Heathcote DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What does justice look like for them though?

What are the options?
To be honest, that is for the league to decide. They created the situation in the first place.

I don't expect the appeal to be upheld (as there would be something in the by-laws about games being called off at the discretion of the umpires/ground manager). But they definitely deserve to have it heard, and get a full and proper explanation from the league.

To be honest, that is for the league to decide. They created the situation in the first place.

I don't expect the appeal to be upheld (as there would be something in the by-laws about games being called off at the discretion of the umpires/ground manager). But they definitely deserve to have it heard, and get a full and proper explanation from the league.
This would not have happened under Peter Cole’s watch!

Happens regularly if someone gets a serious injury, whoever is in front wins. Heathcote have spent up big and are having a look, would they be saying to leitchy if they were in front by 2 points, hang on we should have a replay this week, they'd say bad luck we're playing north this week for a spot in the grand final

Do we know when the appeal is heard?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Happens regularly if someone gets a serious injury, whoever is in front wins. Heathcote have spent up big and are having a look, would they be saying to leitchy if they were in front by 2 points, hang on we should have a replay this week, they'd say bad luck we're playing north this week for a spot in the grand final

If scores are level in a home and away game both sides would get 2 points. Obviously can’t do that in finals so does anyone know what the rules would be if scores were level in a final? Clearly they’d have to either replay the game or wait until the injured player is taken off the ground or in the weekends case, wait for the weather to clear. That’s exactly what should’ve happened here and Heathcote have every right to be filthy although I don’t think the appeal will come to much

A bit different to an injury abandonment, the sun was out 20 minutes later and the game could've been finished, an obvious mistake by the league.

If scores are level in a home and away game both sides would get 2 points. Obviously can’t do that in finals so does anyone know what the rules would be if scores were level in a final? Clearly they’d have to either replay the game or wait until the injured player is taken off the ground or in the weekends case, wait for the weather to clear. That’s exactly what should’ve happened here and Heathcote have every right to be filthy although I don’t think the appeal will come to much

If a match is called off after half time for some reason the team in front at the time are declared the winner.

If a match is called off after half time for some reason the team in front at the time are declared the winner.
That's the rule in pretty much every league (as far as I know). I don't think anyone is disputing that part of what happened. The issue is should the game have been abandoned so quickly?

Yep understand that mate I’m just trying to work out what the rule would be in a final if scores were level. Also why the decision was made to call it off so early
Believe it would then go on ladder position but not certain of that.
The decision to call it off so early was a panicked decision without the proper deliberation that was required in that moment. Seemed everyone else at the ground had looked at the radar and knew no further rain was on the way. The AFL CV rep obviously didn't have the foresight to do that, however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously Leitchville have no interest in playing again, nor would Heathcote if they were in the same position.theres no way the decision was going to be reversed. You can’t have them play tomorrow or Friday, then butter up Saturday. That leaves the only option to push the season back a week, which doesn’t work as both HDFL and LVFL grannies would be same day, which leagues and hub would avoid at all costs. Then for example, what’s to say White Hills who are already in the GF, may not have blokes available for other reasons. It’s a shit show, no doubt, but you can’t trust a radar.
Mindful of the fact there was still a considerably amount of water in front of Heathcote bench, and now rumours surrounding players suing in the LVFL after Saturdays game due to serious injury from the ground and surrounding areas condition.

I can't see it getting overturned. The reasons may not be great,and the decision might be wrong to call it off, but it was called off
Very bizarre to call it off. I was at Diggers Rest watching the EF Romsey v Macedon that was delayed by about 25 minutes but the game was completed in the end. What a shit show this is.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Common sense says you give it at least 30 minutes and by that time we had blue sky and sunshine.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Half an hour after everything had drawn out, water at the Heathcote bench was still close to the boundary line, which was the only real issue, but still a significant one. Do we then wait another hour or two for council or a plumber to get there and unblock it, after previously unsuccessful attempts?

Do we then wait another hour or two for council or a plumber to get there and unblock it, after previously unsuccessful attempts?
The fact that there was a blockage was not Heathcotes fault and calling off a final or not replaying it when there was only 2 pts the difference with about 50 minutes of play left is a farce and it would have been a farce whoever ended up in front.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Half an hour after everything had drawn out, water at the Heathcote bench was still close to the boundary line, which was the only real issue, but still a significant one. Do we then wait another hour or two for council or a plumber to get there and unblock it, after previously unsuccessful attempts?
Half an hour after everything had drawn out was blue skies and an oval perfectly capable of having a game of football played on it.
The league board have lost any credibility supporting the decision to call the game off. Everyman and his dog that was there without a Leitchville bias (a lot from Leitchville also agree) agree a simple pause to the game was the clear and obvious decision to make.
Abandoning such a cut throat final under those circumstances deserves a proper investigation, not the behind closed doors, not allowing minutes of the meeting to be disclosed garbage that occurred Tuesday night.

reading around on other pages so asking does the hdfl do a finals type pass. i was talking to a driver today at work who had family playing across both days last week in his league and he made a valid point regarding parents grandparents and volunteers who were hit up 2 days last wekend and potentialy need to bee again this week. i get leagues cant lose money on finals with security and catering etc but finding a way to not hit the weekly contributors and supporters harder could be a good thing. single entry or a Saturday sunday ticket or a 4 week finals pass would all be easy to establish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Heathcote DFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back