HDFL Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The rumours that fly around about what clubs spend on players are ridiculous. There’s no way Laharum are going to pay an 18 year old with no points on the board 8k a year, likewise HB aren’t going to pay $500 a game to a young bloke in and out of the seniors. When you hear rumours like this its probably wise to halve the amount and then halve it again.
I fully agree, far to many rumours don't know what to believe

I fully agree, far to many rumours don't know what to believe
Perhaps I need to rethink who I listen to. Maybe the bloke had the numbers wrong but he was confident that it was upwards of 400 a game. 8k mustve been for the older fella Will Brennan, bloke I was talking to is a local footy know-itall but can barely tell left from right.

The rumours that fly around about what clubs spend on players are ridiculous. There’s no way Laharum are going to pay an 18 year old with no points on the board 8k a year, likewise HB aren’t going to pay $500 a game to a young bloke in and out of the seniors. When you hear rumours like this its probably wise to halve the amount and then halve it again.
Also could be applied to IQs

I haven’t seen much of the Horsham district footy. How would the league compare to other leagues like North Central and MCDFL???
Like most Country footy leagues the standard of the HDFL (and WFL) continues to fall.

Harrow/Balmoral are by far the best side in the competition thanks to their top 6 but with the aging stars and no 17s how long til they fall away? What's the future down there?

Stawell & N/Q will fight out who plays them in this years GF.

The other finalists are just the best of an ordinary bunch of teams. Laharum have done well to jump off the canvas but Rup & Pimp are still average sides at best.

On SM-S911B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Like most Country footy leagues the standard of the HDFL (and WFL) continues to fall.

Harrow/Balmoral are by far the best side in the competition thanks to their top 6 but will the aging stars and no 17s how long til they fall away? What's the future down there?

Stawell & N/Q will fight out who plays them in this years GF.

The other finalists are just the best of an ordinary bunch of teams. Laharum have done well to jump off the canvas but Rup & Pimp are still average sides at best.

WFL strong as it’s been PP for a number of years!

WFL strong as it’s been PP for a number of years!
Do you think? Most even maybe but the quality of footy is still falling away.

More & more kids playing. Horsham & Saints have played up to 6 U18 kids each at times.

Most positive thing I've seen all year is the results from Nhill. They have been super impressive.

Junior numbers across both leagues the major concern. The AFL continues to trot out the Auskick numbers are as 'strong as they have ever been' but the drop off at U17 level is hard to ignore. Games of 14 a side are now the norm. 3 HDFL teams without stand alone teams. The two Horsham WFL clubs haven't fielded full teams for the 1st time ever in 2024.

Do you think? Most even maybe but the quality of footy is still falling away.

More & more kids playing. Horsham & Saints have played up to 6 U18 kids each at times.

Most positive thing I've seen all year is the results from Nhill. They have been super impressive.

Junior numbers across both leagues the major concern. The AFL continues to trot out the Auskick numbers are as 'strong as they have ever been' but the drop off at U17 level is hard to ignore. Games of 14 a side are now the norm. 3 HDFL teams without stand alone teams. The two Horsham WFL clubs haven't fielded full teams for the 1st time ever in 2024.

All fair points.
But your initial comment was the standard of the HDFL and WFL has continued to fall.
I’m saying and plenty of WFL followers will say the standard is higher this season but yes your junior comments are totally correct it continues to be a statewide problem.

All fair points.
But your initial comment was the standard of the HDFL and WFL has continued to fall.
I’m saying and plenty of WFL followers will say the standard is higher this season but yes your junior comments are totally correct it continues to be a statewide problem.
Covid has buggered junior sport. Those kids who have missed 2 years of development at the younger end have found it hard to compete after the break. Speaking with some junior coaches over Bendigo way there has been a huge drop off in numbers because footy has become too hard for kids to put in the effort and things they found to do during covid remain to absorb their time.

All fair points.
Yeah l probably went off on a different tangent there but respectfully disagree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kalkee had a strong win at KLU yesterday, was interested to see Bennell line up for the Cougars, but he was absent despite being named, heard he missed his flight.
Bennells got a crook back. Game never reached any great heights. KLU only 3 or 4 handy players off being a decent team. Missing their ruckman yesterday, Grinnings ruckwork was handy for Kalkee, gave them 1st use at ballups and the main 2 midfielders cleared the stoppages a lot. No41 was BOG and Kalkees f/f kicked 6 or 7

Bennells got a crook back. Game never reached any great heights. KLU only 3 or 4 handy players off being a decent team. Missing their ruckman yesterday, Grinnings ruckwork was handy for Kalkee, gave them 1st use at ballups and the main 2 midfielders cleared the stoppages a lot. No41 was BOG and Kalkees f/f kicked 6 or 7
The third quarter was great for us, but aside from that I agree it wasn't the most exciting contest. Happy to see improvement after the last couple of years though, hopeful for a better 2025

Juniors competition looks like Pimpinio is gonna run away with it again. Think Natimuk are only chance of beating them few seniors' player on the team but based off their seniors results those players obviously aren't going to impact much

Juniors competition looks like Pimpinio is gonna run away with it again. Think Natimuk are only chance of beating them few seniors' player on the team but based off their seniors results those players obviously aren't going to impact much
spot on mate, preseason even pimp thought Natimuk was going to be the ones holding the cup at the end of the year. goes to show if your stars like Glascott, sudholz and Taylor don't show up every week! you cant rely on your rolde players such as Madin, Keddy and Darington to carry the load.

HUGE NEWS! insider sources tell me that the Landt brothers aren't happy at Dimboola. and to be quite frank i wouldn't be happy at a cub like Dimboola, sources say they are planning on moving to kalkee 2025? anyone's thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

HDFL Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back