Toast Heath Hocking

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Heath Hocking:The Mooroolbark kid cements his spot

Hocking would be ahead of Longergan, Skipworth and Dyson. Reimers won't get dropped as he is Knights lovechild.

Agree, I definitely think Hocking, Lonergan, Skipworth and Dyson are all on the same plane.
Add an in form Myers and Houli to that mix and we will have some dilemmas coming our way in the coming weeks...
Also, Have to remember how much Lovechild Reimers showed last year. He had no pre-season and has only played 3 games since August. If we are up and about at finals time, he will be well and truly on fire and a massive aquisition, he has great foot skills, tonnes of speed and like no other player on the aforementioned list, he has X factor, there is NO WAY he will go...

Hocking could be the first player in lonnnnnnnng time at EFC who gets dropped even though he 100% deserves to keep his spot in a winning team!

Like others have said, it's a nice position to be in and I'd hate to be in the selection room deciding who comes in and who stays out.

Riemers is not yet having the massive impact on games that alot of people thought he was going to have....

Dyson...I have to admit...is doing alright..just.

Yet another impressive game by Hocking yesterday...20 disposals,5 marks,5 clearences,kicked a goal.

He's turning out to be one our hardest hitting players we have when it comes to bringing down an opposition in a tackle or bump...even though he was light on the tackle count yesterday with 3.

He's had a great season I think and should play a big part in our future seasons.

Some have doubted this year his ability to make it as a league player...surely yesterday's game against Hawforn proves he has what it takes?

I think that the tribunal may have a big influence on who goes in and out of the team for next week!:(

Haven't doubted he has what it takes, just that he isn't in OUR best 22.

Still think that's the case and if Lloyd is the only one to cop a suspension and McVeigh's hand comes up okay, I think he'll make way for Dempsey.

He is by no means the only one but he still makes horrible decisions at times and yesterday he ducked his head in the third quarter in a big way.

Still think that's the case and if Lloyd is the only one to cop a suspension and McVeigh's hand comes up okay, I think he'll make way for Dempsey.

He is by no means the only one but he still makes horrible decisions at times and yesterday he ducked his head in the third quarter in a big way.

I must have been looking for a soothing ale after the Lloyd drama. What second in the 3rd did the duck take place in a big way Longy413?

I'll watch the game again and let you know.

The ball was kicked to him on the wing (Lonergan maybe) and he put half an arm up and lowered his head.

I reckon about half way through.

Longy413 said:

The ball was kicked to him on the wing (Lonergan maybe) and he put half an arm up and lowered his head.

If you are talking about the kick to him from Ryder on the members wing with 15.30 to go in the third quarter then yes you had better watch it on the replay.
He is 187cm not 200cm. Ryder kicked it clear over his head. There was no "ducking of the head in a big way" at all. In fact he did not lower his head at all. He leapt with one arm up but was no where near being able to reach the ball.

As far as his decision making goes he makes no more mistakes than anyone else on the ground. In fact there are a few senior players who should be questioned for their poor decisions before Hocking is as they have played 50 plus games more!

He cost us 2 goals on Saturday that were absolutely shocking disposals. Worse than any other player out there but he's not maligned yet so no one notices. He also gets caught out and is in two minds a fair bit.

I'm willing to wear a bit of that now as he can improve over the next few years. There's no reason why he can't be a Brad Sewell type in 2 years.

His hardness around the contest is great but if everyone was fit then he'd be struggling for best 22 status right now. I'd hope that he can push a guy like Welsh or even Lonergan out of the side with improvement.

If you are talking about the kick to him from Ryder on the members wing with 15.30 to go in the third quarter then yes you had better watch it on the replay.
He is 187cm not 200cm. Ryder kicked it clear over his head. There was no "ducking of the head in a big way" at all. In fact he did not lower his head at all. He leapt with one arm up but was no where near being able to reach the ball.

I know you're all mates with his old man, but don't let bias get in the way.

He didn't leap up, nor did he attempt to push back. It was a poor attempt and all those around me noticed it to.

It's not like him, he's not soft. I'm surprised, but it was bad and worth bringing up.

As far as his decision making goes he makes no more mistakes than anyone else on the ground.

I know, I said that.

The problem with Hocking is that he makes the same mistakes.
I have no problem with blokes making mistakes, none at all. When it is the same mistake, then it can be a worry.

He continues to ignore the first option and run himself or a teammate into trouble.

I do like (and he did it again) that he continues to put himself in a position to score. His ability to find a goal has been the single best facet of his game this season.

I know you're all mates with his old man, but don't let bias get in the way.

He didn't leap up, nor did he attempt to push back. It was a poor attempt and all those around me noticed it to.

It's not like him, he's not soft. I'm surprised, but it was bad and worth bringing up.

Its not biased at all. Have you had a lok at it yet? The commentators said it was a poor kick from Ryder as did the people sitting around me. Hocking had no chance of getting it and i challenge anyone else to have a look at it. Third quarter with 15.30 to go.
Seriously if you belive he dogged it then you need to wear glasses at the game!!! He did leap off the ground!!
You should refrain from commenting until you have watched it again.

Longy413 said:
I know, I said that.

The problem with Hocking is that he makes the same mistakes.
I have no problem with blokes making mistakes, none at all. When it is the same mistake, then it can be a worry.

He continues to ignore the first option and run himself or a teammate into trouble.

And when Stanton, Prismall,Monfries,McPhee,NLM,Watson and Welsh stop doing it then you can single out Hocking on his own.
My comments stand. He is not the only one who is making the mistakes. To say he is currently worse than Welsh and not in the best 22 in front of him on current form is a joke!

Its not biased at all. Have you had a lok at it yet? The commentators said it was a poor kick from Ryder as did the people sitting around me. Hocking had no chance of getting it and i challenge anyone else to have a look at it. Third quarter with 15.30 to go.
Seriously if you belive he dogged it then you need to wear glasses at the game!!! He did leap off the ground!!
You should refrain from commenting until you have watched it again.

How do you know I don't wear glasses?

I've looked at it on the tape, my only need to watch it again was to recollect the exact time.

It was too high from him, it doesn't stop the fact that he didn't go as hard as he needed to, ON THAT OCCASION.

And when Stanton, Prismall,Monfries,McPhee,NLM,Watson and Welsh stop doing it then you can single out Hocking on his own.
My comments stand. He is not the only one who is making the mistakes. To say he is currently worse than Welsh and not in the best 22 in front of him on current form is a joke!

I haven't singled him out, I said he isn't alone.
But this is a thread about Heath Hocking.

I didn't say I have him ahead of Welsh, again this is a thread about Heath Hocking. Welsh's input is below what is expected of him.

I wouldn't have him in the side either, but we don't have a lot of choice at the moment and in the heat of a final I'd play Welsh ahead of Hocking.

That said, I do think both would play and I think Hocking will handle himself well.

I'm not anti Heath Hocking, I think he's development this year has been great. His mistakes are no worse than a lot of others. I just don't think he's in our best 22, but what a great and reliable depth and developing player he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not guilty your honour. None of your allegations are sustained, Ant robus has called it correctly.

Disagree. Move on.

It will be interesting to see how he handles the intensity of the final (he's no different there to all our young players), because his big body is going to be vital.

I read during the week that he has been caught holding the ball more times than any other player in the competition this week. This is the type of thing that might have him undone in a final, he needs to take the first option all the time. Either by hand or by using what is a very good long kick, because he and we will get carved up if we over use the ball.

He's not guilty your honour. None of your allegations are sustained, Ant robus has called it correctly.

Sentence: 27 sprinkles:D

Hocking will add value in the middle against the crows friday. We need to play our best fast running game but also need some in and under muscle. He will be predicable but we can gamble elsewhere.

I love Longy v ant stoushes :D

Godzilla.jpg

Disagree. Move on.

It will be interesting to see how he handles the intensity of the final (he's no different there to all our young players), because his big body is going to be vital.

I read during the week that he has been caught holding the ball more times than any other player in the competition this week. This is the type of thing that might have him undone in a final, he needs to take the first option all the time. Either by hand or by using what is a very good long kick, because he and we will get carved up if we over use the ball.

We hope he shines of course. Now you know that stats only tell half the story. I think taking the first option is not always the right thing to do. Look at Jobe Watson, his MO is to take the best option, create an option, and not always take the first. A mitigating factor for HH is that when he prises the ball out of a pack, which is not an easy thing to do, the next link in the chain by hand or foot is is not always in the right position.

Besides, trust you to unearth a stat like that, and you should retract those allegations.

We hope he shines of course. Now you know that stats only tell half the story. I think taking the first option is not always the right thing to do. Look at Jobe Watson, his MO is to take the best option, create an option, and not always take the first. A mitigating factor for HH is that when he prises the ball out of a pack, which is not an easy thing to do, the next link in the chain by hand or foot is is not always in the right position.

Gets run down from behind A LOT.

Besides, trust you to unearth a stat like that

I didn't. MX did.

and you should retract those allegations.

No.

They do talk to him, when they are running past asking for the handball.
This is his problem, his weakness. I'd hate to speak for Ant, but I think even he'd agree.

Dont think he would ;) http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15127321&postcount=22

But I think Heath has looked 100X better playing as a inside mid and not a tagger or on the HBF. I think he's a huge key to our fortune's in tonights game.

They do talk to him, when they are running past asking for the handball.
This is his problem, his weakness. I'd hate to speak for Ant, but I think even he'd agree.

News Limited publication.

http://www.mxnet.com.au/

It's disconcerting you have the temerity to guillotine HH on the back of a commuter rag. Off with your scone Longy413 !

It's disconcerting you have the temerity to guillotine HH on the back of a commuter rag. Off with your scone Longy413 !

It wasn't idle gossip.

It was hard data, they had the highest player in each category.

Sorry Fev, you didn't really kick the most number of goals this season because the Champion Data statistic was used in a "commuter rag"

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Heath Hocking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back