HDFL Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

HDFNL & WFNL Clubs have been flooding the Wimmera Mallee HQ with underage permit requests to allow top age U11s to play U14s & U14s to play U17s as clubs struggle to put sides together. 95% have been knocked back by the sounds. Laharum had 8-10 rejected yesterday, causing a huge frustration to club officials, coaches and parents with the real threat of clubs not being able to field sides. Many in the same boat.

Had heard of several clubs been left frustrated by applications being rejected just 3 days out… What reasons did kids get knocked back for? Maybe they want clubs to fail?

Had heard of several clubs been left frustrated by applications being rejected just 3 days out… What reasons did kids get knocked back for? Maybe they want clubs to fail?
I'll stand corrected, but I don't think this is AFL Vic. They may be enforcing the rules as established, but it's a national i.e. Federal Government thing. Certainly quite out of touch with how country footy clubs work - certainly now but even in the "old" days you always had kids going up a grade. 99.9% of the club coaches/administrators would never put a kid at risk if they weren't ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Harrow have pulled there 17s team out for the year due to numbers. It’s a worry when even the big clubs struggle for numbers. Hopefully they can get a team back on the park in 2025

Apparently Harrow have pulled there 17s team out for the year due to numbers. It’s a worry when even the big clubs struggle for numbers. Hopefully they can get a team back on the park in 2025
Yes, confirmed to clubs yesterday. Another blow to the HDFNL junior program. Hopefully the HB lads now missing out on a game can assist other clubs with numbers.

On SM-S911B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I wonder how badly they were impacted by permits not being issued and not being able to play Under 14s up a grade.

There may be a few that head off to boarding school in the likes of Hamilton and aren't back home on the weekends, but I'm not sure.

Some interesting results from yesterday. The comp looks more even than other years.

Rup beating Quanny is big
Edenhope weren’t far off stawell
Laharum gave Harrow an almighty scare. Harrow wouldn’t want many injuries. Looking at there twos results it doesn’t look like there’s much depth there

This season is shaping up to be far more even and interesting than most thought. Rup weren’t far off HB today. Stawell thumped Nati? The win was likely but by that much? Are swifts favourites instead of HB?

This season is shaping up to be far more even and interesting than most thought. Rup weren’t far off HB today. Stawell thumped Nati? The win was likely but by that much? Are swifts favourites instead of HB?
HB still favourites for me ... admittedly I was only listening to it on the radio, but they seemed to have Rup's measure when it was needed.

HB/Swifts then daylight to the rest.

HB lacking some depth but their top end talent gets them through. Concerns for the future of the club with no U17s and an aging list though. Not many merger options down that way.

On SM-S911B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back