Competitions Health and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

A nice pb for me at Chicago, a 2:47:30. Gave it everything and thought I might blow up, but hung in quite well. Amazing flat course and loud crowds. Got my six star finisher medal too, so feeling pretty overwhelmed, had a bit of a cry when I saw the Misso at the end. A world record run too by the winner apparently, amazing!

View attachment 1825904
SLAY

A nice pb for me at Chicago, a 2:47:30. Gave it everything and thought I might blow up, but hung in quite well. Amazing flat course and loud crowds. Got my six star finisher medal too, so feeling pretty overwhelmed, had a bit of a cry when I saw the Misso at the end. A world record run too by the winner apparently, amazing!

View attachment 1825904
Great effort, well done!!

Just to drill down on this a bit further because why not.

These are the final two mile splits Kiptum just ran in Chicago.

1696806057005.png
Adjusting those paces to average min per km, and you get:

1696806125656.png

So 5.40 for 2km.

How do those last 2km of his WR marathon time compare with the all-time fastest AFL combine records?

1696806258809.png

So Kiptum could run 40km and still produce the second fastest time in a 2km time trial at the AFL combine ever.

Its mind-boggling how fast that is.

Just to drill down on this a bit further because why not.

These are the final two mile splits Kiptum just ran in Chicago.

View attachment 1826000
Adjusting those paces to average min per km, and you get:

View attachment 1826001

So 5.40 for 2km.

How do those last 2km of his WR marathon time compare with the all-time fastest AFL combine records?

Kiptum could run 40km and still produce the second fastest time in a 2km time trial at the AFL combine ever.

View attachment 1826003

Its mind-boggling how fast that is.
I want that

View attachment 1825904
Top effort, alot of miles went into it, take my hat off you 🏃

View attachment 1825904
Sub 4:00 minute ks for a marathon. That's some nice work.

Went to the Melbourne marathon festival to pick up my top and got a few freebies on the way hehehe
Nice one, I was there this morning picking up my bib, despite paying for postage when I registered in November last year! Going back tomorrow morning to pick up my actual bib after they gave me the wrong one 🤦‍♂️

Nice one, I was there this morning picking up my bib, despite paying for postage when I registered in November last year! Going back tomorrow morning to pick up my actual bib after they gave me the wrong one 🤦‍♂️
I think I did that too lol grrr

I’m reviewing my list of lessons from the last marathon…
#1: Arrive at the race city two nights before so I sleep well
On the train to Sydney airport now!
#2: Familiarise myself with the first and last 5km of the course to prevent the overwhelming sensation of launching off into the unknown
That’s this afternoon’s plan.
#3: Get to the starting line early

#4: Start with the 3.10 pacer next time.

Anyone know how hard it is to access the pacers? Based on your past experience, how early should I be at the start line so I don’t get stuck at the back of the crowd?

#5: Familiarise myself with race conditions by doing more races, so the sensation of running in a crowd doesn't feel like a stampede and the real world brouhaha isn't so intense.
I did do the city2surf after the GC Mara, which was useful because it made me realise that caffeine was creating a state of mental overstimulation when I run hard. Since then, I’ve basically given up coffee, and usually limit myself to a cup of black tea a day. My head has felt better during hard runs as a result. Fingers crossed this adjustment, combined with arriving in the race city two nights beforehand, means my mind won’t going into spin cycle 2km in this time around.

Feeing pumped. 😀

Low goal: beat my last marathon time, and feel good while doing it
Medium goal: beat 3.15
High goal: beat 3.10

Last edited:

Anyone know how hard it is to access the pacers? Based on your past experience, how early should I be at the start line so I don’t get stuck at the back of the crowd?

I did do the city2surf after the GC Mara, which was useful because it made me realise that caffeine was creating a state of mental overstimulation when I run hard. Since then, I’ve basically given up coffee, and usually limit myself to a cup of black tea a day. My head has felt better during hard runs as a result. Fingers crossed this adjustment, combined with arriving in the race city two nights beforehand, means my mind won’t going into spin cycle 2km in this time around.

Feeing pumped. 😀

Best of luck mate. You won’t have any trouble finding the 3:10 pacers. They will be probably about 30m - 40m from the start line, but will arrive 10 or so minutes before the gun so you’ll have time to spot them and get near to them. I’ve paced before and instructions are to run even splits and to run to gun time. So if it takes them 30 secs to cross the start line they’ll slowly make that up over the first half of the race.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best of luck mate. You won’t have any trouble finding the 3:10 pacers. They will be probably about 30m - 40m from the start line, but will arrive 10 or so minutes before the gun so you’ll have time to spot them and get near to them. I’ve paced before and instructions are to run even splits and to run to gun time. So if it takes them 30 secs to cross the start line they’ll slowly make that up over the first half of the race.
Good to know. Thanks mate!

Feeing pumped. 😀

Great stuff, as Jonnoo said you won't have any trouble finding the pacers.

Give yourself plenty of time for bag drop if you are using it, I haven't used it in the last couple of years as the line was too long, but if you need it, just allow plenty of time. I'm a worrier, so I always get there too early, would rather be hanging around where I need to be, than wishing I'd given myself a bit more time. I try and get in the start chute, at the latest 30-40 mins before the start. If you are having trouble getting past the back end, you can usually go on the outside of the railing and duck back in closer to where you want to start, there are signs for predicted times, don't be shy, it is all self seeded, get with or ahead of 3:10, as close to the start as you can!

The first few hundred metres is uphill, so try and balance the adrenalin of start.

Once you turn into Flinders Street, it's a gentle downhill then pretty flat for a long time after that.

The hills of note are just after 30km, Fitzroy St, when you leave the beach road back up to St Kilda Rd (you run down it at ~14km) and the other one is at 36km around the Botanical Gardens, it's a bit over a km, just what you need at that stage when trying to hold pace 🙃

Watch out for slower half marathon runners along St Kilda Road and under the Arts Centre around 34-35km, you'll be running 4:XX pace, they'll be 6:XX and potentially slowing and run/walking 4 abreast! Can be a bit of a rhythm killer and coupled with hitting the uphill around the Tan straight after, is a dangerous double. Keep looking ahead and don't be shy about letting them know your there!

Sure you'll absolutely smash it, I'm bloody pumped too!

Picked up bibs this morning. Doing the 10 with* our teen; hopefully I don't impede any of you marathoners as I shuffle my way around. Good luck all!

As I walked back to the car in Jolimont, my pocket jingling with eight safety pins, I pondered better ways of attaching bibs... Seems so archaic!

*He will finish about 20 minutes ahead of me, so I use the term 'with' loosely.

Watch out for slower half marathon runners along St Kilda Road and under the Arts Centre around 34-35km, you'll be running 4:XX pace, they'll be 6:XX and potentially slowing and run/walking 4 abreast! Can be a bit of a rhythm killer and coupled with hitting the uphill around the Tan straight after, is a dangerous double. Keep looking ahead and don't be shy about letting them know your there!
This. Especially if they're wearing headphones, blocking the course, oblivious to others. If you're with your pace group it can help with getting through.

This. Especially if they're wearing headphones, blocking the course, oblivious to others. If you're with your pace group it can help with getting through.
Last night someone on the Melb Mara Community FB page put the most polite reminder to the half runners to be aware of the faster marathon runners on St Kilda Road and someone running the half melted worse than a Hawks supporter hearing about our McKay compo! Accusations of elitism and mentioning that people would be running at different paces was apparently ablest 🤦‍♂️ righto champ, just keep to the damn left!

And back one more time this morning for bib number 3 after they rang telling me they were worried when they printed the second bib they had damaged the timing chip!

Still, all sorted and ready to roll, bloody excited, run well tomorrow everyone!! :muscle::muscle::muscle:

Last night someone on the Melb Mara Community FB page put the most polite reminder to the half runners to be aware of the faster marathon runners on St Kilda Road and someone running the half melted worse than a Hawks supporter hearing about our McKay compo! Accusations of elitism and mentioning that people would be running at different paces was apparently ablest 🤦‍♂️ righto champ, just keep to the damn left!
Holy cow, this really is a thing. The organisers need to sort this shit out. Its pretty frustrating after you’ve saved a bit in the tank for the last ten km, only to find yourself darting between all manner of paces spread right across the path.

Otherwise though, it was a great morning. Good community vibes, perfect weather. I felt good the whole time, and I improved my Mara PB, but didn’t quite achieve my first two goals. Next time!

And now I’ve had my first two beers in a week and Im off to watch the Roos, so life is good indeed.

How did you go mate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back