Toast Heath Hocking

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Heath Hocking:The Mooroolbark kid cements his spot

Loving the way he goes about his footy. A real quiet achiever.

Now we have a few real hard nuts in Hocking, McVeigh, Watson and Lonergan who can win the ball and feed the runners.

I remember back in 2007 when the Bendigo boys played an elimination final where he and Reimers teared the opposition apart in the first half. I knew we had a couple of players then and i've been waiting to see this from him for a while. He has had a bad run with injuries so it's really great to get some good footy outa him.

Haha. Remember many a childhood birthday party's there.

2 Moorolbark boys playing on one another tonight.

Is Mitchell from Mooroolbark as well hey? Roller rink has gone now. Was there during the new year and nothing much has changed. i grew up in Croydon.

Mooroolbark football club was the coldest, most freezing fog filled place to play footy. The bunch of ovals sat in a kind of valley and it was a very chilly..and muddy...lots of mud.:p

Is Mitchell from Mooroolbark as well hey? Roller rink has gone now. Was there during the new year and nothing much has changed. i grew up in Croydon.

Mooroolbark football club was the coldest, most freezing fog filled place to play footy. The bunch of ovals sat in a kind of valley and it was a very chilly..and muddy...lots of mud.:p

I reckon Willi would challenge that Nobby, it took me a week to defrost after playing there.

hahahahahaha that's nothing!... You lads should try playing full-forward at 10:00 in the morning in the thirds, in the sleet & snow at Bright, in the foothills of the Victorian alps, on a day when you get done by 150 points!

**** me I thought I was gonna die of hypothermia

hahahahahaha that's nothing!... You lads should try playing full-forward at 10:00 in the morning in the thirds, in the sleet & snow at Bright, in the foothills of the Victorian alps, on a day when you get done by 150 points!

**** me I thought I was gonna die of hypothermia
I empathise with you. Although we never lost in the thirds! I'm guessing you played for KV or Greta?

I empathise with you. Although we never lost in the thirds! I'm guessing you played for KV or Greta?

yep, good get! KV. Caarn Valley!

This was 3 years before we won the flag against Chiltern. We were all skinny 13-14 year olds. It was brutal. Got smashed by 20 goals almost every game.

In later years, because of a lack of numbers, some of us would run in after the 3rds game finished, listen to the 2nds coach address the team, and run out and play again. Good times :cool:

Did you play O&K did you?

yep, good get! KV. Caarn Valley!

This was 3 years before we won the flag against Chiltern. We were all skinny 13-14 year olds. It was brutal. Got smashed by 20 goals almost every game.
Ahh, Chiltern. That must've been what, 10 years ago?

In later years, because of a lack of numbers, some of us would run in after the 3rds game finished, listen to the 2nds coach address the team, and run out and play again. Good times :cool:

Did you play O&K did you?
Yeah mate, Tarrawingee. I was in our first (and only) premiership in '06. Left in disgrace the following year, though. And by disgrace I mean got bored and left.

Ahh, Chiltern. That must've been what, 10 years ago?

Yeah mate, Tarrawingee. I was in our first (and only) premiership in '06. Left in disgrace the following year, though. And by disgrace I mean got bored and left.

haha good old Tarra.

Longer than 10 years, sadly - would have been 1993 when we won the flag; same year the Bombers did. That was a good year.

Funny thing was, I distinctly remember the night after the game, the Whitfield policeman sternly telling the local publican that he "mustn't serve anyone under the age of 15!" :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For becoming a good depth player???

Settle down.

Please fill us in with the difference between a good depth player and a depth player. And don't waffle on.

Back to the point, come to think of it, you should be wolfing that pie down. Hockings gone from a fat and slow VFL reserves player (sic) to a very handy unit in a team that just knocked off the reigning premiers.

Please fill us in with the difference between a good depth player and a depth player. And don't waffle on.

Heath Hocking v Marc Bullen.

One you keep because he adds to your list, he limits the loss when a best 22 player goes down. The other can perform a role but lacks consistency and you move out to replace with young players in the hope they become better than just a depth player.

Please note that I stated that Hocking is a depth player as it stands, not on-going. I'm sure he'll develop going further. But the thread topic is that he's cemented his spot, I don't think he has. Prismall, McVeigh and Welsh have to come in, someone has to go, I think Hocking is one of those.

Back to the point, come to think of it, you should be wolfing that pie down. Hockings gone from a fat and slow VFL reserves player (sic) to a very handy unit in a team that just knocked off the reigning premiers.

Hardly.

I never said he wouldn't make it. He was fat and I don't think I ever called him a VFL reserves player.

The reason he's become a handy unit in a team that just knocked off (an ordinary) reigning premier, is because he worked hard enough to get his conditioning levels to where they are now.

Can you not see the difference in his body shape and fitness levels?

Heath Hocking v Marc Bullen.

One you keep because he adds to your list, he limits the loss when a best 22 player goes down. The other can perform a role but lacks consistency and you move out to replace with young players in the hope they become better than just a depth player.

Please note that I stated that Hocking is a depth player as it stands, not on-going. I'm sure he'll develop going further. But the thread topic is that he's cemented his spot, I don't think he has. Prismall, McVeigh and Welsh have to come in, someone has to go, I think Hocking is one of those.

Hardly.

I never said he wouldn't make it. He was fat and I don't think I ever called him a VFL reserves player.

The reason he's become a handy unit in a team that just knocked off (an ordinary) reigning premier, is because he worked hard enough to get his conditioning levels to where they are now.

Can you not see the difference in his body shape and fitness levels?

Hocking is a depth player, Bullen was a fringe player.
You need another pie, you had an ugly skirmish with Ant robus last year and made all sorts of claims about HH including never making it at VFL, let alone AFL level. Its good that he has though:D.

Hocking is a depth player

So you agree with me.

Bullen was a fringe player.

Same thing, fringe players provide depth. Hocking is also a fringe player.
Some are just better than others.

You need another pie, you had an ugly skirmish with Ant robus last year and made all sorts of claims about HH including never making it at VFL, let alone AFL level. Its good that he has though:D.

Quite the opposite.

If you care to read back over the Hocking thread in player watch, you'll see I rated him quite highly. I rated him as a better skilled version of Pev. Pev in my eyes was a damn fine footballer for us. You'll also see I rated his pace.

In this thread - here

I thought he'd play the most games out of all our draftees/rookies in 2008, behind only Jetta. I was wrong on that one, but certainly rated him as an AFL footballer from the start. ANT and I actually agreed on that one.

ANT and I disagreed on his conditioning and his exposed form in 2008. I never said he wouldn't make it as an AFL player or a VFL player for that matter and I'm happy for you (in context) to prove me otherwise.

I raised concern about his ability to manage an injury and stated that he wouldn't be in our best side.

Believe what you like though.

So you agree with me.
Same thing, fringe players provide depth. Hocking is also a fringe player.
Some are just better than others.
Quite the opposite.
If you care to read back over the Hocking thread in player watch, you'll see I rated him quite highly. I rated him as a better skilled version of Pev. Pev in my eyes was a damn fine footballer for us. You'll also see I rated his pace.
In this thread - here
I thought he'd play the most games out of all our draftees/rookies in 2008, behind only Jetta. I was wrong on that one, but certainly rated him as an AFL footballer from the start. ANT and I actually agreed on that one.

ANT and I disagreed on his conditioning and his exposed form in 2008. I never said he wouldn't make it as an AFL player or a VFL player for that matter and I'm happy for you (in context) to prove me otherwise.
I raised concern about his ability to manage an injury and stated that he wouldn't be in our best side.
Believe what you like though.

When you look at the list, its surprising how may players are now vying for the starting 22, and Hocking is well in the mix, so I am still not agreeing with you yet.

Now longy. you have left out some of the good bits in that player watch thread, and I thank you for that thread link. I'm convinced you're a journo as you haven't let the facts get in the way, such as the little dig about being an able C grade midfielder replacement, and that HH struggles at decision making at VFL, let alone AFL level, plus all the other jibes. That pie should have been eaten by now.

When you look at the list, its surprising how may players are now vying for the starting 22, and Hocking is well in the mix, so I am still not agreeing with you yet.

He is. But he hasn't cemented his spot. Which is what this thread is about. You've agreed with me again. He's just in the mix.

And it's great to see.

Now longy. you have left out some of the good bits in that player watch thread, and I thank you for that thread link. I'm convinced you're a journo as you haven't let the facts get in the way, such as the little dig about being an able C grade midfielder replacement

If you read again, you'll see that it was Kevlin who said we don't need any more c-grade midfielders. I simply implied we can improve our list by replacing c-graders with b-graders. I was labeling Hocking a potential B grade midfielder.

Have another read.

that HH struggles at decision making at VFL, let alone AFL level, plus all the other jibes.

He did at the time, I wasn't the only one to say so.

That pie should have been eaten by now.

I never wrote him off. In fact I was full of praise before he let himself down with his conditioning. I didn't like what I saw of him last year, few did.

When I wrote the thread title I did actually mean...cements his spot..for now.

As in, he's safe for the next few weeks if he continues his good form. Time will tell though.

He has to be one of the best improvers (considering where he was last year) since the season started...imo.

I never wrote him off. In fact I was full of praise before he let himself down with his conditioning. I didn't like what I saw of him last year, few did.

I guess if you say you didn't want him at the club and you believed the club would send him on his way, not may would think you haven't written off. But, you do love that neutral corner, so all is well.

When I wrote the thread title I did actually mean...cements his spot..for now.

As in, he's safe for the next few weeks if he continues his good form. Time will tell though.

He has to be one of the best improvers (considering where he was last year) since the season started...imo.

If he's playing well and makes room for someone else, the Dons will be flying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Heath Hocking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back