HDFL Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

HB/Swifts then daylight to the rest.

HB lacking some depth but their top end talent gets them through. Concerns for the future of the club with no U17s and an aging list though. Not many merger options down that way.

On SM-S911B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'd say none other than Edenhope (who have issues of their own with juniors) unless they want to look at switching leagues.

Cavendish or Coleraine perhaps.
But that would more than likely see the HB players becoming part of a merged entity playing in the SWDFNL.

Unless Edenhope joined forces given that club's issues with Apsley and Borders.
Good call Mortlock ... I didn't see your post (I think I'd started mine but got distracted and didn't finish it ;)). I was thinking the same thing with the SWDFNL as an option. I assume you've seen the whole mess with Maryborough in the Bendigo league? Country footy is going thru a few struggles.

After watching multiple HDFL & Wimmera league games lately the Wimmera league is absolutely miles ahead in standard. 8 - 10 years ago the gap wasn’t so great but the standard has really dropped off significantly.

Interesting listening to Kuchel on the radio this morning slamming clubs for bringing in Bennell type players saying it compromises the results, ladder etc. Used Daisy Thomas playing for Nhill to give them a win v the Giants a few years back costing the Giants a finals berth...

Nothing is fair in Country footy, clubs forever and day work around the salary cap etc, paying players for farm work or the missus to play netball.

Bringing in these 'stars' at least gets people through the gates & dollars in club coffers to keep them alive.

Today's results:

Laharum far to strong for Natimuk. They look to be really struggling to put a competitive side on the park.

Kalkee took it right up to NQ. Kees in front late in the last qtr before two goals in the final minutes snatched the win for the Bombers.

Pimp back to the pack after some soft wins to start the year. H/B did a job on them.

K/L get on the winners list thanks to Bennell. Taylor's Lake won't be upset with having to face the fly in recruit. They've done it plenty over the last few years too.

Rup too strong for Edenhope who are trying to keep things together in the West Wimmera.

Last edited:
Interesting listening to Kuchel on the radio this morning slamming clubs for bringing in Bennell type players saying it compromises the results, ladder etc. Used Daisy Thomas playing for Nhill to give them a win v the Giants a few years back costing the Giants a finals berth...

Nothing is fair in Country footy, clubs forever and day work around the salary cap etc, paying players for farm work or the missus to play netball.

Bringing in these 'stars' at least gets people through the gates & dollars in club coffers to keep them alive.

Today's results:

Laharum far to strong for Natimuk. They look to be really struggling to put a competitive side on the park.

Kalkee took it right up to NQ. Kees in front late in the last qtr before two goals in the final minutes snatched the win for the Bombers.

Pimp back to the pack after some soft wins to start the year. H/B did a job on them.

K/L get on the winners list thanks to Bennell. Taylor's Lake won't be upset with having to face the fly in recruit. They've done it plenty over the last few years too.

Rup too strong for Edenhope who are trying to keep things together in the West Wimmera.

Good summary ... I usually listen in the Shirtfront (morning show) and the afternoon game itself, but I missed it yesterday. I remember that Nhill game and it was 1 point if I recall (definitely less than a goal) and the Giants as they were then didn't bleat (at least nothing publicly). Not suggesting that TL are going to either as you say, it'd be a bit hypercritical.

Laharum would be well pleased all things considered. Nice test for them next up against the Swifts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good summary ... I usually listen in the Shirtfront (morning show) and the afternoon game itself, but I missed it yesterday. I remember that Nhill game and it was 1 point if I recall (definitely less than a goal) and the Giants as they were then didn't bleat (at least nothing publicly). Not suggesting that TL are going to either as you say, it'd be a bit hypercritical.

Laharum would be well pleased all things considered. Nice test for them next up against the Swifts.
Credit where it’s due, given how much they were battling last year Laharum have done well bouncing back. Looking at there points it’s not through ring ins either.

I can see kuchels point. Why waste money on mercenarys to get an extra win here or there and finish out of the finals anyway? Fair enough if it’s a fevola of Ablett that brings in the extra crowd and exposure but outside of that, just seems short sighted and a culture killer.

Credit where it’s due, given how much they were battling last year Laharum have done well bouncing back. Looking at there points it’s not through ring ins either.

I can see kuchels point. Why waste money on mercenarys to get an extra win here or there and finish out of the finals anyway? Fair enough if it’s a fevola of Ablett that brings in the extra crowd and exposure but outside of that, just seems short sighted and a culture killer.
If you had seen the emotion in the rooms after the game you can see that it meant a lot to the Kaniva boys to get a win on the board. Looking from the outside in the use of Bennell may seem a waste of money but it certainly got the cougars enthused. Dont think Kaniva would have too many paid players in their side almost all are locals. Taylors Lakes with a fair sprinkling of NT talent. Kaniva used 29/42 pts with Bennell as a 6 Lakers 41/44,

Last edited:
If you had seen the emotion in the rooms after the game you can see that it meant a lot to the Kaniva boys to get a win on the board. Looking from the outside in the use of Bennell may seem a waste of money but it certainly got the cougars enthused. Dont think Kaniva would have too many paid players in their side almost all are locals. Taylors Lakes with a fair sprinkling of NT talent. Kaniva used 29/42 pts with Bennell as a 6 Lakers 41/44,
Glad to hear they enjoyed it.

Any clue as to how much a club would fork out to get a player like this?

I must admit, I needed to google him :oops: ... it's this guy, right?

Definitely no Abblet/Fevola but you can see him doing well running around in any of the district leagues!

Covid really hurt Kaniva. Not that they are alone, but think about them changing leagues basically to stay within their home state, but by doing so they've significantly hurt their chances to recruit from Adelaide-way. Per what I read on another thread, sounds like they've discussed going back to the KNT (SA) league but they'd really need to start recruiting if they were to do that. That is a very strong league these days although not without its own issues with juniors and the whole Limestone Coast restructure.

Swifts have picked up two handy players before the June 30 cut off Andrew Cameron and Chevy Elliot. Cameron in particular will be a great foil for sommers up forward. They look to be having a real crack at a flag at there home ground this year, ressies to

Swifts have picked up two handy players before the June 30 cut off Andrew Cameron and Chevy Elliot. Cameron in particular will be a great foil for sommers up forward. They look to be having a real crack at a flag at there home ground this year, ressies to
Good observation ... they're a 5 goal better side at home too :cool:

A few thoughts from today's results.

Harrow Balmoral super impressive against the undermanned Kalkee. Was mentioned the Kees had 16 players unavailable through injury this week.

Noradj Quanny beat up a Bennell-less Kaniva. NQ definitely top 3 behind HB & Swifts.

Edenhope continue to prove the doubters wrong with a win over Pimp. They have been competitive in all games bar losses to NQ & HB. Pimp have fallen off the pace after 6 wins to start the year against the lesser sides.

Solid wins to Swifts & Rup. Ticking boxes.

Harrow Balmoral super impressive against the undermanned Kalkee. Was mentioned the Kees had 16 players unavailable through injury this week.

Noradj Quanny beat up a Bennell-less Kaniva. NQ definitely top 3 behind HB & Swifts.

Edenhope continue to prove the doubters wrong with a win over Pimp. They have been competitive in all games bar losses to NQ & HB. Pimp have fallen off the pace after 6 wins to start the year against the lesser sides.

On SM-S911B using BigFooty.com mobile ap

I'm not sure KLU have taken a beating of that magnitude in this league. It does highlight the massive gap between top (3-4) sides and the rest in the league. The guys on 3WM were commenting on that as well...basically that the league is not as strong right now. Does it justify having a top 6?

Great result for Edenhope and Pimp must be pretty disappointed with that effort unless they had a ton out like Kalkee?

Definitely agree that the top Wimmera league reserves teams would be playing district league finals. Not great for football but sadly that just reality.

Definitely agree that the top Wimmera league reserves teams would be playing district league finals. Not great for football but sadly that just reality.
Bear in mind, the district league lost J-R this year .... it's not like the merged entity was ever going to play in the district league over the Wimmera league, but it's definitely left a hole.

Given the perceived standard drop, what does that say about the health of the HDFL? Which clubs are going to struggle to keep fronting up if their fortunes don’t change? EA? KLU? TL?

Given the perceived standard drop, what does that say about the health of the HDFL? Which clubs are going to struggle to keep fronting up if their fortunes don’t change? EA? KLU? TL?
Yeah all three. Natimuk are fielding one of the worst senior teams in memory too.

The population just isn't there. As mentioned previously it's concerning to see even where Harrow Balmoral might be in a few years also. When the the Closes', Pekin retire, no U17s, not much coming through.

It's up to clubs to decide their fate. TL have been vocal in wanting to merge with someone/anyone. Credit to Laharum who put out a call to past players to come back & drag them out of the mire.

Remove this Banner Ad

HDFL Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back