Henry Slattery Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Watch it again.

Slattery's main job as a defender is to cover HIS man, Betts. He commits to the spoil while Betts stays down. Mistake #1. Carlisle had the spoil covered!
Carlisle is covering Thornton in the actual marking contest and they both fall over, so Carlisle shouldn't have to cover Betts.
Heppell follows his man, Curnow, into what he believes could be an ideal front & centre opportunity with the obvious intention of covering Curnow should he get near it. Yes he may have been a little closer, but at that distance, he could make the ground if required.
The ball falls into Betts' hands over the back.
He sells Slattery once, moves towards giving off a handball to Curnow, so Heppell covers the immediate hand-off space and forces Betts to go back toward goal.
Slattery comes again.
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
GOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLL OF THE YEAR.

Heppell and Carlisle BOTH did the RIGHT thing in that play IMO.

As a coach, I couldn't ask any more of those two in that situation, but a 100-gamer who is renowned for being a negating stopper, should do MUCH better.

Let's hope he doesn't go to Daisy FFS!

Muppet.

Calm down dude,

Pretty sure BTG has Slattery as the player at fault with that goal.....he made Henry look silly. Definately not the first and defiantely not the last player Betts will do that too....

I think Bens point is that Betts didn't Kick 8 goals on Slatts as people are claiming...

Watch it again.

Slattery's main job as a defender is to cover HIS man, Betts. He commits to the spoil while Betts stays down. Mistake #1. Carlisle had the spoil covered!
Carlisle is covering Thornton in the actual marking contest and they both fall over, so Carlisle shouldn't have to cover Betts.
Heppell follows his man, Curnow, into what he believes could be an ideal front & centre opportunity with the obvious intention of covering Curnow should he get near it. Yes he may have been a little closer, but at that distance, he could make the ground if required.
The ball falls into Betts' hands over the back.
He sells Slattery once, moves towards giving off a handball to Curnow, so Heppell covers the immediate hand-off space and forces Betts to go back toward goal.
Slattery comes again.
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
GOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLL OF THE YEAR.

Heppell and Carlisle BOTH did the RIGHT thing in that play IMO.

As a coach, I couldn't ask any more of those two in that situation, but a 100-gamer who is renowned for being a negating stopper, should do MUCH better.

Let's hope he doesn't go to Daisy FFS!

Muppet.

Bolded are the players at fault for each goal, in my opinion.

Goal #5 (Q3, 79:05): Turns Carlisle, Slattery, and Heppell inside out from the pocket.

Seeing as you couldn't get it on the first attempt, have a few more cracks.:thumbsu:

I am calm.

I was just trying to make it clear that Heppell and Carlisle played NO part in that goal. Some people have been implicating them in that goal unfairly.

And I do agree, that most of Betts goals were kicked on other opponents. Just the Slattery ones were howlers when you compare the proximity of each individual act.
(Except for maybe #2, when McVeigh completely lost him and casually cantered down 20m behind him and let him get F&C. In that one, I actually applaud Hank for at least TRYING to stop Betts!).

And like I said before, Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Ballantyne did exactly the same to him in Perth...and with the form some of the games small forwards at the moment, I shudder to think what would happen if Krakouer, Thomas, Milne or LeCras (and he's had THAT nightmare before) got hold of him!

That 21 bloke is rubbish too. Delist him.

Heppell is much closer to doing the right thing. He closes off the only avenue open to Betts. The issue here is that Slattery is already blocking the direct path to the goalsquare, and then he leaps into exactly the same spot that Heppell is covering. Leaving a gaping wide hole for Betts. You're supposed to corral the player and either stop them from kicking a goal or forcing them to offload the ball.

As for people lauding Slattery's effort, I have absolutely no problem with it. He works hard, and he obviously wants to play for the club, and his endeavour is pure. But he does not possess a keen enough football brain, and his skills are just not at the required level. The "He's learning, give him a break" thing starts to wear thin when he's in his 25th year, his 6th season, and nearing 100 games.

Of course we've got to play him, Hibberd's injured and we've really got no one else to replace him with. That doesn't mean we can't do much, much better.

I thought Hardingham's was quite a howler, probably the worst of them all.
The most frustrating part of it is that he had Hille leading 5 metres clear of his direct opponent on the half back flank which was his first option which further compounds the error.

Oh, I got it the first time. I just don't agree with implicating the innocent.

The evidence is overwhelming.

Or do I need to put it in bold?;)

The innocent weren't implicated. I left the players who were on or around Betts when he kicked goals unbolded if they weren't responsible. Carlisle was done by one turn, Heppell didn't shut him down when he came in board, and Slattery got done by a dummy sell. All three were liable, although Slattery rightly cops the brunt as he was on Betts at the time. Good on him for second and third efforts to make Betts go back and forth, but he over-committed far too easily at the end.

I am calm.

I was just trying to make it clear that Heppell and Carlisle played NO part in that goal. Some people have been implicating them in that goal unfairly.

And I do agree, that most of Betts goals were kicked on other opponents. Just the Slattery ones were howlers when you compare the proximity of each individual act.
(Except for maybe #2, when McVeigh completely lost him and casually cantered down 20m behind him and let him get F&C. In that one, I actually applaud Hank for at least TRYING to stop Betts!).

And like I said before, Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Ballantyne did exactly the same to him in Perth...and with the form some of the games small forwards at the moment, I shudder to think what would happen if Krakouer, Thomas, Milne or LeCras (and he's had THAT nightmare before) got hold of him!

Which goals on Slattery were howlers? Granted the GOTY contender was a howler, but the two of the two marks on the lead, one was taken at the highest point, the other right out in front. The first was probably gettable if Hank had timed his run a little better, but it wasn't an easy chance for him. The second, as I said at the time, wouldn't have been stopped by Morris or Waters or Adcock or any other elite small defender you wish to name. Yarran's kick was absolute perfection, the sort of kick you show kids when teaching them how to do everything right. Can't blame Slattery for an umpiring **** up either.

Heppell is much closer to doing the right thing. He closes off the only avenue open to Betts. The issue here is that Slattery is already blocking the direct path to the goalsquare, and then he leaps into exactly the same spot that Heppell is covering. Leaving a gaping wide hole for Betts. You're supposed to corral the player and either stop them from kicking a goal or forcing them to offload the ball.

As for people lauding Slattery's effort, I have absolutely no problem with it. He works hard, and he obviously wants to play for the club, and his endeavour is pure. But he does not possess a keen enough football brain, and his skills are just not at the required level. The "He's learning, give him a break" thing starts to wear thin when he's in his 25th year, his 6th season, and nearing 100 games.

Of course we've got to play him, Hibberd's injured and we've really got no one else to replace him with. That doesn't mean we can't do much, much better.

I don't think anyone's used the "he's learning" excuse. He's getting close to being a senior player. The facts are though, he's currently our best shut down small defender*. Would he be the best shutdown in a premiership contending side? I hope he gets there because he seems like a great bloke and I love his commitment, but at the moment probably not.

*I say he's a better shut down defender than Hibberd, but Hibberd offers much more on the rebound, and is probably a better overall package at this point. That's not to say Slattery won't improve his attacking game, but on the other hand, Hibberd can improve his defensive game.

If you read my post again, he has played 6 years and nearly 100 games as a negative stopper as instructed by previous coaches. His attacking flair was drilled out of him. The new coaching panel has identified this and are working with him to help him add an offensive component to his game. This is not going to happen over night...it will take time. He is also seeking help and advice from past players and coaches to speed up the process.

I thought Hardingham's was quite a howler, probably the worst of them all.

When he went up for the spectacular mark?

I criticised him doing this earlier in the season. If he improves that part of his game, goes for the 1%ers instead of the spectacular, he'll be an absolute gun mid-sized defender - like McPhee in his AA season.

Betts only kicked 4 goals on Slattery.

One was after a kick out that was turned over. Slattery got caught on the wrong side of the zone and when the ball came back in from the turnover he was caught too far behind Betts. Whether that's Slattery's fault or the way the zoning's done, I'm not sure. But I'd probably pin that one on Slatts.

One was that rubbish snap from a metre out.

One was from that bullet pass from Garlett that nobody had a hope in hell of stopping.

One was Betts getting in a better position and marking it. Beat Slatts.

Now of those goals, two were in the last quarter when the game was done. Why exactly are we hanging Slattery?

Did you forget the goal kicked by Garlett before Slattery moved positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The pass to Betts that hit him on the tit.

Argh yes, I don't think Hardingham does that too often though, I find him to be a pretty decent user of the ball but it definitely was a poor decision - Myers was also flat-footed.

While we're in a thread referring to Slattery, can I question why Slattery went sideways to Hardingham in the first place? He knew Hardingham was a better user of the ball than him (obviously not on that occassion) or he didn't want to have the ball in his hands?

Problem with this thread is that Slattery had a poor game - which is acknowledged by most posters - No need for people to dissect every part of the game in the faint hope that he may not have had a poor game.

Problem with this thread is that Slattery had a poor game - which is acknowledged by most posters - No need for people to dissect every part of the game in the faint hope that he may not have had a poor game.

The same can be said about people slagging him. He had a shocker, yes, but he was not alone. Was a bad game for everyone, not just Hank

Argh yes, I don't think Hardingham does that too often though, I find him to be a pretty decent user of the ball but it definitely was a poor decision - Myers was also flat-footed.

While we're in a thread referring to Slattery, can I question why Slattery went sideways to Hardingham in the first place? He knew Hardingham was a better user of the ball than him (obviously not on that occassion) or he didn't want to have the ball in his hands?

That's a fairly standard ploy from a kick-in.

I found it interesting that Slattery took a number of kick-ins. Dyson makes sense as a very good kick, but Slattery is clearly highly rated as well.

The same can be said about people slagging him. He had a shocker, yes, but he was not alone. Was a bad game for everyone, not just Hank

Think you are missing the point.

Usually when posters claim Player A had a poor game - It is true - You then move on along.

That's a fairly standard ploy from a kick-in.

I found it interesting that Slattery took a number of kick-ins. Dyson makes sense as a very good kick, but Slattery is clearly highly rated as well.

I agree that Dyson should've had that job.

I just don't see how Slattery is rated highly in anything other than effort - and his Movember mo.

I agree that Dyson should've had that job.

I just don't see how Slattery is rated highly in anything other than effort - and his Movember mo.

Dyson did the kick ins for the most part, but obviously Slatts was entrusted as the second in command.

Then again, his competition for the job was Hardingham and Mark "5m short of the target" McVeigh.

Don't worry about stats. Just watch this imbecile at work to realise what a complete liability he is to the side and especially the poor team mates around him who have to try and cover not only his direct opponent, but the imminent mistake if the clown ever gets the ball. Betts's goal last wekend summed him up completely, no clue. 'General of our backline'??, he'd be lucky to be peeling potatoes on KP duty.

Liability doesn't even come close to describing how much of a liability he is, should we make up a new word? Maybe he's a Slattery to the team. I actually believe the mark Betts took in the goalsquare opposed to Slattery was a true reflection of his ability. For someone who is meant to be a tight, tough, intense, tight checking defender the ease that the mark was taken with was an embarassment. Slattery would be 3-4 inches taller & probably 7-8kgs heavier & Betts just took the mark like Slattery wasn't even there. To think that he was picked on the extended bench & will more than likely play this week just makes me wonder what on earth the coaching staff see in him. Sure we're ravaged with injuries but with him in the team we may as well play a man short each week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Henry Slattery Effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Back