially if he plays for Tassie and has to cover for Jon.
If two years of AFL football haven't been able to fix him, nothing will.

The biggest waste of space in the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hay - gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back